Skip to content

A Simple XP cap remover. Now compatible with Siege of Dragonspear!

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @BGEE123 Glad it's fixed :)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited May 2013
    Is this mode still necessary if you install BGtweaks ? I think BGtweaks v11 actually removes XP cap as well.
    @Palanthis No it is not necessary. This is just a simple way to quickly remove the XP cap for those who do not want to install any other tweaks.
  • eby5arzeby5arz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, does it work on V1.0.2014. Thanks @mlnevese .
    @eby5arz It works on any version. You're welcome :)
  • ZERSTORERZERSTORER Member Posts: 6
    But tell me this, instead of the -1 value, what shall I type???? I typed 1000000 in everywhere where there was -1 & saved & copied the files to the override folder of the game. Continued from my last save, killed the next enemy & checked my xp again. Same fu.... 161000. Pls make it easy for me cause i'm not this bright on the pc & I've just installed Windows 8 btw. Thanks.
    edited July 2013
    Looks like your override folder may be in the wrong place. Make sure it's created in the same folder your chitin.key file is.
  • OldSchoolDandDOldSchoolDandD Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the help.
    So... Now that I have no XP limit and the Console what to I do with them?

I will play through BG to TOB and love dual class builds. Don't have the patience anymore to wait for so long until the first class abilities are available.

I created 3 fighter types, used the console to level them up to 13, then immediately dual classed them to a cleric, thief, and Mage. I will run a single class barbarian as a party of four.

I know, where's the fun in playing BG with a stacked party? Play it on the hardest difficulty! I'm through to the Raider Camp and it is very balanced and the large battles are a struggle.

By the time I hit BG2 I should have both classes abilities available when I will need them most.

Just thought I'd share how I'm getting some fun out of this game 15 years after it blew my mind the first time around.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    How can I set different exp caps for different classes/multi-classes?
    @Wilbur AFAIK you can't; Set a XPCAP and the different xp requirements for each class/multiclass combination will make them cap at different levels.
    mlnevese said:

@Wilbur AFAIK you can't; Set a XPCAP and the different xp requirements for each class/multiclass combination will make them cap at different levels.

I'm not sure if I understand you here :)
    So basically what I would like to do is set the priest cap at 220k and other classes at 500k(ish). Is this doable?
    @Wilbur AsI said it can't be done AFAIK.
    mlnevese said:

@Wilbur AsI said it can't be done AFAIK.

Ok, thanks. Then I guess that if I don't want 5th level cleric spells I just wont use them :)
  • blueblue Member Posts: 39
    Im on Mac an i cant find the chitin.key
    im not sure where to put the override folder you posted

from applications theres a baldurs gate folder
    in that is the game and a game data folder
    and in that is the 00777 folder
    but i cant find "chitin.key"

please help!
    edited October 2013
    blue said:

Im on Mac an i cant find the chitin.key
    im not sure where to put the override folder you posted

from applications theres a baldurs gate folder
    in that is the game and a game data folder
    and in that is the 00777 folder
    but i cant find "chitin.key"

please help!

Edit. @mlnevese posted correct instructions :)
    Post edited by Wilbur on
    @blue read my quick tutorial about installing mods in OSX in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16334/installing-mods-in-osx-a-quick-tutorial/p1
  • blueblue Member Posts: 39
    thank you!
  • stegaltstegalt Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    So what are counted as HLA? I havn't even gotten to the nashkel mines and all my chars are level 4 and almost level 5. I dont know how high of a level will get but I am wondering what works and what doesn't?

Like, if I say hit level 11 on a druid will the 6th level spells work? or none of them? or some? And by "has tables up to level 40" I assume that means like Proficiency, HD, THAC0, etc. etc. will all be working correctly?

EDIT: So upon a quick search I found out what HLA abilities are and I don't think i'll be getting -that- high of a level haha, and as far as the tables thing goes I am going to assume what I said is true and it'll be fine so.. *download* I never really liked XP caps anyway =P
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    Question... I played through with an archer kit ranger, and for giggles I started another game to run her solo as far as I could. If it turns out that this works to get through the game, she's going to wind up around 11 or 12 instead of 8. Will I still be able to import her to my BG2 game when it releases next week? I intend to run a full party, but I don't want anyone with me except the people I plan on keeping to the end, so she maxes out on exp and becomes as utterly ridiculous as possible.
    There should be no problem.
  • SivarSivar Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2013
    @heas: I found what I believe to be a bug.
    In BG:EE 1.2 for Steam, when I apply the override files and open a game started before the mod, the game loads fine. However, when I visit the character record, the game locks up (is reported by Windows as not responding) either immediately or after clicking around on the char record for a few seconds.
    This does not happen in the Beamdog version (I have both).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Wilbur said:

Thank you for helping remove the xp cap! I just noticed a strange thing when testing creating characters with different amounts of starting experience. It seems that at least a clean fighter gets an extra hp roll if he starts with enough exp to level up at least once during character creation. I tested this several times with a fighter that started at level 9 and he always had 100 hp (no CON bonus) at easy difficulty. A level 2 fighter always started with 30 hp (no CON bonus).

mlnevese said:

@Wilbur You're welcome. That is strange and may be connected to the Con exploit bug even if you have no Con bonus. You shou report it in the bugs section.

It happened to me too, I do not think it is a very bad bug indeed.
  • matrikkelmatrikkel Member Posts: 3
    Seems that I missed something. I have the override directory in here:

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override

and the three files
    XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA
    inside the override-dir, but still I can't get my character over 161k cap. What's wrong?
    edited November 2013
    @matrikkel I don't remember the Steam file structure but check that the override folder is created in the same folder where chitin.key file is.
    edited November 2013
    I am afraid, it is... the override directory in the GIF contains files mentioned above. I'am clueless. :-)

Um, the three files are doubled on the bottom of directory and BG somehow does have a double dir on the top. But still the files are in override-dir.
    @matrikkel

What's inside that double BG dir?
    @matrikkel Have you ever uninstalled and reinstalled BG? Steam may have created a new install folder in this case...

A good way to know is checking where the shortcut for BGEE points to. Just right click the icon in your desktop and check properties.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2013
    @matrikkel I have the Steam version as well, but I haven't actually gone over the cap yet, so I can't confirm it works yet.. but since the other mods that have override files work I assume it does.

My Steam BGEE directory looks like the one in your gif as far as folders go, but I don't have that extra "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder you have.
    I removed the local game content in steam (i.e.) uninstalled the game and then downloaded it again - unzipped the three files above to override directory.

That was the magic trick! Just loaded an old save and had my elf ftr/mage/thief at levels 7/7/7.

Thanks!
    @matrikkel I'm glad it works.