Skip to content

New Game Update #2 Build 2009

1235»

Comments

• NewBeginningNewBeginning Member Posts: 6
    Quartz said:

After the game wouldn't start up for me, I did a full reformat of my laptop followed by a reinstall of Windows 7 64, and the only thing I did immediately following was use Windows Update. I then redownloaded and installed BGEE to get the same problem I had before. So please, don't tell people "it's on them".

... etc. ...

@NewBeginning Congrats, you are an exception to the rule. Do you want a cookie? A pat on the back? Nothing is absolute, I wasn't saying that no one should complain, but let's be honest here: Most people didn't try as hard as you did. Most people gave up instantly. I applaud you for being reasonable and actually trying to get things running, and I am sorry you have not had success with the game as of yet.
    There's at least 20 threads in the first few pages of the Windows PC forum of people that have tried everything I have tried to no avail. It's not an isolated incident, and we're not hearing any more feedback from Overhaul on what else to try, or them even acknowledging that they're still aware of and working on the problem. It's not graphics drivers, it's not OpenAL, it's not compatability modes, it's not Nvidia/AMD control panels overriding the settings.

If they have reason to believe they can't fix the problems for everyone, just let us know so we can get our refunds and move on. But the fact remains that I (and many others, I'm sure) have installed and run hundreds of games successfully, (In my case, all the games from the recent Dungeons & Dragons Anthology, including Baldur's Gate and the notoriously buggy Temple of Elemental Evil, as well as other games of the era, Fallout etc.) and this one has given me far more problems than any other game I've dealt with.

It's especially frustrating when the Devs are asking those with problems to adjust the Baldur.ini file or send them crash dumps, when a lot of us do not have either of those things, because the problem is [i]that[/i] bad.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
  • GruloGrulo Member Posts: 109

I did 1 update today, in the evening about an hour ago. Afterward, I had messed up text for many items in the game, and lots of missing string references.

After I closed the game out, I saw there was another patch for it too. Now that I have installed the other patch and the game won't launch anymore.

So in the last 2 patches, the first one messed up a lot of string references, and the most recent is preventing my game from launching at all. I hit play from the beamdog client and when the window opens, I can an error sound and an error window that comes up and the game won't launch.

I have this exact same problem
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    This update made the game work a bit smoother. However one oddity I'm noticing is the NPCs are boogying in out out of visual range at outrageous speeds while my character still limps along. Anyone else getting that? Or is that just them moving at normal speed? Hard to tell objectively.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I hope you get a nice vacation after this! I like the game... even though Drizzit has grown smarter than a 1 year old reasoner...I would dump 20-30 bucks today if you were taking pre-orders on BG! I only had a few crashes when it 1st came out but glad you patched it anyhow!
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    Geasy said:

This patch deleted all of my quests, both finished and ones to be done, with the exception of the one main quest i'm on at the moment!!

OMG, I cannot take this sh*t anymore... what else did you guys expect from patching the game in the middle of the story/gameplay? Things like that are going to happen and it's inevitable. You change a tire before you start driving a car, not *while* doing it.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    I'm using:
    Acer Aspire 7741Z (Win7)
    Intel Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    Intel HD Graphics
    3GB DDR3 Memory
    500 GB HDD

All the patches have done nothing as far as I can see. The lagging still makes the game unplayable and the videos are so jerky they are not watchable, using non configured settings. Does anyone have any idea if a 4th patch will be out to sort out the lagging?

Thanks for any help everyone has given so far and keep up the hard work Overhaul
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @NewBeginning it's been about one week since we released the game - relax. We are aware of the issues, and will keep working towards fixing them.

In your particular case, from what you've posted and written, the most likely missing step from you is that you did not download drivers directly from the manufacturer of your video card. Could you give that a shot for me and let me know if that fixes your game's non-running issue?

The drivers included with Windows Update are not current - they may support Windows and Windows-specific systems like Direct3D, but chances of them having a proper OpenGL implementation beyond the Windows software one (which would cause the game not to start properly) are slim.

Please, send me a direct message with more information if you still can't run the game with

@JoeWalker the latest patch resolves a fair bit of performance issues for some Intel chipsets. There are a few factors at work, but, it's now running totally fine on a little Toshiba NB300 here (Intel Atom, 3100 series graphics), and on a Core i3 laptop with integrated core HD graphics on the latest drivers (important, not the ones from the manufacturer, but the ones direct from Intel's website).
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    After the 2009b patch I am experiencing the problem where journal entries disappear. Restarting the game corrects it.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Running BG:EE on a Fujitsu laptop with Intel Graphics 4 Series Chipset (OS is XP), just downloaded the latest patch. I did not notice any improvement in game-lag (just had Bassilus cast entangle and it became painfully slow), nor on the very annoying screen flickering when picking some items while under inventory screen.
    @Ignatius

Did you set your OpenGL to 1?

Also, in the BIOS how much memory is delegated to your video?
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @bigdogchris : yes, I did set up OpenGL to 1 in the .ini file. Which helped a lot and along with W95 compatibility setting, rendered the game playable.

How can I check that info about memory delegated to video?
    edited December 2012
    Ignatius said:

@bigdogchris : yes, I did set up OpenGL to 1 in the .ini file. Which helped a lot and along with W95 compatibility setting, rendered the game playable.

How can I check that info about memory delegated to video?

Boot into your system bios/setup. One of the device options in there should allow you to dictate the memory. If it's set to automatic or something, try just forcing 256MB or whatever the maximum amount is.

*edit*
    Also, try removing the Win95 mode. In another thread we possibly discovered a memory leak on Intel GPU systems in Win95 mode.

Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • abadiabadi Member Posts: 1
    where will ı download patch
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    abadi said:

where will ı download patch

either using beamdog client or the game launcher itself
  • msgbox2007msgbox2007 Member Posts: 4
    I open the game and cannot find the update link in the launch window?
    when was the most recent patch released?
    edited December 2012
    Notes haven't been released yet but update #4 was dropped recently, it's a big one too.
    @bigdogchris dropped as in cancelled?
    edited December 2012
    JoeWalker said:

Dropped as is released. It's a big patch. You can grab it right now.

* Improved Creature spawn system
    * Large multiplayer bugfix
    * Journal entry fix
    * Fixed for zoomed out and click out of bounds crash
    * Custom portrait in multiplayer game fix
    * Numerous UI fixes
    * Farsight scroll fix
    * Obe combat tutorial fix
    * Plus more...

@bigdogchris - thanks I'll check it out later - do you think it'll sort out the lagging problem for intel driver users?
    edited December 2012
    JoeWalker said:

@bigdogchris - thanks I'll check it out later - do you think it'll sort out the lagging problem for intel driver users?

No, those fixes are in the pipeline.

If you are on Intel, and are lagging, you can get the game playable by putting your baldur.exe in Win95 Comp mode (makes a huge difference). Make sure it's not bgee.exe in comp mode, that's just the launcher. Also the OpenGL version 1 fallback works good. The movies are still not playable, though.

• zealerzealer Member Posts: 30

JoeWalker said:

Dropped as is released. It's a big patch. You can grab it right now.

* Improved Creature spawn system
    * Large multiplayer bugfix
    * Journal entry fix
    * Fixed for zoomed out and click out of bounds crash
    * Custom portrait in multiplayer game fix
    * Numerous UI fixes
    * Farsight scroll fix
    * Obe combat tutorial fix
    * Plus more...

Does it fix the "only host sees all the players" and "crashes on map transition" multiplayer bugs?
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Yes, we played Mutliplayer for over an hour last night with three people jumping area, sleeping, etc.
    -Trent
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30

Yes, we played Mutliplayer for over an hour last night with three people jumping area, sleeping, etc.
    -Trent

Thanks a lot Trent!

• BlodhemnBlodhemn Member Posts: 1
    thank u