Skip to content

Fewer enemies in BG:EE (WILL BE FIXED NEXT PATCH)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    edited December 2012
    can you post the exakt position, that could help checking if its a rondom spawn or not
    Post edited by tommy on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Maybe be we should drop @Nathan name, our audio guy which always listens ;-)
    Space_hamsterPinkRose
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    This isn't just random spawns, the group of wolves behind the temple east of Beregost i split pulled a few of them, and died, reloaded and half of the monsters in the pack including one of the two vampiric wolves were missing. This is a set pack, same numbers always every time I have played this any version of BG
    [Deleted User]
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Grieg
  • FathuranFathuran Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2012
    Absolutely correct, and it has been discussed at length in this thread. I don't know whether the lack of enemies is intended or not, but it definitely dampers my enjoyment of the game and it's hard for me to play it right now because of the drop in difficulty.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8555/lack-of-monsters/p1
    catfish
  • catfishcatfish Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the link i am reading through that thread now.I am just wondering if this is a bug or if it is intentional by the developers as i thought the developers were under strict instructions not to tamper much with the core game.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Shandyr said:

Rabain said:

You should not have to increase your difficulty to insane to experience the type of game Blackisle themselves designed.

Once again, it does NOT work on insane either.
    And besides of not working at Insane diff., this is not the only thing the difficulty level sets in the game. The other difficulty levels alter everything else too: how much XP you earn, how much damage the monsters are dealing to you, etc. So the resolution of just play it on other difficulty is 2x not a resolution.
    This is not what we want. We wish the original AD&D Forgotten Realms Core difficulty back. Thanks.
    The_New_Romance
    Templar said:

The way this has been scaled, the encounters "set in stone" will be unexpectedly hard, as the newer and unexperienced players will be used to the way too easy random encounters.

Not just that. If you only encounter small monster groups you will not earn enough XP to beat the scripted enemies. We had this problem last time, we met the Vampiryc Wolf at the Temple area. We couldn't kill it because we were 1 level down as usually would been. You earn much XP from the weak groups, it is very important at the beginning of the game.
  • catfishcatfish Member Posts: 31
    Wiki states that BG1+2+expansions sold over 5 million copies so the question is why do they need to cater to a casual audience? The market for the original games were huge.
    Thanks, @mch202, I wrote two mails about this bug to Nathan and Mr. Trent too. Hope they answer as we wished.
  • PavolPavol Member Posts: 13
    How can this be, that I haven't found this thread until now? I thought it was my imagination or short memory, that there is so few monsters everywhere :(
    Please, just tell us, that it's a bug and you will fix it..., please
  • LordOfLostSocksLordOfLostSocks Member Posts: 23
    If this is going to be fixed at some point, I'll definately wait for that. If it's a feature, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it. I might just try and install my original Baldur's Gate one last time and hope it works.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    It would be good to know where the devs stand on this. Even if they say "it's intended and we are not going to change it", that would at least enable those players for whom this is a major issue to decide whether they want to play a different version of BG and/or start encouraging (or contributing to) work on a mod that restores the original BG spawn rates to BG:EE.
    PalikkaApinasazaland
    @mister_ennui: Don't say such things. This is really a bug. It don't works even at the highest difficulty. And it is definitely not correct: you choose a difficulty setting at the start, you except something what is written there, and than it's not happening. I expected no damage penalty, no XP penalty, no max HP at leveling up, etc. If I choose the "Core" difficulty = I expect the set as be as AD&D Forgotten Realms rules; and I played it with vanilla, even if I didn't know what AD&D is, I know the Core rules set from the vanilla.
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    Can fully confirm this bug. This should be top priority for patch development as it ruins the whole game balance! Also a word of the devs would be nice how this is intended or not?
    Totally baffled why the devs didnt respond to this thread yet! This is like a game breaking issue since no single respond to a 7 pages thread..
    MoomintrollThe_New_RomancesazalandPyroPat
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Perhaps the lack of response suggests it is not a bug, then.

More consideration of exactly what to do would be required before making a statement?
  • AndyMAndyM Member Posts: 21
    It is indeed a shame that more monsters are not being spawned. My party are mostly about 4th level now and stopping to fight 3 Xvarts is not really a challenge. I thought the Gnoll fortress was way too easy as a result. I'd prefer a greater challenge to be sure.
    If its not a bug then they should at least confirm it!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    Yes, the devs SHALL fix this, amongst other things, and make it the same as it was in Vanilla BG. Period.
    PyroPat
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    My guess is information is being collated in order to both provide an answer and potentially address the issue.

Or not...
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I always hated the way every corner in the Firewine ruins had a Kobold Commando behind it waiting to fire and arrow straight into your face.
    GrandeCPyroPat
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208

I always hated the way every corner in the Firewine ruins had a Kobold Commando behind it waiting to fire and arrow straight into your face.

I always hated the Firewine ruins, period.
    And let's not even get into the pathfinding woes of that map.
    PyroPat
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    "Attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The Xvart village must be a joke now.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I was just reading some stuff on the PE forums that suggested the devs restructured the mobs in BG:EE to reflect difficulty levels - if so it appears that core is perhaps a bit more nerfed than it deserves (IMO) early maps that used to have small mobs of kobolds or other weak creatures now have only one usually - hardly a challenge for a full party or even a small one even if they have been beefed up a bit (which it does not appear they have)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

"Attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The Xvart village must be a joke now.

It absolutely is. I was usually scared to go there too early since there's just so many of them blue little buggers, but now there were only 8 or 10, plus Ursa. Ridiculous.
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    Original problem in unmodded unpatched "vanilla" BG was that monsters kept respawning at the edge of fog of war when you moved at certain locations in different maps aswell as in dungeons, as far as I know there was no respawn timer they just reappeared as you moved.
    I hope when they come up with a solution to fix this it doesn't cause this again.
    PyroPat
This discussion has been closed.