Skip to content

Never buying a BEAMDOG involved game, ever.

2»

Comments

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Kozaro I'm gonna say no to 22.
  • KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
    @Coriander Agreed. It's not a bug. These shameless, beaming cats are designed to live in symbiosis with their natural enemy. Laziness.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited December 2012
    @Coriander when I first created my sorcerer with STR 18, so +1 thac0, it spawned with the usual quarterstaff. I put my prof. point in sling, so it didn't affect staves.
    That being said, in the inventory window it was reported "THAC0: 23". While it should have been 19.
    You can test it yourself, unless it was fixed with one of the last 2 patches.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

@Coriander when I first created my sorcerer with STR 18, so +1 thac0, it spawned with the usual quarterstaff. I put my prof. point in sling, so it didn't affect staves.
    That being said, in the inventory window it was reported "THAC0: 23". While it should have been 19.

Don't you get a penalty to THAC0 due to lack of proficiency, which I believe for wizards is -5 penalty?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    TJ_Hooker said:

Don't you get a penalty to THAC0 due to lack of proficiency, which I believe for wizards is -5 penalty?
    Yes, that sounds about right
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yes. BG:EE is tied to a decline in society and the world. That makes perfect logical sense with no jumps at all. Yup!

Seriously - this is a good product right now, albeit imperfect. The original wasn't so buggy - but it wasn't so clean. I LOVE hitting quick save and missing 1.3 seconds, max, as it saves. I double love transitioning between areas instantly. The new record sheets are awesome and improving.

Flaws stood out in Candlekeep because the game is aged. By the time I was at the Friendly Arm, I was playing and enjoying; it's like a small pimple on a girl you love. You're not looking at that.

If you don't love her; the pimple is all you see.

Just saying
    @SpaceInvader That's working as intended. I usually get 24 with a sorcerer... :( There's only a problem with the THAC0 display if it doesn't match the one in the text dump on the Record screen.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Coriander
    Ah ok, because... you know, a lvl1 Sorc/Mage should have 20 base thac0, so numbers over the 20 are pretty weird
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    mikehhhh said:

I have to say something here. The game isn't perfect, but I've been playing it for a while and mostly having fun. But I just have to say, expectations these days has gone to the "uber" level.

Expectations have NOT gone through the uber level. I and other expect a game that's similar to the original game. We don't even have that.
    mikehhhh said:

All games have bugs. The original BG had bugs. They didn't "Break" the original BG. It took several patches from Bioware back in the day to get BG 1 right and then everyone modded it.

This is not a new game that the developers are starting from scratch. They haven't created all the artwork, the scripts, the source code, etc. They're taking an existing game, community mods and adding new content to enhance it.

It seems to be the way of the Next Gen crowd to be okay with games to be released with bugs. 'Oh it's okay because all games have bugs'
    mikehhhh said:

But what does everyone expect? I think its awesome that I could replay BG in higher resolution with more content for only 20 bucks. A movie with a drink and popcorn is 20 bucks and that lasts 2 hours.

What do I expect? A game that runs the same as the original would be good. Not all the missing content that BGEE has. I can't believe Beta Testers are saying that it was intentional to have less monsters in the game. Re see this thread > http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10462/fewer-enemies-in-bgee-submitted-for-review/p1
    mikehhhh said:

I'm sorry that some people are experiencing bugs, but look at the positives:

1. New people are going to experience Baldur's gate and maybe that interest will result in a BG 3 one day.
    2. Its still a great value for a game as you don't have to be connected to the internet to play, its only 20 bucks, I mean my god. A burger and fries at Five Guys is over 10 bucks now.
    3. They created a wild-mage and a Monk and a Blackguard NPC. I think that's cool.
    4. BG is running in the BG 2 engine now so you can use kit's. I am playing an Archer kit.

1. New people can already experience Baldurs Gate from GoG.
    2. You can get the GoG version for $10
    3. And those NPCs were bugged on release day. The Dorn encounter at Nashkel is still bugged.
    4. Mods can already do that.
    mikehhhh said:

I mean, if you are that torqued off, just do something else for a month ( maybe watch a few movies and eat some good hamburgers ) and let them fix the bugs. Then download the updates in 30 days and play it again.

So now you're telling everybody to go away for a month so they can fix the game. No, release date was 28th November. Not 28th December.
    mikehhhh said:

By the way, I don't work for Beamdog or anything. I'm just a 40 something gamer that also happens to be a software engineer, so I kind of understand how much work these guys had to do. Respect the coders!!

:)

I'd have to question what they actually did for nearly a year as they seem to have had a lot of help from the modders.

Also, compare to other companies like Obdisian Entertainment. Other companies are starting from nothing and creating a game under 18 months. Beamdog has taken an existing game and spent nearly 12 months with the help of modders to make it worse than the original.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    To the much "beloved" OP - play the original game with the Global Variable and Beregost Crash bug. Enjoy.
  • ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32

Yes. BG:EE is tied to a decline in society and the world. That makes perfect logical sense with no jumps at all. Yup!

Seriously - this is a good product right now, albeit imperfect. The original wasn't so buggy - but it wasn't so clean. I LOVE hitting quick save and missing 1.3 seconds, max, as it saves. I double love transitioning between areas instantly. The new record sheets are awesome and improving.

Flaws stood out in Candlekeep because the game is aged. By the time I was at the Friendly Arm, I was playing and enjoying; it's like a small pimple on a girl you love. You're not looking at that.

If you don't love her; the pimple is all you see.

Just saying

I agree with this. I have been enjoying the single player experience alot aswell. I will however say I was dissapointed they launched this without a proper multiplayer hub. The main reason I paid for this, was because I was hoping to find someone to play with once in a while, without comitting to meeting at certain times a week. Kinda like it used to be on Gamespy with BG2.
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    I've finished the game just few hours ago.
    I think that even if there are no few bugs, they are not so blocking for the history itself. (and I'm writing that after having the romance with neera blocked :( )
    But the thing really important is that the BD is working on it...so I hope that all will be fixed in time...letìs be patient! ;)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    First of all thank you for the 3 patches already! I do have a question. Do these patches apply to our saved games before the patch? Or do they only apply in new games?

Another thing. BGEE launcher always warns me theres a patch, I press "apply patch" it stops responding. I start launcher again - it updates - and patch downloads sucessfuly. (not important but maybe you like to know)

Lastly, since you are listening to suggestions here @Coriander. I would like to repost this for appreciation:
    -'ESC' could bring the (options) menu up as well as down (as it already does).
    -When party is selected, when right mouse button is clicked on map, it could deselect party instead of making them walk as left button does too.

Thks!
    @Razor Any changes to the engine itself, like rendering fixes or UI most changes won't affect your save games, but changes to areas that you've already visited or NPC quests might not be reflected by your save. I can't say %100 what will affect a save. You can load a save up with an editor to see what kind of stuff is stored if you're curious.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @Razor
    What stuff is saved therefore cannot be affected by patches: Stores you visited, areas you visited, worldmap, monsters come with area/NPCs when first joined.

Most crash bugs (99.9%) don't need a restart.
    Graphic stuff, even area art or spell/item stuff, likely won't need a restart. But for items there might be exceptions.

Scripts/dialogs are 50/50. If the bug affected some variable badly, it is likely you need at least a save from before it happened. But many fixes work even in a save done after realizing a bug.
    Save often into different slots.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Hey, one of my favorite games of all time! Normally, I have to play driver regression games to get the old thing to work. Now, I'm actually updating drivers for BG! Haven't done that in years! The UI resolution is no longer painful to look at! Huzzah Overhaul / Beamdog!

Don't mind bugs as long as they fix them. I've played this game occasionally for the past 14 years and will likely continue for the next 14 years. The bugs are temporary. Baldur's Gate is forever!
  • PieSnatcherPieSnatcher Member Posts: 4
    Adanu said:

Considering the constraints they had to work in contractually, I'm amazed this game isn't buggier. If they could actually change shit, this would be a whole different story.

Want someone to blame? Blame WOTC for being assholes about the license.

Hahaha, well, crap. I didn't know we were setting the bar too high for expecting a game that was less buggy- as advertised ;)
    Maybe WOTC is to blame, but the initial reaction will probably always be unreasonably angry thoughts about the devs. Like with KOTOR 2- Loved it, but it was buuuuuuggy. I was irritated at obsidion. (I ended up not being able to progress a mission so I had to restart the game) But, I learned they were rushed by the publisher. So.... somehow that was relevant.

I think beamdog did well with the npcs and areas they have added, but I'm still a little disappointed. I've seen bugs in the BG series, but this was the first time I've had to restart due to a bug (on my first run through)
    Anyhow, I'm sure they're passionate and are good at what they do, but maybe they bit off more than they could chew? (whether it is a lack of time, resources, or an abundance contract hurdles to clear)

I still plan on getting BG2 EE (after the inevitable first wave of patches) so I guess I'm satisfied enough. I just wish they could have had more time to iron these out before releasing the game (good thing they didn't stick to the october date eh?).
    kudos to beamdog though for cranking out those patches.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Adanu said:

.... seriously? Most AA type games have a couple HUNDRED people working on them to get near 'shipping' quality, and you think 10 people is a great amount?

You people need a serious reality check on game development and how it works because you can even begin to talk again. As it is, your ignorance is showing heavily.

Here is the development team of a jewel of a game: http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=2776&tab=credits
    I don't see couple hundred people. But probably craps like Skyrim or Diablo 3 had a thousands guys working on them. Not that it matters.

The thing is, the guys from Beamdog didn't write a new game engine or made some revolutionary stuff like the Origin team back in their days, so yes, 10 people is more than enough for what should have been done.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Don't blame beamdog for your sucky computer.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @Metal_Hurlant If you don't like bugs at release and you're bringing up Obsidian... you're gonna be even more disappointed. NWN2, KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol, F:NV: those games are notorious for the bugtastic state they released in.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Most of this stuff is reported elsewhere in a better articulated way or fixed already. So moving this to not-an-issue.