Skip to content

AI Script Bug - Fighter2

PieSnatcherPieSnatcher Member Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Fixed
I've mentioned this problem before but now I think I found the cause. I feel silly that it took me this long to notice the correlation.

Current Behavior: The "Fighter Defensive" or FIGHTER2 script runs well in battle but in time causes undesired PC/NPC behavior. In my case, those that had it would cease all actions in certain areas under strange conditions: Example, in the Friendly Arm In, the PC would stop all actions every second or so on the second/third floors of the Inn (but not the first). The PC and NPCs would also periodically have this problem in a variety of outdoor maps. This made simple tasks frustrating. Also, some NPCs would cancel their current command and replace it by walking to the PC.
This problem stopped when I changed the AI to default, FIGHTER3 (I haven't tested others), or simply turned it off.

Expected Behavior: The "Fighter Defensive" or FIGHTER2 script behaves as stated in battle, and doesn't have any annoying side-effects. (It's more an absence of the above behaviors)

Final note: I've been having a fair number of problems with AI that I don't remember from before (although it has been a very, very long time since I've played the game)
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    What happens: Khalid using the fighter defensive script tries to shadowmeld.
    What should happen : Khalid should not try to shadowmeld.
  • DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    I've set Khallid to the Fighter2 script (defensive), but oddly enough I've had a game response that his Hide in Shadow failed. Think something's wrong with this script ;-)
  • DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    I've set Imoen's script to Thief4 (Ranged attack) and she also keeps trying to HiS, even though that's not written in the description...
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    The defensive fighter script now attempts to force the npc into hide in shadows mode every round. Causing them to forget their current action.
  • DisplacerDisplacer Member Posts: 13
    I looked at this script, the very first block tries to assure that the PC that has this script is always close to the main party group, specifically Player1.

What I saw about this block is it doesn't have the ActionListEmpty() component as all the other blocks have. What this means is when the script is restarted at the top, it will attempt to move to Player1 without checking to see if you have issued any manual commands, so this will override any commands you have given to him, such as walk to some point you want him to walk to. This may seem intermittent and under strange conditions because he will only attempt to walk to Player1 if he has gotten too far from the group.

I'm attaching a script that is exactly the same as FIGHTER2, but with the ActionListEmpty() added to the first block. Just unzip it to your scripts folder and select it as the script for your character and see if it solves the issues.

Don't see an option to attach files so you can grab it here:
    http://wasteland.wikispaces.com/file/detail/FIGHT2.zip

Let me know if that works any better. If not tell me what it is doing with this script and I'll try to sort it out
  • JMer806JMer806 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I think I've found a bug relating to the AI scripts for party members.

There are a couple of things:

1. "Fighter Defensive" script sometimes causes my characters to attempt to Hide in Shadows even though they are not capable - they are pure fighters or fighter kits, not dualled to a thief or anything. This happened to me with multiple characters, so I had to set their script to Cleric Defensive.
    2. The pathfinding seems bugged in relation to the above. I've noticed that anytime a Hide in Shadows attempt fails, the character will stop. This is a little annoying when you're not watching the character move from place to place (for example, when exploring an area). This affected the thief in my group (Imoen) and also the fighters who were attempting to Hide in Shadows.

That's it!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Shandyr You can tag me too, you know. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MisterFaustMisterFaust Member Posts: 2
    sorry for reviving a long dead post but I am having this issue with the above script. Has anyone found a way to fix this? The link to Displacer fix no longer works.