Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition patch 1.4 released! Korean and Russian localizations now available. Read all about it HERE
Kivan or Coran (or Ajantis)?
I've spent the first four chapters fiddling around with my party roster. I'm playing good (boo!) and have so far settled on:
* Me (Paladin)
* Minsc (That big strength is too good to ignore.)
* Dynaheir (she kind of goes with Minsc, it doesn't feel right letter her die even though her interactions are deeply annoying. Besides, I like that extra spell slot)
* Branwen (the only effective cleric choice for a good party. And her accent amuses me for some reason.)
* Imoen (Going to do the dual class mage thing at level 5 or 6. I think I've wasted points in pick pocket as I never use it - it just feels wrong).
So that leaves a slot left and I'm not sure who to put in it.
My play style is quite melee focussed. I dislike having to babysit vulnerable characters, especially given the ease with which monsters appear or move round behind your party and pick on weaker members. So I really wanted someone who could wield a sword rather than a bow. It seems I have three viable options.
* Kivan - seems the best option right now, and I have him at the moment. The semi-decent strength means he can dual-wield longswords to good effect, and the reasonable dex keeps his Armour Class sensible. He can switch to a bow if required. But his hit points are a bit feeble.
* Coran - hasn't got the front-line punch of Kivan, but I'm very concious that somewhere in the game there will be strength-enhancing items which will probably make him a better front-line fighter. Plus since I'm planning to dual-class Imoen his higher thief skills could well come in handy. Plus I hear he's funny to have around.
* There's also Ajantis but he feels like a distant third to me. I already have a paladin (my PC), and he's not as flexible as Coran or as immediately powerful as Kivan. But if anyone has a good reason to take him?
All my characters are level 4 at the moment. So I'm not sure what level Coran will be when I pick him up? That could influence the decision as if I get him at level 2, he should catch up quick and I can assign his skills as I see fit.
So ... which do people think is best? Currently leaning toward taking the short-term power hit and going with Coran for long-term gain.
0 · ·