Skip to content

Which Familiar is the best?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Those be sharp little teeth.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Roller12 said:

carrying stuff and avoiding item checks. For instance in Bg2 certain very powerful items are only available for a limited time, and then they get .. destroyed. Not if the familiar was having them, cause the game doesnt check on them.

Err, an exploit! *evil cackle*
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Rabbit. It's cute.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If pseudo dragon had its sleeping claws it would murder any living enemy in BG with ease. Now it is either bugged or nerfed and never works. Still it has good AC and attacks, can bolster its AC even more with blur, has %50 mr and heals itself by regeneration. Healing familiars is hard work since they can not drink potions and you need to waste cleric spells on them. Pseudo dragon can regenerate very fast back to full health.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    holy crap some of the imp shapeshift forms are beast. Note these stats aren't fully correct despite being listed as such in the game.

Brown/Black bears come with perm haste and have 4 apr, 16 THAC0, 18/00 str, 12 dex and an AC of 7
    Flind comes with perm haste, 3 apr, 17 THAC0, 17 str, 17 dex and an AC of 2 and a chance for 1-2 bonus fire damage on hit
    Wolf comes with perm haste, 1 apr, 19 THAC0, 15 str, 18 dex and an AC of 2
    Ogre comes with 1 apr, 16 THAC0, 18/00 str, 9 dex and an AC of 5
    Spider comes with 4 apr, 19 THAC0, 16 str, 16 dex and an AC of 1
    Mustard Jelly comes with 1 apr, 19 THAC0, 14 str, 9 dex and an AC of 4

I'm pretty sure some of the AC's and APR calculations are incorrectly listed in the game - The spider without haste definitely doesn't hit at 4 apr and the wolf with haste definitely hits faster than it's listed 1 apr. The THAC0's look to be correct but I'm not so sure about the AC's, some of them look off by a bit. After a bit of testing I found that the Flind gets a chance for a bonus 1-2 fire damage upon a successful hit. Conclusion = Bears and Flinds are insanely overpowered with haste. It's honestly pretty ridiculous to think you can have access to these over powered haste machines right from Candlekeep.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Are you guys sure the rabbit has slashing damage?

On my last playthrough it has flaming damage
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    None of the above. The only use for a familiar is the extra hitpoints and then it sits in your backpack.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @EnterHaerDalis Still think being invisible at the get go makes the Fairy Dragon better... Although for just BG:EE the Imp is better...
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I chose Faerie Dragon because it is the familiar I most often use. The chance to inflict sleep is incredibly useful, and it's impressive THAC0 and AC make it a viable disabler for most of the game.

Quasit comes in a close second for the reasons that Roller12 mentions. Lacking a good THAC0 or a potential disabling effect prevent it from coming in first though, after all, I tend not to use my familiars as front line damage dealers.
    edited January 2013
    I'm not even sure the Pseudo Dragon's chance to sleep on hit ability works either. Just tested it out for a while and never proc'd it once. Pretty sure they nerfed all on hit procs for all the familiars which is actually just the Imp's poison and the Pseudo Dragon's sleep.

Quite confident in saying the Imp's shapeshift Flind form is the only form of familiar with any on hit proc's, that being it's randomly occuring 1-2 fire damage on hit.

edit - Oh I forgot about the rabbits phantom fire damage :P so that makes it the Flind and the Rabbit with fire damage procs... okay cool. everything else doesn't work though
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Depending on my alignment/current mood I use familiars in combat. If I want a combat familiar, I'll play a lawful evil Mage. If I want bonus HPs on my bard or f/m, I'll be Chaotic good. I've never tried the cat interestingly enough...
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    @EnterHaerDalis
    Does the imp still have 12 HP in those forms though? I didn't get very far with my imp Mage so I am curious about trying one.
    Due to this thread. I was compelled to write a feature request. If you like, please support it here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14879/request-an-extra-familiar-to-fill-all-alignment-possibilities

:)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    moopy said:

Aren't most of the listed stats for them actually wrong?

Yes, unfortunately, though I think it's worse than that in that I think the assigned stats are probably wrong too and should be fixed first
    edited January 2013

For a jester/bard, it's the mephit. I never played other arcane casters, so no idea. But Glitterdust is an essential to go with the jester song, therefore the mephit takes the cake.

Dust Mephit is my favourite too, and not just for a Jester (though the synergy with that class is great). Can cast Glitterdust (aka mass blindness / detect invisibility for enemies that fail their save) once a day and Glass Dust twice a day. For descriptions of why I like both spells, see here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/240938#Comment_240938

BTW it's not listed as an ability in the description, but it looks like the Dust Mephit also regenerates. Also has the follwing resistances in BGEE:

Magic 10%, Fire (including Magic Fire) 100%(!), Slashing/Piercing/Missile 50% (I found this out using NearInifinity)

Only 6 AC, though - don't even think about using it in melee unless enemies are asleep or something similar, the 50% missile resistance helps vs. ranged attacks, though

Imp is also very good, though I think the BGEE version is nerfed a bit compared to the SoA version, some of the forms (e.g. spider) are less powerful.

Fairy Dragon rocks too - Invisibility 10' radius is great, it's a pity you can't be a chaotic good Bard!

Are you guys sure the rabbit has slashing damage?

NearInfinity says the rabbits attack in the latest patch is 2 x MEPFIR.ITM which is listed as 1d3+0 damage, type: Slashing

@Roller12

Thanks for posting that. Knew the full stats weren't listed on the spell description when I CTRL+Q'd them

edited the first page :)

@EnterHaerDalis - what does CTRL-Q do and how do you use this?

Which familiar is the best? Sorry if a similar thread already exists
    source (ToB familiar stats included on this page) - http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/familiar.htm

Pseudo Dragon- Lawful Good, Neutral Good
    24 hp, AC=-2, THAC0=13, ApR=2, 1D3 Piercing+chance of Sleep. 50% Magic Resistance. Can cast Blur 1x/day. Regenerates 1hp/round.

Ferret - Lawful Neutral
    24 hp, AC=0, THAC0=17, ApR=2, 1D3 Slashing. 50% magic resistance, 75% Pick Pockets, 20% Find Traps, 40% Stealth.

Imp - Lawful Evil
    18 hp, AC=2, THAC0=19, ApR=1, 1D6 Piercing+chance of Poison (POISON = NERFED IN BG:EE, DOES NO DAMAGE). Resistances: 25% Magic, 100% Cold/Electricity/Fire. Can cast Polymorph Other 1x/day. Regenerates 1hp/round.

Rabbit - True Neutral
    24 hp, AC=1, THAC0=17, ApR=2, 1D2 Slashing. Resistances: 65% Magic, 75% Cold/Fire/Electricity. 30% Stealth, 50% Find Traps.

Dust Mephit - Neutral Evil
    24 hp, AC=6, THAC0=17, ApR=2, 1D2+1 Slashing. Resistances: 10% Magic, 50% Slashing/Piercing/Missile, 100% Fire. Can cast Glitterdust 1x/day & Glass Dust 2x/day. Regenerates 1hp/round.

Fairy Dragon - Chaotic Good
    24 hp, AC=4, THAC0=17, ApR=2, 1D2 Slashing. 32% Magic Resistance. Can cast Mirror Image and Invisibility 10' Radius, each 1x/day.

Cat - Chaotic Neutral
    24 hp, AC=0, THAC0=17, ApR=2, 1D3 Slashing. 50% magic resistance, 30% Pick Pockets, 99% Stealth.

Quasit - Chaotic Evil
    24 hp, AC=2, THAC0=17, ApR=3, 1D6 Slashing. Resistances: 25% Magic, 100% Cold/Electricity/Fire. Can cast Blur & Horror each 1x/day. Regenerates 1hp/round.

BTW as others have pointed out, many of these stats are wrong e.g Pseudo Dragon (according to the DAMSPD.CRE in NearInfinity) only has AC=4, THAC0=17, weapon is 2 x S1-3.ITM, which does slashing damage, not piercing, has no resistances. I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* it does get the "chance of sleep on hit" effect via MOVRAT10.ITM

It *does* regenerate 1HP/round (as do some other familiars not mentioned as having this...) and have Blur as a spell, though.

This is just one example, most (all?) of the rest of the familiars are messed up too.

The familiars really do need some attention, am pretty sure both their descriptions *and* actual assigned abilities are wrong

@Oxford_Guy

This is just a random post to break up the gray a little...

:)
    @oxford_guy yeah I tried to touch on that in my post above, probably should of put that in the OP. I was trying to verify the stats with CTRL+Q but even the information listed in the records page is skeptical. Oh and CTRL commands only work if you have the CLUA console enabled - CTRL+Q = creature under cursor joins party.

CTRL+1 Change armor level animation
    CTRL+2 Fade screen to black
    CTRL+3 Fade screen to normal
    CTRL+4 Highlight background-interactive objects
    CTRL+5 Displays animation information
    CTRL+6 Change avatar animation previous
    CTRL+7 Change avatar animation next
    CTRL+8 Highlights the text boxes
    CTRL+9 Highlight the sprites
    CTRL+0 Unknown
    CTRL+A Animation avatar (see CTRL+S)
    CTRL+C Jump to next chapter
    CTRL+D Display some numbers (framerate related?)
    CTRL+E Alters visual range
    CTRL+F Turn the character
    CTRL+G Display list of areas loaded in cache
    CTRL+H (TOB only) Sets a specific Surge for wild magic 1-100
    CTRL+I Selects animation (see CTRL+L). Can force banters.
    CTRL+J Teleport to cursor position
    CTRL+K Creature under cursor kick out party
    CTRL+L Plays animation (selected by CTRL+I)
    CTRL+M (Followed by ENTER) Debug Dump
    CTRL+P Keep screen centred on selected character
    CTRL+Q Creature under cursor joins party
    CTRL+R Heals character under cursor
    CTRL+S Select avatar animation
    CTRL+T Advance game time 1 hour
    CTRL+U Temporarily highlight Doors + Ground Objects
    CTRL+X Extended position information
    CTRL+Y Kills creature under cursor

@toanwrath All the imp forms remain at 18 HP despite some changes in Con score
    Djimmy said:

Familiars are weak, too weak

For BGEE they should be, as it is they're almost OP in BGEE, or at least one of their main effects is - up to 12 extra HP available at Level 1 (Level 2 or later for a Bard or a Sorcerer who doesn't want to waste a spell slot and needs to wait for the scroll to drop), and some of the Familiar's abilities are pretty powerful in BGEE. They're quite fragile in the later game, though
    Elendar said:

None of the above. The only use for a familiar is the extra hitpoints and then it sits in your backpack.

In BGEE that's a waste (though in BG2 my familiar is mostly in my backpack), I use my Dust Mephit's Glitterdust and Glass Dust spells alot, but keep him at the back out of harm's way and make sure he joins my party for pre-buffing Bless/Chant spells etc. to protect him even more. 50% Slashing/Piercing/Missile and 100% Fire resistance also helps.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    What's the purpose of pick pocketing from your own party?

Edit : oh I see now. So u can keep black razor while good with this method?
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
  • What's the purpose of pick pocketing from your own party?

Familiars don't have encumbrance, so there's nothing stopping your pet ferret from lugging those ankheg shells around for you...

• colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Mass invisibility is great.

Horror is greater.

Mass invisibility is great.

Horror is greater.

Glitter Dust and Glass Dust from the Dust Mephit are also very nice, the former especially as gives affected enemies a -4 malus to future saves
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Rabbit of course!!!!

Why?

If you get lost in Cloakwood with nothing to eat...well you get my point.

Cat...imp...ferret...don't think so!

And afterwards you can keep the feet for good luck
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Honestly I almost never use familiars but I voted for the one with the spell I figure is most useful, invisibility 10' radius. Can come in handy in some spots.

Other than that the cat is ok I suppose with stealth scouting and the Quasit's horror is good (but only in BG 1).
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I find it fascinating how many people are basing their opinions on one-off uses of spells that you can memorise and use yourself, and don't risk permanent constitution loss if you do so.