Skip to content

What BGEE2 needs to do to be successful

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Valen needs to be integrated way more than Solaufein, just sayin'.
  • seawiedseawied Member Posts: 24
    I strongly disagree.

Do not change the storyline! That would destroy the game. Keep it as is.

Kits might be a nice change, but again, not completely needed. The Blackguard kit was a nice addition, but honestly, other than Dorn, I never really used it. I feel that the kit did not mess well with the UI.

Don't change the act bosses at all. Keep them as is. I'm fine with more difficult additional areas, but don't change the game that was currently implemented.

New NPCs are fine. I thought Neera and Dorn were both well made. The monk though, was FAR too weak to be of any use in BG. I ended up dumping him in the Nashkel mines because he died so often. In BG2 he will be a much higher level and start to become useful.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

The Drow rule Supreme!

Yes, but Tiax rules ALL.

I kind of want to get a cat and name him Tiax. Somehow that feels appropriate to me.

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Things that should be added or changed should be things the modding community has wanted for years such as class listing being scrollable for adding more kits, expansion of races, the ability to modify dual/multi–class options, the ability to easily modify and change the player avatar in the game world, fixing bugs that break quests. In my opinion anything less would make the game pointless to re–buy over the original especially considering how long the android version is taking and odds are it being unable to be modded easily.

Anything beyond after these things are changed would be nothing more than icing and would have me possibly purchasing as dlc, but if the bits above are not changed then I really have no use in purchasing BGEE2 as those features are the main reason I bought BGEE.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2013
    Don't change anything at all, so far as the story is concerned. The games been out for over ten years, so don't mess with anything established in it. If it were possible, although I doubt it will be, I would have liked more dialogues and quests for some of the original NPC's. More conversations and a quest for Aerie, for example, with greater reward if you happen to be romancing her, and some extra stuff for Viconia as well. But it would have to be done in such a way that it fitted in or around their existing dialogue and didn't change any of them or either characters existing development.

Most important on the romance front I suppose would be adding more NPC's that female characters can romance.

One or two minor inconsistencies that could be addressed and fixed. Not nearly enough time has passed between the end of BG1 and the start of BG2 for everything that's supposed to have happened between him and Aerie to have transpired; maybe just a line that he went away, while she was studying magic, to have one last adventure before retiring for good. And then there's the inconsistency between Gorion's letters and the Solar in ToB. Of course, none of that is essential; we can fill in the gaps on our own. It would just be nice, given the opportunity, to fix some of it.

But like I said, I doubt the contract terms will change, so it'll just be new NPC's and quests and some other tweaks.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Adding mods like Solaufein would be horrible. Some people like this mod, others hate it; same with nearly every other mod out there. I personally tried Solaufein back then and found it ridicolous enough to not touch later NPC adding mods. Things like that should be left to the player. Therefore, better modding tools would be my vote, if anything should be changed. That wouldn't interfere with the contract and game itself, and pave the way for more optional content.
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    Personally I really love the bg2 content, hoping they can maybe Ascensionize ToB though and maybe add more content to the latter parts of the trilogy dunno tho if that's a good idea :D
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I would like to see golden pantaloons available in BG2
    through a quest or buying
    If I remember right they were only availble as a carry over item
    when you imported your BG1 CHARNAME into BG2
    maybe that nobleman you got them off the first time
    Has a new pair , so
    STEAL them again
    Also I always felt that Mazzy Fenton
    should have been a romancable character
    she lost her beloved Patrick tragically
    like Jahiera also tragically lost Kalid
    so I woulld like to see a romancable NPC from one of the " shorty " races
    that can olny be romance by a shorty race CHARNAME
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2013
    +1 on the new difficulty part,oh and not just x3 dmg for monsters pls we need something more original,after all this would only force you to tank with stoneskin/protection from x weapons etc
    I have to agree on the Mazzy Fenton front. But why this?

I woulld like to see a romancable NPC from one of the " shorty " races that can olny be romance by a shorty race CHARNAME

Why only shorty race Charname?

• blueblue Member Posts: 39
    if they released BG2 exactly how it was i would still buy it. Everything else is just a bonus for me
    blue said:

if they released BG2 exactly how it was i would still buy it. Everything else is just a bonus for me

More or less this.

Way I figure it, I am paying as much for the actual game as for the potential for more games to follow. That alone makes it worth it for me. And updated/continued bug support is a total bonus.

I would ever so much love to have David Warner reprise his role with a few more lines, but that is a pipe dream on my part.

• RogueNRogueN Member Posts: 10
    My opinion, for what it's worth:

- original storyline should remain intact
    - Ascension and redemption mod added (even those who played through BG2 would imo play this because of role playing moment that these mods bring)
    - tactics and Improved battles mod selectable for those that want more of a challenge
    - few new areas, subquests and items should be added
    - it wouldn't hurt if they do some work on characters animations and graphic in game, background still look good but the sprites are really outdated.
    - please don't use the new type of cinematics, it just doesn't work

this i would pre-order :)
  • davidj8580davidj8580 Member Posts: 20

I wholly and completely disagree with the OP.

In the first place, BG Tutu gave BG the increased graphics and the kits, so BG:EE didn't do that above and beyond BG:Classic. There are mods fixing some stuff that exists. Pretty much the only thing that BG:EE did that wasn't already done was the bug fixes and the new companions/quests. But that was enough for it to be worth it in my opinion.

Second, the story is fine as it stands. There is (IMHO) no reason to alter or change the story. Fix one or two things that weren't done, that is fine. But this isn't 'BG2 Reinvisioned". Don't change it.

As for New monsters etc... There is already a lot in BG2. I don't see a "Need" for new monsters. I'd be OK with some more encounters and maybe a few new areas, but don't 'Fix' it if it ain't broke.

New 'Kits', again, while it might be nice to have a few more choices, the Devs don't need to go all hog wild and 'Create' new stuff. Even the concept of bringing in 3E stuff and retro-fitting it is abhorrent (to me). There are plenty of choices as it is. And each new kit means a certain amount of rebalancing that needs to happen. Why?

A few new areas? Sure. A FEW. But there is still plenty of content that exists. No need to go overboard (IMHO).

All in my opinion. Keep it largely as is. People will buy it. Bug fixes? Great! A few new areas and encounters? Fine. But it is a great game as it stands.

So, $20 for a few new characters is a good buy when you can buy the whole series + expansions for under that amount?

What is the point of re-releasing the game pretty much exactly as is when it is still readily available?

Who knew that adding additional, optional content would be a bad thing.
  • davidj8580davidj8580 Member Posts: 20

Getting released is the one thing that really needs to happen. It's already a selling point that it is easier to install the game on newer computers. That's the one thing that really matters - my BG1 is a bit wonky on a PC that is set up to handle current games. And that will remain an issue for older software. At some point, you'll need a PC to do everyday stuff - graphic software, new games and so on - and an old PC to play favorite games of the past. If I could pay 20 bucks to make old games run smoothly on my main PC, I'd do that, even - or especially - if they were exactly the same and nothing was changed.

Bug fixes, sure. Maybe finishing abandoned content that was originally planned, also fine. But changing the story or expanding in it ways that don't really make sense? No way, I wouldn't want that.

I would like the additional content put back in. I was upset that it wasn't for BG:EE, as I thought it would be, and when I voiced my opinion about it on this forum I was attacked by the the defence force that lurks about trying to quell any differing opinion. It's my fault for assuming that an "Enhanced Edition" would actually enhance something.

Anyway, they couldn't add back or tie up the loose ends in BG:EE due to "contract limitations", so they won't be doing it in BG2:EE. If, then, you are like me and were planning on buying it for this reason, just steer clear.

I've bought the series twice, and the first game three times (because of the BG:EE) and I don't feel that this version was worth it yet. I'm waiting to see what they do with it before I cast my final decision but I certainly won't be pre-ordering BG2:EE like I did the first, which is sad as these are my favourite games.
    edited February 2013

So, $20 for a few new characters is a good buy when you can buy the whole series + expansions for under that amount?

What is the point of re-releasing the game pretty much exactly as is when it is still readily available?

Who knew that adding additional, optional content would be a bad thing.

No. $20 for cross platform support, bug fixes, some new companions, some new areas, a few new magic items and....

The potential for new players to be playing

AND........

The serious potential for more and hopefully new games in the series or of a similar nature.

I call that a bargain.

But if what you mean by "New content" is changing the story line, updating the rules system to 3 or 4, or changing the game in any other fundamental way, then Yes. It is a bad thing. (in my view)

Growing up, I remember really enjoying 'Total Recall' staring Arnie Schwarzenegger, Ronnie Cox, Sharon Stone and Michael Ironsides etc.... Great flick. Someone came along and decided to 'Update it' with new graphics, new material and different actors. In the process, someone decided to 'Re-envision' it. They took out Mars entirely. They fundamentally changed the rebels and they removed the 'alien' artifacts. Then they removed that moment at the end where you were left wondering if it was actually all an implanted dream or not. And for what? so someone else could say "See!!! new stuff!!!" Thanks for nothing.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Mathmick said:

A realistic list:

1. Re-release the game with the optimised engine
    2. Mass bug-fixes
    3. Add party members/expand on new party members
    4. Add new locations/content/sidequests
    5. Ongoing support

If you are content with that, buy it. If not, then don't.

Good list. A very realistic one that I would add is to integrate the save file from the end of BG1 so that your BG1 characters who appear in BG2 have all the same stats, HPs, etc. (or use the ones you left them with as a base to build from).

I don't want to have used tomes on an NPC and not have those appear or to have Edwin have learned Polymorph Self and then not know it in BG2 or to have kept Imoen a thief and then have her a lower level thief/mage, etc.

This is all done successfully with BGT so I don't think there is a technical problem with this type of integration.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    The thing about Imoen is that she HAS to be a mage for the plot. If she can't cast magic missile, she doesn't get taken to Spellhold, and you have no game.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    She could be dualed at level 10 though.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

The thing about Imoen is that she HAS to be a mage for the plot. If she can't cast magic missile, she doesn't get taken to Spellhold, and you have no game.

She can be dualed at the point where you finished the first game and should at least include all the spells she knew in BG1 if she was already dualed assuming you don't want to use a scroll, wand, etc. to cover it.

It is a failing of BG2:EE, IMO, if you have a level 10 thief Imoen at the end of BG:EE and she ends up as a level 7 thief/8 mage or if she finishes BG:EE at level 3 thief/level 9 mage and she starts as a 7/8, etc.

Improved continuity should be a very achievable goal of BG2:EE.

• RaphielDrakeRaphielDrake Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    Seriously hoping they don't nerf anything. That'd piss alot of people off including myself. Part of the games charm is that you start out as a weakling and become an all-powerful badass at the end. It would be a mistake to change that in any way. This is "enhanced edition", not "reduced edition".

Infact, raise the cap, add more spells and abilities then add more insanely hard quests and areas in ToB that push players to their limits. I want to see the world torn asunder by battles that make 300 look like a picnic. Make 'em cry. -.-

(P.S. Anyone know when they're going to release it? The waiting is only made worse by the fact I know how good what their expanding on is.)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    -Add bugfixes and Unfinished Business.
    -Add quests for characters that didn't had one(make Aerie confront with her kidnappers maybe?)
    -A few new areas.
    -Improove Neera and Dorn romance.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'll be happy with professionally voiced and written NPCs, each with a quest. As many as they can give us. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they'll be offering. We have the new GUI and zoom feature, which were the other main things that BG:EE delivered. (Well, that and being able to play it on an iPad, which is a big thing for sure.)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This game definitely needs more wombats.