Skip to content

[BUG?] Laurel quest (spoiler alert:))

skybalbeskybalbe Member Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in Fixed
Area North of Gnoll Stronghold
Laurel conversation doesn't trigger (gibberling quest)...Is that a bug?
Ty.
BgEE pc version 1.0.2014
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    You mean to start the quest or to finish the quest?
  • skybalbeskybalbe Member Posts: 5
    I mean start the quest.
    And what is your reputation?
    reputation...20 - heroic.
    edited February 2013
    Yes, this is a bug. If your reputation is greater than 14 she will not talk to you.

Thanks for the report.
    Oh ok, ty!
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    No gibberling killing quest.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Not working for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Is it maybe based on reputation, or a reaction check or something?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited March 2013
    She won't give you the quest if your reputation is greater than 14. This is a known bug.
    A bug that should be fixed? Mmm perhaps the fix is only on the beta. SO many builds ahhh
    countryace29
    @Balquo Yep, only in the beta. :)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    While we're discussing this quest, Laurel's closing dialogue after completing the quest has always struck me as odd. She implies that you'll meet her again, perhaps to do more gibberling hunting or maybe for some other purpose, yet actually you never see her again. 'Twas thus in the original game too, so I've always assumed that it's one of the numerous instances in which the original devs had intended more but ran out of time before implementing it.

Assuming that there is no intention of now adding a further encounter with Laurel, perhaps it might make sense to edit her closing dialogue so that it's more clearly a "goodbye" rather than a "see you later".

(On the other hand, maybe the current dialogue is a narrative hook on which a modder could hang a second meeting with Laurel in which she becomes a joinable NPC!)
    I say "see you later" to complete strangers after talking to them... perhaps that's a British thing... or maybe just a me thing.
    TJ_Hooker
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Balquo
    Certainly prolific in Britain, along with using "hows it going?" as a greeting to which you have no expectation of hearing the answer.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Balquo said:

I say "see you later" to complete strangers after talking to them... perhaps that's a British thing... or maybe just a me thing.

But @Balquo, that's a polite insincerity which we (I'm British too) know from context isn't meant literally, and it's not exactly what Laurel says. I can't remember the exact dialogue off the top of my head, but it seemed as if Laurel was genuinely hinting at a future meeting, not merely being polite. Since there is no future meeting, I think that's pointlessly misleading.

Certainly prolific in Britain, along with using "hows it going?" as a greeting to which you have no expectation of hearing the answer.

I agree that it has become a common greeting, but generally I do answer it. Usually with "Not too bad, thanks, how're you?" I'm sure many others do also answer the question, albeit very briefly. However, I'd agree that more than three or four words would be boringly excessive (unless one actually did have momentous news to impart, and good reason to suppose that the other party really wanted to know).
    1.png 1.8M
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 133
    So when can we expect a fix on this issue? Or some quick override patch file for this?
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 133
    @Jalily Thank you very much, that fixed the problem. Thumbs up!
    @Bhaaldog Yes.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Bhaaldog said:

Just a photo from my play through.

This is what just happened to me this time around. I came here to see what was going on. My reputation is pretty high as is charisma. My first character did talk to her and helped her, so it caught me by surprise when she wouldn't talk. Oh well, less expts and loot. :(
  • miranmiran Member Posts: 1
    Just came across this post as I was methodically clearing out the southern map areas and figured that Laurel shouldn't "have nothing to say to me" indefinitely. (I was also at 20 Reputation.) I created an Override folder in the main steam/BGEE folder, extracted the file provided by Jalily, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

However...there are quite a number of bugs that seem to have small fixes available. I expected fixes to be included in the game - even if they were automatically dumped into an "Override" folder during the download process, that'd be no problem! Am I missing updates by buying via steam vs. other purchase options?

(BG2 was/is my favorite game, but last time I played it I got bogged down viewing wikis, forums, and mods/fixes - so I swore I wouldn't make that mistake this time around. But, it's really hard not to google things when the game is acting funky - and I haven't played BG1 before, so I have no way to know if it's "working as intended" or a bug, until I check online...and completely lose momentum in the process.)
  • RanSagyRanSagy Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    Came across this as well, Too bad it's not fixed yet. Will try the override, so i guess no harm.

EDIT: Yeah, worked just fine.