Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

RixorDKRixorDK Member Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
I can see in the FAQ that BGEE will be comming to PC. Will you release on Steam or only in here?
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @RixorDK

I believe that they currently don't have plans to release the game on Steam.
  • HinkelHinkel Member Posts: 14
    I think that publishing BGEE on Steam could really bring some new customers/fans to the Baldur's Gate series and I guess there would be quite a lot people who would buy it during some kind of weekend or holiday deal and find it to be so awesome that they would also buy BG2EE ;)
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Yup, I also think that steam would help Baldur's Gate. The release on the appstore will do wonders, too - many people use macs and can use a good game to pass some time with. :)
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I really like this idea. I'm not sure how hard Steam is to work with, but I'd prefer it on that player.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    No it will not be released on Steam. Their contracts binds them to specific stores and Steam is not on the list.
  • KyazzichetuaduKyazzichetuadu Member Posts: 9
    It will not be released on steam as indicated directly by Trent Oster
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    No plans for Steam, and unfortunately, it's looking doubtful that this game will get a GOG.com release, but it really should.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    This one has already been put to bed, No Steam, no GoG, also Beamdog will not make you have a gaming platform to play BGEE either, you just get a launcher (to help manage things like patching I believe) and a straight up game without the tendrils of other software snaking around your machine.
  • suchosssuchoss Member Posts: 16
    I dont mind if it wont be on steam. I dont care about distribution, but about game itself. My prayers were listened. Thank you BGEE guys!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Maybe in the future it will be released on Steam, that we can't say for sure. I don't really mind where or how though, I know there were some idiots threatening to pirate the game if it doesn't make its way to Steam or GOG. Well, to them I say with a smile on my face : Rot in hell.
    Might be a bit harsh but the Overhaul guys are really working hard for us. Pirating is intolerable D:
  • MordikyeMordikye Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    I'm just curious if BG/BG2 will be released on Steam?
    nope
    That's a shame. Thanks.
    Steam lets you add custom programs on it not acquired through steam and since you're not forced to have the beamdog client to play BG, then you can simply add it to Steam yourself..
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2012
    BG:EE will be available through the Beamdog client, and also independently of the Beamdog client. Regarding its availability on Steam, the game is temporarily exclusive to Beamdog.
    Yeah, that breaks all the time in Steam, but it's more about the digital distribution. If Beamdog isn't "required" I might consider it. but Having tons of different digital distribution accounts is more what I want to eliminate. It's not so much the clients, as having accounts at every little company that want's to have their own distribution platform.
    I get what you mean about having to have accounts everywhere, I feel the same and I think the Beamdog guys get that, that's why they're not forcing the issue of the client (so I think).

You have to register, (just enter your email address) to be able to purchase it, then just download and play. No need to for an extra client to log into.
    Cool, I'll keep an eye on it. I loved these games. Still have the boxes. Just not "playable" on my new machine. Enhanced graphics and higher native resolution support is extremely enticing. GO FOR THE EYES Boo.
  • meuheymeuhey Member Posts: 4
    If I buy it now and later it goes live on steam, will I be able to activate my beamdog copy in steam????
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    meuhey said:

If I buy it now and later it goes live on steam, will I be able to activate my beamdog copy in steam????

I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Did anyone else notice that MDK 2 HD is coming to steam after being beamdog exclusive for a while?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213350/

Seeing Overhaul Games represented on Steam is a hopeful sign, anyway.
  • RegretZeroRegretZero Member Posts: 8
    meuhey said:

What you're asking doesn't make a whole lot of sense, you're not entitled to a copy of the game on a different platform if you bought it on one, that would be crazy.

Anyway, all they said was that it was TEMPORARILY exclusive to Beamdog, so that could mean that it's coming to other platforms later on in time.
    meuhey said:

If we come to Steam, we will endeavor to make sure this is the case. I can't make any promises right now though.

That would be a deal closer right there.
  • norolimnorolim Member Posts: 62
    How about GOG? Is there a chance, the game will be available on GOG, in the future?
  • FulanoFulano Member Posts: 2
    No steam? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    GOG is in the same boat as Steam. We can't make any comments regarding availability there in the future, but BG:EE is temporarily exclusive to Beamdog.
    I don't get it, why do you guys care if it's on steam just so long as it's not on another client? Do you buy EVERY game on Steam? What about Diablo and WoW and Mass Effect and a whole host of others?

Even more weird is wanting to buy it from Beamdog and then transfer it to steam after you have already bought and downloaded it? You might as well add it to steam yourself and it is no different.

Steam is great, I love it and I hate to use another platform but I'm fine with playing a game that doesn;t require steam or any client, it's one less layer of crap to get through before your game. I really really don't get it.
    edited July 2012
    I actually didn't buy Mass Effect 3, Sad I bought D3 hard copy, and yeah, It's not the game platform/client, It's digital distribution. If I get a digital game, I get it on steam, otherwise box. It's where I have to download various games from if I get digital distribution that I care about. I don't want to have to download a game from here, there, and ALL the way over there on the end. If there is a boxed version of BG:EE, I'd buy that.
  • d3vilsadvocated3vilsadvocate Member Posts: 1
    I signed up here to tell you this:

"No steam, no sale"

It sounds a bit harsh, but I'm sick of having a gazillion different accounts and clients. I'll buy it instantly on steam for 19$. Tell that to your shareholders or whoever is holding back your business potential...

Thanks for reading.