Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    I like Steam because its easy to purchase games there. I do not have a Visa/Credit Card, nor want to, and Steam has a really wide selection of payment options im already using anyway.
  • SarganSargan Member Posts: 4
    seriously... steam? O.o
    guys come on, you are kidding me right?
    ha i know! thats a big joke, haha great one =)
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Medillen said:

Just add a bookmark. Jeez...

In my times, we had to go to a game shop to buy games. It took driving, walking, finding the game (and trying other shops) and paying time. Now, it's just a download on the internet.

How can people still complain. It's only a simple download. It is like steam without any hassle.

Adobe is not on steam. Firefox is not on steam. OpenOffice is not on steam. Winrar (lol) is not on steam. Skype is not on steam. Online newspaper are not on steam. That already makes some distribution sites different of gog and steam and I probably can find a lot more.

Actually, I really hope BGEE is sufficiently successful to be able to ignore steam/gog release. Yes, that would make my day.

http://ninite.com/
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    If you want Mac games, for instance, Steam is not the best place to look for them at all...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'd have to say I'm not fond of Steam due to the inconsistent prices. I was able to buy Rage at AU$28.00 at my local PC store 6 weeks ago while it was still being priced for AU$89.95 on Steam.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    *sigh*

Let's try to keep things civil, okay?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Isnt just a matter of adapting !
    If its not coming on Steam, its not coming on Steam. So why the fuzz......
    More specifically, it's not coming on Steam "right now". No one has said that they will never release it on Steam ever; it's just a matter of when.
    Actually I have difficulty undestanding both sides of this story going radical.

I use Steam sometimes, it's not a good place for Mac Games as i said before, so I have bought from other places, as Aspyr, for instance.

Now I don´t see why some people are labelling Steam users as idiots, etc.

I prefer GOG's way of offering the game as a non-drm download, so I can download the installer, copy it to an external HD and be safe. If GOG ever goes out of business, my installers will be safely stored in an external HD. I'll never lose access to them.

Beamdog will do something quite similar. It will offer the game as a downloadable installer with very light DRM that only validates the download and a launcher that will check for updates and allow the installation of DLCs. No big problem here as well. I can very easily download the installer/DLCs and store them on an external HD. They even informed that if they are ever going out of business they will make a DRM-free version available for download so my money is safe.

I also don't understand the "I won't buy if it's not on Steam side". What do you think you'll miss? The Steam overlay?Just add it to your Steam library and it'll work normally. Auto-updates? The launcher will do it for you. I see no problem here as well.

Actually I always look for the best price when buying a game. I work for my money it does not appear magically on my bank account. If I can buy buy a game I want from store A for US$ 9,99 and store B is selling it for US$ 15,00, you may be quite sure that Store A has made a sale, as long as I can determine it's legitimate and not only a pirate trying to look like a store.

Now BG EE will only be on sale in only three places when released. Beamdog, Applestore and Google.

Guess what I DON'T CARE if i had never heard of Beamdog before. I want the game when it's realeased, so I bought it. It took me just a few moments to fill the forms in Beamdog's site and buy it using a paypal account. And it's clearly a legitimate businees, no doubt at all about that;

So what I have to say to both sides is cool down. Do not demonize Steam users for wanting to use Steam. And to those fanatical Steam users, I just have to say you'll be losing a lot of fun as more companies go digital and sell their own products directly to the final consumer. So think better of it.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    mlnevese said:

I also don't understand the "I won't buy if it's not on Steam side". What do you think you'll miss? The Steam overlay?Just add it to your Steam library and it'll work normally. Auto-updates? The launcher will do it for you. I see no problem here as well.

As you said yourself, you don't understand the issue. What we'll miss is having the game within our digital game library on Steam. In the future, when I feel like playing an old game of mine (as I often do), I'd look at my Steam games list and decide what to download and I won't see BGEE there. Sure, you can tell me about how easy it is to just keep the installer on my HDD, or just burn it on a DVD for future use, or just write it down somewhere that I have a game on a service called Beamdog, but having to do these things is inexcusable, in my opinion.
    edited August 2012
    I'm not loyal to any company, I'm quite aware that if Steam ever goes out of business I will probably lose all the games I bought there. That's one of the reasons I prefer to buy elsewhere, although i have bought some games there.

Knowing where I bought a game is a non-issue to me. Having a secure copy available that does not depends on the fact the company I bought from still exists is.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012
    I don't know how some of these people coped without Steam back in the 90s. Maybe they didn't have a PC back then?
    Post edited by Metal_Hurlant on
    mch202 said:

We dont understand the issue because there is no issue. I sometimes get the feeling that some of the steam users suffer from memory problems afraid to forget they have a game in the 'D:\Downloads\' directory or suffer from laziness. "having to do these things is inexcusable" - Come on, like someone asked you to format your computer in order to install the game.

When you have a collection of over 200 games, it becomes a problem.
    edited August 2012
    So wait until it's out on Steam if it's such an issue to you. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. As I said I also don't understand those that say that those who wish to wait for a Sream release are idiots. It's their choice to wait.

I don't rely on Steam to manage my collection. I have my reasons to not like the way Steam works. I've already bought my copy from Beamdog. It didn't stop me from buying from Steam when they had good offers.

There are many ways to manage a collection, choose whatever you find is best for you but respect the opinion of those who don't agree with you and have coosen another way.
    I think a major part of people's reaction is that they want Beamdog to succeed, which means that they want as many sales as possible for BG:EE on or before its release. Waiting for a Steam release means delaying those sales.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Doom972 said:

When you have a 2TB backup drive, it becomes less of a problem.

edited August 2012
    Lediath said:

Doom972 said:

When you have a 2TB backup drive, it becomes less of a problem.

That's no solution, since all the games I'm not currently playing will just waste space (probably all of it and then some). I rely on my discs and my Steam library to store the game I don't currently play.
  • bobsageekbobsageek Member Posts: 21
    I really have no interest in Steam becoming a defacto monopoly on PC game distribution. Since BeamDog will not require a client install for BG:EE I see no reason to complain and I'd be more annoyed if I had to install Steam. BG:EE will go on my Ultrabook and the less cruft I have to install to get this game, the better.
    edited August 2012
    Doom972 said:

That's no solution, since all the games I'm not currently playing will just waste space (probably all of it and then some). I rely on my discs and my Steam library to store the game I don't currently play.

When I can't reach my games when steam servers are inaccessible, that's also "no solution".

My point in my original post is merely to point out that problems can be solved in any number of ways, depending on preference and need. To say that getting more space is "no solution" is short sighted and a rather narrow view on solving problems in general. It essentially invalidates local storage all together for things that you are not using right now or in the immediate future.

Lediath said:

Doom972 said:

When I can't reach my games when steam servers are inaccessible, that's also "no solution".

My point in my original post is merely to point out that problems can be solved in any number of ways, depending on preference and need. To say that getting more space is "no solution" is short sighted and a rather narrow view on solving problems in general. It essentially invalidates local storage all together for things that you are not using right now or in the immediate future.

Now you are just making excuses. That solution won't work, as there's not enough space for me to keep all my games on it, and even if I had, it's a very crude solution. My point still stands.
    Don't like Steam? I never said YOU should use it.
    Doom972 said:

Now you are just making excuses. That solution won't work, as there's not enough space for me to keep all my games on it, and even if I had, it's a very crude solution. My point still stands.

I never said, that I don't like steam. Seems like you're just brushing over my posts without actually thinking about what they are saying. I use steam much the same way as you do. My POINT is that steam is not the end all be all solution. I store all my GOG games locally, and store my steam games on their server.

Again, preference and need.

Don't like local storage? I never said YOU should use it *snicker*...
  • bobsageekbobsageek Member Posts: 21
    I keep reading complaints about the price and I can't help but (sadly) understand why some developers won't put their games on Steam any longer. Steam and the seasonal sales are completely devaluing software. BeamDog has more than half a dozen people working on this game full time for the better part of a year, have signifigant cost involved and have to pay some level of licensing. Do you really think they could recoup their cost in a reasonable amount of time if they sold if for $5? Would you undertake a project of this size for $5 a throw? Or are you just completely oblivious to how much things cost and that people expect to be compensated for their work?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    For the people who have a serious problem with it not being on Steam initially, it's obvious that some day it will be (MDK2 is), so please be patient. The $20 price point was chosen with knowing the title was exclusive. If it were to be sold on Steam then they would have to ask much more for the game. BG:EE is not going to sell hundreds of thousands of copies regardless of what platform they sell on, so when the buying frenzy at the beginning happens the developers need to sell exclusively on their platform so they get the biggest chunk of revenue possible.

You have to understand that 18 people have been working on this game for over 6 months. Even at a *conservative* $60k/year developer salary, that's a huge chunk of money they need to recover just to break even. Keep in mind that other licenses like Atari and Wizards of the Coast are getting a piece too, which is probably a set dollar amount per unit sold. I would estimate that BG:EE needs to sell 50k copies (@$20 each) just to break even. If you throw steam into the mix and they take another 20-30% off the top then BD still has to give Atari and WOTC their set amount, even if BD sells 10-20k more copies than not on Steam, they haven't earned any more revenue, and may actually lose.

The bottom line is if you want to help the developer, then buy strait from them because no middle man is getting in the way. If you really want it on Steam then you're just going to have to wait until BD have recovered their investment and are looking for more buyers just passing by and grabbing it.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012

I like the auto update of steam, it updates my game when a update is released, not when I want to launch the game. When I want to launch the game, it's already updated.

The main point of Steam version is the visibility. The game will be a lot more visible on Steam.

I already bought a copy, don't have any problems with a non-steam version of the game. But I really think it's not a good move.

BG is not going to have updates that are hundreds of MB or larger, so an update taking more than 10 seconds sounds highly unlikely to me. I'd rather wait 10 seconds on a patch every few weeks or months and better help the developer, wouldn't you?

As for visibility, I completely agree and I'm 100% positive that the developers agree too. The problem is that I estimate the majority of the buyers in the first week will be diehard BG fans who have been waiting for this game, not random passer bys (from the visibility). Then you take into consideration revenue percentages and everything else that I talked about in the previous post, I understand why at first developers are not selling on Steam. Eventually the game will wind up on Steam.

Doesn't this sound like the smarter thing to do when you are a small company?
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited August 2012
    Just quoting myself here :

Its BALDURS TIME The 18 Sep !!!!! So forget steam for a while and support the dudes who makes this happen !!!!!

And for crying out loud, there are 3+ threads about Steam. Seems like the search button dont get used a lot.
    And for the record; why not support the Dev´s in their mission. Buy the freaking game At Beamdog.
    If its the time and all the accounts other places steam etc etc, thats the problem, then it seems that the game isnt good enough to be bought on Beamdog. Easy answer : Then dont ! :O)

edit :

Perhaps Steam will get it one day, but for the time being, Its Pure BeamDog.
    @Tanthalas Can you please merge the two big steam threads.
    Thanks for all the hard work :)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Lediath

Thanks for the heads-up

Merged the two threads.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Merging is not always a good thing and these 2 threads had a theme of their own. All this merging just breaks the threads, let the people choose which thread is the main and let the other die out...
    Lediath said:

Doom972 said:

I never said, that I don't like steam. Seems like you're just brushing over my posts without actually thinking about what they are saying. I use steam much the same way as you do. My POINT is that steam is not the end all be all solution. I store all my GOG games locally, and store my steam games on their server.

Again, preference and need.

Don't like local storage? I never said YOU should use it *snicker*...
    So, you don't think I should use local storage, and you don't have anything against Steam. What do you want from me again?