Skip to content

Modifying Baldur.ini on Windows 7 (original BG2)

DkStOoPiDDkStOoPiD Member Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
Wont let me change the file saying access is denied ( i run myself as the administrator and still get denied access ) also would not let me move the folder from my 64 bit folder. I am not the greatest computer savvy person but any help into what im doing wrong might be insightful.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I doubt this has anything to do with BG:EE. It probably is some setting on your computer.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Also I think the real ini is in documents.
  • DkStOoPiDDkStOoPiD Member Posts: 3
    Tresset said:

Also I think the real ini is in documents.

yeah my documents have a Program files and Program files x64 and the baldur.ini file is in the x64 ones and wont let me move it. But regarding the settings idk how to even check and see if it is that causing it.
  • DkStOoPiDDkStOoPiD Member Posts: 3
    Also no im not running the enhanced edition just the original shadows of amn and throne of bhaal
  • mfr001mfr001 Member Posts: 43
    No doubt someone with more knowledge of Windows will be along soon, but this may get you started.

On Windows 7:

Navigate to the baldur.ini file and right click on it. You should get a menu with 'Properties' as the last entry. Click on that. A window should open with tabs at the top. Click on the 'Security' tab and you should see a screen listing users and their permissions. One of the entries in the permissions list is 'Write', and if this is ticked the user should be able to edit the file. My non-admin user can only read and execute as you might expect.

BY the way, it is a very good idea to make a backup of the file before doing -anything- to it.

Also, my Baldur's Gate 2 files are in Programs files (X 86 ) which is for the non-64 bit programs, and it functions correctly - well so far anyway.

Hope that helps.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited April 2013
    An easy solution would be to just install BG2 to your My Documents folder (make a folder called BG2 or something). That would not require adjusting file permissions or UAC as you have full control over that folder by default.