Skip to content

xbox one: dead on arrival

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    To answer a question mark in the picture above - PS4 will get some free games, yes - they are confirmed not to require PS+, meaning you don't have to pay the 5 monthly bucks for another free game on any platform (PS3, Vita, PS4). In fact, visiting the PSN and its store won't require the monthly fee.
    The only thing the monthly fee is required for is for playing games online - which is reasonable, they add the streaming, they need more money for the support of it, I don't find it wrong. Besides, the price is half of the price of the XBox Live Gold, isn't it? And what does that give you? Oh, the option to BUY games - brilliant.

I won't say Xbox One is without its pluses, but I can't see myself buying it. Besides, I am region-locked, so even if I spent the outrageous 500€ for it, I couldn't start it up.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited June 2013
    Shame; there's a couple of XBone games I might have been somewhat interested in, but MS have messed up so badly everywhere else. I mean, when EA, who whinge more than anyone about all that used games nonsense, are actually trying to distance themselves... then, yeah... they've screwed up.

And making Kinect mandatory? I don't know... like many, many people, I bought a Kinect some time ago, found it novel for about a week, and then haven't used it at all for about a year.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Chow said:

We'll just have to hope the Xbone really crashes and burns as a result of all this. That way it would instead serve as an excellent example of how this kind of stuff does not work and should not be done, which hopefully will teach the others an important lesson.

It would be even more interesting if after crashing sales at release it started to sell well after a change in policy.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    mlnevese said:

It would be even more interesting if after crashing sales at release it started to sell well after a change in policy.

Well, that is of course possible - likely, even, unless the people in charge are truly brain-damaged. But it should still teach the lesson to some people.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Knowing Microsoft, instead of just changing the policy, in 2 years they'll just make a whole new Xbox (similarly to what happened to Vista and is currently going on with 8)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Currently the only launch title for PS4 I'm interested in is Driveclub, so I probably won't even buy it right away.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    mlnevese said:

Chow said:

We'll just have to hope the Xbone really crashes and burns as a result of all this. That way it would instead serve as an excellent example of how this kind of stuff does not work and should not be done, which hopefully will teach the others an important lesson.

Hopefully not. Because nothing is stopping them from changing the policy back once enough people have invested in the hardware.

And I probably wouldn't go back to PC gaming unless the game is exclusive to the PC (like Civ games). Going back to Skyrim without derailing the thread, one of the reasons why it is a glitched mess is due to it being a console game ported to the PC instead of vise versa. Publishers know their sales are with consoles so they won't put much effort into PC versions.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    Well now, that's interesting.

XBox One games not even running on the XBox One at E3? Hm. Gotta love that they apparently didn't even use Windows 8.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @deltago: Yeah, that sucks so much... I've been a PC gamer for years, can't handle a console controller other than a Nintendo64 one... A shame the PC version often bites the dust in favour of the console version.
    Troodon80 said:

XBox One games not even running on the XBox One at E3? Hm. Gotta love that they apparently didn't even use Windows 8.

This kind of a thing is more common than it should be.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    @Chow, well, it's understandable that they'd use a PC dev kit with comparable specifications. At this stage in time, the product is only a prototype. The console might work well enough, but if something happened during E3 that made the box look useless, such as early models of the PS2 slim scratching disks, it wouldn't look very good to have a read error as it shows it's only a half baked brick compared to their competitors. Not that a game crashing to a Windows 7 desktop is any better, mind you, but at least it wasn't during their big stage introduction.

In this case, though, they apparently weren't using comparable specifications. Which means that the game will look like that on a PC, but possibly not on the console when the final product is ready. Which would technically be false advertising if it weren't for their "final product may vary" disclaimer.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    I just hope Windows 9 will go 'back to the basics' (Windows button, where art thee?) and function properly again on PC. I think by now even Microsoft considers Windows 8 a flop, even though they'd never admit it.
    Btw, as the spelling and grammar nut that I am, is it actually 'Where art thou?' or 'Where art thee?'. Just wondering. :p
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Where art thou.

Unless you're Frog from Chrono Trigger. :)

My wife just yesterday was complaining about the Kinect on our 360. I looked her in the eye, and said "This is why our next console will be a PS4." For the first time, she agreed with me.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, to be fair, it's not close enough to the release that they would have actual Xbox One machines made yet so they probably used PCs to emulate it...
    Still kind of cheating and removing the whole point, don't you think?
    Well, I personally don't really think it's "cheating" to not make an actual machine out of a possibly unfinished build of the machine.

But on the Windows 7 part, Well... Microsoft really seems to want to push Windows 8, yet they themselves don't use it. That you can call all the bullshit you want on.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Chow said:

Troodon80 said:

This kind of a thing is more common than it should be.
    Well if the games are still in development, then this should be normal. Console games are created on computers and concept demos would run from computers.

The whole windows 8 thing is blown out of portion too. Windows 8 is better for handheld devises (phones, tablets) with touch screen capabilities. I find it a cluster fuck interface that is all over the place but that is besides the point. Why update an OS just for the sake of it? If it isn't broken for what you need it for (writing code, game development, graphic design) don't change it.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I am unsure if this is off topic, I am not touching any of the new consoles until reviews and I find out what is really going on, PS4 seems to be looking like the better option. One thing I don't get, the massive hate on windows 8, I prefer the new layout and it has really sped up the way I operate, but obviously this doesn't apply to everyone.
    @Majoca: Unfortunately, that's true. I sometimes even have a hard time finding the 'shut down' tile in the OS (so not the keyboard or monitor buttons). Or another stupid thing like watching an ordinary picture... Yes, even THAT did Microsoft manage to mess up. Glad to hear some people know how to work with it though. For me it's still pretty much wizardry. The bad kind.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, I think perhaps learning the hot keys makes everything much easier, windows + c brings up the charms bar, to shut-down computer you click settings and then power button. With my laptop though I never really turn it off, only to make updates or start fresh, so shut down isn't an issue with me I usually have it on sleep. Windows + D takes you straight to the desktop which is just like windows 7 without start button, the windows button opens start which consists of everything I use regularly, even the beam dog client ;). If you ever want to find something just start typing on the start menu it searches for that word and gives you sub-options to choose from so it will check your system, you can click in files, apps or the internet if your too lazy to start up google. Because I name all my folders and attach meta data to all my photographs for clients I can find them really quickly so I don't need to organize too much. I can understand other people situations when a program doesn't work with windows 8 or is not used to the interface but I think that is with everything I know people who hate computers in general just because they don't know how to operate them.

The criticism for Microsofts windows 8 is it's awful app store thing and the pointlessness relating to xbox, what's the point in viewing your Gamerscore and avatar?
    Maybe less people would hate operating systems and computers if those systems and computers were actually build in a straightforward and logical way. Trust me, I've been working with computers all my life now and Windows 8 is a real puzzle for me. My mom only manages to access her mail, the rest is a mystery for her. I'm not saying I'm a genius or something, but Windows 8 is just structured in a mind-boggling way. Fun for those who like it, hear-tearingly annoying for those who can't work with it. I prefer Windows 7 any day, and will keep it on my own PC till Windows 9 comes out. Or maybe even after, if 9 fails too. I got little hopes after having seen the Xbone.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Dee said:
    Edit: Here is microsoft's response.

" Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year."

-Don Mattrick, President, Interactive Entertainment Business

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
    I find this strangely appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0
    @Dee: Well, it's too late now. The damage to the Xbone's reputation has been done. Most gamers have already fixed their mind on buying a PS 4. But I must admit that Microsoft's regained a bit of respect in my books. It's hard for big companies to alter their products to customer feedback. In other words: it's hard for big companies to accept the fact their product isn't as good as they thought it would be. Microsoft at least dares admit their faults, unlike others who just stay deaf for their customer complaints. *coughEAcough* So yeah, respect, Microsoft? Now give me a good Windows 9 and we're friends again.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    /whistle
    Microsoft admitting they're wrong and backpedalling on basicly ALL their DRM statements. Whoah, never thought I'd say the day. Respect indeed.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Dee said:
    This paragraph from that article made me laugh a bit.
    whathifi said:

The post by Don Mattrick, President, Interactive Entertainment Business, thanked people who posted "feedback" for their "assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One".

I realize that the quotation marks are there to show that they are quoting from Don Mattrick's post, but it kind of makes it look like the stuff in quotes is a euphemism, especially "feedback". I mean, come on, when people on the internet don't like something, they don't offer "feedback". They devolve into gibbering mass of hatred and insanity. That "feedback" probably contained everything from death threats to theories on how the new Kinect is a mind control device.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited June 2013
    More Xbox 180 jokes!

This issue confuses me though, am I completely out of touch with real life, or is Microsoft?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

@Dee: Well, it's too late now. The damage to the Xbone's reputation has been done. Most gamers have already fixed their mind on buying a PS 4. But I must admit that Microsoft's regained a bit of respect in my books. It's hard for big companies to alter their products to customer feedback. In other words: it's hard for big companies to accept the fact their product isn't as good as they thought it would be. Microsoft at least dares admit their faults, unlike others who just stay deaf for their customer complaints. *coughEAcough* So yeah, respect, Microsoft? Now give me a good Windows 9 and we're friends again.

It doesn't regain my respect for them at all. I'm guessing they didn't do this for the consumers and their feedback. They did it because it looked like their sales were going to plummet. They did this for their bottom line. They were arrogant before and thought they could say a big "screw you" to consumers and people would still flock to buy their product. Now that there has been a huge negative backlash they are now in damage control. They thought they could make more money before by not letting people share or buy/sell used games, but it ended up biting them in the ass. Serves them right I say.