Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• apenneyapenney Member Posts: 5

The publishing partner who did this doesn't act like a partner at all. From the start the creation of the game was crippled by the prohibition to alter existing content, thus keeping the original npc's as mute as they were. Now they crippled the game by forcing a stop on sales and release of the much-expected patch. Let's hope they don't deliver a death-blow.

This is the worst part, they've had to jump through so many hoops just to meet arbitrary contract clauses as it is. I don't understand why they are so desperate to cripple an overhaul of ancient games. If I find out which partner is causing all the problems I will be sure never to purchase anything they are involved with in the future as a reward for being so difficult. I hope they will repent their ways and act like decent people about the whole thing.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    shawne said:

In a heartbeat, if they could profit from it. They're probably already getting a percentage of the profits, though: why shoot themselves in the foot?

Getting a percentage of the profits is not so much an issue as one side feeling they're not getting their appropriate share, which leads down legal rabbit holes and all sorts of nonsense. It is frustrating, but it happens.

This also explains why, for instance, there is no Alpha Centauri II. Firaxis would love to do one, but they can't get through the legal labyrinth.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I wonder why it is so much more difficult to do these things than it would be with movies and books. Bloody vampires.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    It's times like these when I can really appreciate the fact that the future of PC gaming seems to be indies and crowdfunding as opposed to old-fashioned suits whose only role is complicating things.
    @Chow - because of the nature of this game. First, there is the WOTC license, then there are the publisher's (original) rights (which were sold to multiple parties). Each of those moves added complexity. My guess is that the above people want to be paid as if they'd made BG:EE happen, even though their only involvement is via legal memorandums of agreement and contracts.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    apenney said:

The publishing partner who did this doesn't act like a partner at all. From the start the creation of the game was crippled by the prohibition to alter existing content, thus keeping the original npc's as mute as they were. Now they crippled the game by forcing a stop on sales and release of the much-expected patch. Let's hope they don't deliver a death-blow.

This is the worst part, they've had to jump through so many hoops just to meet arbitrary contract clauses as it is. I don't understand why they are so desperate to cripple an overhaul of ancient games. If I find out which partner is causing all the problems I will be sure never to purchase anything they are involved with in the future as a reward for being so difficult. I hope they will repent their ways and act like decent people about the whole thing.
    I think the publishing partner is Atari. In which case, it makes perfect sense why they've had to stop sales and development. Atari would have basically said to Beamdog "if I was you guys I'd stop what you're doing with BG, because we can't guarantee that you'll own it in a months time". Sound advice if you ask me.

It also explains why Beamdog couldn't alter existing content...if they did then Atari and Beamdog could have faced problems from Hasbro regarding the D&D digital rights license. Not that Hasbro would've said anything, because Beamdog aren't competitors of Hasbro...and that's all they're bothered about.
  • Dronovich_mskDronovich_msk Member Posts: 45
    Hey, guys, What's the matter with other languages? Espessially with Russian.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2013

Did you read the thread (at least the first page)?
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19376/announcement-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-has-been-temporarily-removed-from-sale/p1

I have no problem with other languages, and don't see a problem with them. In some ways, they're so fascinating. I mean, I grew up only speaking English and was mind-boggled to learn that other languages are constructed differently. It made me expand my mental horizons as I tried to grasp (in this case, Spanish) the grammatical and usage rules.

So, in short, there is nothing 'the matter' with other languages. They're rather interesting and a special part of our world.

[/troll]
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Open a Kickstarter to buy the rights of Bg1-2 from the other retarded partners!

Its a shame see a great project like this get stuck, because Atari is in bankrupt and need easy money!
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    That is some really interesting information! Good find
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Okey i will buy the rights of Bg from Atari --> Ziiiiiiiip "Open Wallet" How many gold pieces you need?
  • Somulo_Somulo_ Member Posts: 270
    edited June 2013
    @reedmilfam

omg seriously? i'm just need to learn a language? It's REALLY help cap! Thank you, you just show us all a truth! my god...

@Dronovich_msk

don't panic man, i hope overhaul just not announce all list of language support

i'm not such a nervous, but this is ridiculous, half of year guys from PLAYUA, speaking us about support and progress with localization, and now what? We must just like Neo from Matrix "learn" how use other language to read? Oh my my..

Overhaul, if you guys are reading this forum, please tell something about Russian and Ukraine localization, if that's really happen because Trent answering on twitter what localization will be available in the next patch. Many of players, i know, really cool speak on English (not i, but we have some people), but many, (not a population of other community's maybe) but real many player's from our country buy and play BG EE, and they are still have little hope, what tomorrow your game, be available on they language, and I really hope you do not forget about us...

Thank you.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Life Sux... And Then We Die..................
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    CamDawg said:

There's a reason why the default response of pretty much every organization about ongoing legal issues is 'no comment'.

What is the reason?

I've never been in a lawsuit, but I can't see how talking about it hurts anything?

Is it slander or something to say company x has sued us to stop working on BGEE? Or that Atari's bankruptcy has led to a situation where we aren't legally allowed to continue on BGEE until a new buyer is found? I don't know if that's true and I don't know the legal system but I can see a point in letting rumors get out of control.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    @smeagolheart It's usually a bad idea to give away any information in a situation like this. Any competitors will use it against you.

This situation has thrown up some interesting questions though:

1. What exactly did Beamdog buy from Atari in regards to licensing for BG?
    2. Did Atari unlawfully sell something to Beamdog (i.e. Selling something which wasn't entirely theirs to sell).
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    We always knew how hard it was for beamdog to get the rights to do this. After all that you still have people blocking your work...
    Beamdog kept BG as good as it was, and improved it, with great taste. Reviving this loved classic to all of us. Something that I doubt anyone else would.
    Its uncalled for and unfair to burden beamdog with more legal bullshit when they struggle to bring the best of BG, both new and old content.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Good luck in resolving this issue. :-)
    I'm sure you will succeed.
    Call me if you need my help.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Pecca said:

I'd imagine the old legal saying: Everything you say, can be used against you.

that implies that the 'you' is part of the legalities and not someone just getting the result of legal actions on others

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited June 2013
    Wiggles said:

Quartz said:

Honestly I feel like the game was kind of vomited upon..

Here's a kick when you're down if I've ever seen one...
    Overhaul has been very honest with us, I'm being honest with them.

You would have a fair point were it not for all of the other *positive* things I said in my post that you apparently missed.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    No offense taken, @Quartz. I continue to be impressed with the level of support we're getting from the community. So much so that I even tweeted about it yesterday (and I almost never tweet about anything): https://twitter.com/DPennyway
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Dee Thank you, I am glad to hear I haven't hurt your feelings at least.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    After November just keeps getting longer. All I wanted was a half-decent RPG on my Nexus 10.

/sigh
    @Somulo_ My comments were entirely satirical. The initial question was not 'what is the status of implementing Russian language support?', even though that is probably what the author intended. Sometimes my humor falls flat and if that happened in this case, I apologize.
  • Somulo_Somulo_ Member Posts: 270
    @reedmilfam

don't apologize sir it's just joke too
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @AndrewFoley

Must... give... more than... one... insightful...

*insert 'to end like this' here*
This discussion has been closed.