Skip to content

Baldur's Gate series npc religion

endlesslaserendlesslaser Member Posts: 2
Mostly in preparation for starting up my Baldur's Gate Reloaded game, I wanted to know what deities all the npcs worship. BG2 characters as well, because why not. Even off hand comments in dialogue are good as far as I'm concerned.

Imoen - ?
Khalid - ?
Ajantis - Helm
Kivan - Shevarash
Minsc - Mielikki?
Dynaheir - Mystra?
Coran - Hanali Celanil
Yeslick - Moradin/Clangeddin Silverbeard
Alora - ?
Jahiera - Silvanus
Garrick - ?
Safana - ?
Branwen - Tempus
Xan - Corellon Larethian
Quayle - Baravar Cloakshadow
Skie - ?
Xzar - Bane or Cyric?
Montaron - Bane of Cyric?
Kagain - ?
Edwin - ?
Shar-Teel - ?
Viconia - Shar
Eldoth - ?
Tiax - Cyric
Dorn - ?
Neera - ?
Baeloth - ?
Rasaad - Selune
Aerie - Baervan Wildwanderer/Aerdrie Faenya
Keldorn - Torm
Mazzy - Arvoreen
Nalia - ?
Valygar - ?
Anomen - Helm
Cernd - ?
Haer'Dalis - ?
Jan - ?
Yoshimo - ?
Korgan - ?
Sarevok - ?
Post edited by endlesslaser on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I feel like a lot of NPC's just don't bring up whatever god or gods they worship. So your list is probably fairly complete :(
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited July 2013
    Coran worships Hanali Celani.

I'm pretty sure that Kivan worships Shevarash, due to his whole talk of vengeance for Deheriana, and hate for Viconia. I think he also says something in banter, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and Xan worships Corellon Larethian.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    Xzar + Monty, either Cyric or Bane (whichever was the official god of the Zhentarim at the time)
    Kivan - if BG1NPC counts, then Shevarash, the elven god of revenge

10th
  • endlesslaserendlesslaser Member Posts: 2
    10thLich said:

Xzar + Monty, either Cyric or Bane (whichever was the official god of the Zhentarim at the time)

I thought that was just their clerics? And what about Velsharoon seeing as he's a necromancer? My other guesses are Mystra and Mielikki for Dynaheir and Minsc seeing as the Rashemi only worship three gods and those two seem to fit best.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Since Nalia's father worhiped Tyr, I believe that she might do the same.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2013
    Not every NPC in the realms has a patron deity. Characters with divine powers (Clerics, paladins) are required to have a patron, but other characters don't really need a favored god. If you really want to assign everyone a god though, here are my suggestions:
    Imoen - Lliira
    Minsc - Lurue
    Dynaheir - The Three (Selune, Chantea, and Mielikki)
    Coran - Sune
    Alora - Brandobaris
    Garrick - Shaundakul
    Safana - Mask
    Xan - Corellon Larethian
    Skie - Waukeen
    Xzar - Cyric
    Montaron - Cyric/Mask
    Kagain - Abbathor
    Edwin - Bane/Tiamat
    Shar-Teel - Lovitar
    Eldoth - Mask
    Dorn - Asmodeus
    Neera - Tymora/Beshaba
    Baeloth - Vhaeraun
    Nalia - Ilmater
    Valygar - Bahamut
    Cernd - Selune/Lurue
    Haer'Dalis - None
    Jan - Baravar Cloakshadow
    Yoshimo - Chan Cheng
    Korgan - Tempus
    Sarevok - Himself/Bhaal
    Faldorn- Malar
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I could see Skie worshipping Siamorphe.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Xzar and Monty are Zhents, so 99.9% likely they worship Bane (technically Xvim, since Bane isn't reborn until 6 years after TOB ends), if they worship a god at all.

Faldorn also worships Silvanus. Oak Father is another one of Silvanus names.

All Shadow Druids worship Silvanus, due to his stronger stance on protecting nature at all costs. They're definitely much more extreme in that view then even he is, but the sentiment is the same. Chauntea on the other hand prefers to support nature and civilization, by compromising and working together.

Mielikki and her subordinates are also supporters of cooperation, but are much more proactive and supporting it, rather then the more passive-agressive stance Chauntea takes.

And Malar is the uber-extreme, Survival of the Fittest, and is usually more concerned about the strong over the weak rather then what is good for natural balance, which is why the other nature deities dislike him, even though he's technically an underling of Silvanus.

Talos is technically a nature deity as well....but...he throws balance out the window and is just the ultimate form of the destructive power of nature Incarnate.

Cernd is probably Chauntea or Silvanus, he's got a more laid back, boring druidic attitude, typical of them. (though technically, as a shapeshifter, even Malar, god of werebeasts, can't be entirely ruled out...though Cernd is definitely not a very poius Malarite if he is).

Mieikki on the other hand is much more active, her druids have less strict vows (can be true neutral, neutral good or chaotic neutral, they can choose one additional weapon type to have proficiency beyond those normal to druids that a ranger could use and can wear studded leather or elven armors without violating their oaths, and in FR only worshipers of Mielikki can MC as a Ranger/Druid (and has the same rules as a normal Mielikki druid (except that they MUST be Neutral Good)...able to use 1 additional type of weapon of weapon of their choice and wear studded leather or elven armors without violating their oaths (F/D, and R/D can normally only use equipment available to normal druids, which is another issue I take with BG only restricting on weapons).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

Xzar and Monty are Zhents, so 99.9% likely they worship Bane (technically Xvim, since Bane isn't reborn until 6 years after TOB ends), if they worship a god at all.

Faldorn also worships Silvanius. Oak Father is another one of Silvanius names.

Oak Father? That is a seriously funny name.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'd say Imoen worships Tymora for sure. Goddess of good fortune, skill and adventure. Certainly fits with her character. I'd put Coran as a Tymoran too, but he definitely fits under Sune as well.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    In Bgnpc mod Imoen says something like 'By Mask, I can't remember how many times I wished someone could bail me outta trouble when I was of Varci's age.' when the kid Warci begs for help in that Tymoran quest to fetch the body of the killed child from Umberlee temple. I know it's mod content thus not official, and Mask is a rather dark god with evil tendencies. But it is not uncommon for people of thieving skills to pay homage to Mask. Whether they do it for evil intent, greed, survival or fun. Raised in Candlekeep, she might also be tutored in the ways of Oghma or Deneir, but I guess she will find them boooooring and since she secretly practises thievery, she might be into Mask for good luck.

Some npcs may be godless, I find it hard to think Jan is a pious person and Haer'Dalis pretty much worships entropy as a philosophy. And Sarevok clearly does not worship any god, he wishes to become one by using his own birtright power, he adorns himself with Bhaal symbols but he does not worship or pay homage to a dead deity:he wants to take his place!
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, people will often say a small prayer to a god, even if they personally dislike them and what they do, as long as it applies to whatever action they're undertaking. (Sailors especially tend to make offerings to Umberlee and Valkur when travelling at sea, in hopes that they will have a safe voyage).

All mages except shadow weave users pay at least lip service to Mystra, regardless of their alignment. (was a much easier choice prior to ToT, since the old Mystra was LN, while Midnight is Neutral Good).
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2013
    Baeloth - Lolth?
    Khalid - whatever Jahiera tells him to worship
    edited July 2013
    Almost no male drow worship Lolth. They generally worship Vhaerun (secretly or for outcasts) or Selvetarm (Lolth's champion demi-god, though his worshippers are almost exclusively House fighters, since his creed is absolute obedience and servitude to Lolth and her priestesses)).

A few spellcasters, especially necromancers, will worship Kirisanilee.

Pretty much no one worships Gaunadour...aside some insane freaks.

Interestingly there are male clerics of Lolth, but they can't progress beyond level 5 max (even with high scores, because Lolth herself is limiting their growth. Male Clerics of other gods that transfer to Lolth have their spell-casting or other divine abilities limited to level 5, but keep any physical abilities, like HP, thac0, etc they have appropriate for their level). Where as female drow can progress to 15 (up to 18 with high wisdom).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @ZanathKariashi
    Pharaun Mizzrym in the War of the Spider Queen series claims to be a genuine believer in Lolth, if only because he also claims that his spirit has been to the Demonweb Pits where he saw Lolth with his own eyes.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

@ZanathKariashi
    Pharaun Mizzrym in the War of the Spider Queen series claims to be a genuine believer in Lolth, if only because he also claims that his spirit has been to the Demonweb Pits where he saw Lolth with his own eyes.

That's fair; I'd believe in and worship Lolth if I personally met her and saw her power.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Malicron said:

@ZanathKariashi

That's fair; I'd believe in and worship Lolth if I personally met her and saw her power.
    I'd worship any god I met personally.