Skip to content

Transfer from BG EE to BG 2 (Portraits and items)

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I have just completed BG EE and I'm now trying to transfer my Charname straight to BG 2. I haven't seen a guide about how to do it exactly, but I just copied the Final Save folder from BG EE into BG 2 Saves and imported via Saved Games.

So whilst the import did work in terms of transfering my character's stats and xp, his portrait no longer works, presumably cos BG 2 has a different sizing system compared to EE.

So... looking at the files within the Final Save folder, there are picture files for each of my party members (All custom). To make the portraits work in BG 2, do I just edit the pictures in the game save, or do I need to create a new 'portraits' folder in BG 2 as well?

Also, I know you are meant to lose all your items between BG 1 and BG 2... however I saw a guide that says you should keep your golden pantaloons and 3 items of choice on your character for the final battle... what's that about? I saw no options to keep any items when BG EE ended...

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    In order to make your custom portraits work in BG2, you should create a new Portraits folder in that game's folder. The dimensions of BG2 portraits are 110x170 (medium) and 38x60 (small). Large is also 210x330, but not required.

BG2 will import some specific items from your BG1 character provided they are in the main character's inventory upon exporting. I don't know, however, if that works when importing from BG:EE.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Did you copy the portraits to the BG2 portrait folder?
    Also, I know you are meant to lose all your items between BG 1 and BG 2... however I saw a guide that says you should keep your golden pantaloons and 3 items of choice on your character for the final battle... what's that about? I saw no options to keep any items when BG EE ended...
    If you have certain items in your inventory in the save you import then you will these items in Irenicus' dungeon.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    ambrennan said:

Did you copy the portraits to the BG2 portrait folder?

If you have certain items in your inventory in the save you import then you will these items in Irenicus' dungeon.

Ah no, I thought the saved game included the portraits. I've just copy-pasted all my portraits, and now I do have working pics, just not sized properly. That'd be an easy fix.

Oh so my inventory items will be found in the first dungeon? Cool... what about equipped items? I quite like to keep Twinkle and Tamoko's armour.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Technically all the items that are in your main character's inventory (equipped or not) will be imported. However, immediately upon starting the game, all of them will be stripped from you. There are a few items that, if in your inventory, will be placed in the starting dungeon (see here).

There is an exploit to keep all your items. If you pause the game the instant the opening cutscene ends, you can drop all your items, and then pick them back up after the game has cleared your inventory.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    first of all for the items,
    you will find the gold pantaloons in the picture where the dagger+1 is, by the weapon and armor table/chest where the golem is, next when you get to the bookcase that is in the room just pass the otyugh, you will either get the helm of balduran, ring of koveras, or (the claw of kazgaroth and or cloak of balduran, but I have never seem to have them work) usually the helm of balduran has top priority over all the items except for the ring of koveras, and as for twinkle, weeeeeeell you will find that someone isn't to happy about you having that item, you will see, once you emerge from the underdark
    and second, tamoko's armor is just standard fullplate+1 and there is quite a few suits of it in SoA, in fact there is quite a few suits of fullplate+2 in SoA, so you don't need to worry about that :)
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

This page has a table of the items that can be imported into BG2. The best items to bring are the Chainmail +3, and the Claw of Kazgaroth, in my opinion.
    I like the helm of balduran best, its a great helmet for anyone who can wear one, plus there is chainmail+4 in SoA, sacrificing the helm of balduran for chainmail +3, madness, I say :) ( and the chainmail+3 cant possibly be for a bard since they get some wicked chain in their bard quest astral prison thingy magigy :) )
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    sarevok57 said:

...sacrificing the helm of balduran for chainmail +3, madness, I say :) ...

I don't think that's how it works. You can get both the helm of balduran and chainmail +3. According to the dudleyville chart, you lose the helm only if your character is wearing one of the Kazgaroth items or the ring of Koveras (which is rubbish).
    im pretty sure you only get one, and once I got koveras' ring of protection+1 once, wasn't to happy about that, because its no different than a normal ring of protection +1
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    I've always gotten both the Helm of Balduran and the Mail of the Dead in the past.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    The problem with the Helm of Balduran is that you'll usually only have 2-3 characters in your party who can even use a helmet. That's three slots to fill in a party of 6 out of all the helmets in the game, and there are a few that are significantly better than the Helm of Balduran (Vhailor's Helm, Helm of the Rock, Roranach's Horn Dragon Helm, Ioun Stones, etc).

Rings, in comparison, can be used by almost anyone. That gives you 12 slots to fill, and allows much more flexibility in what party member gets which bonuses. The Claw of Kazgaroth has bigger saving throw bonuses than even ToB items and gives you blur. Its best with a Dwarf or Gnome, where the bonuses can get up to -1 vs. Death; +9 vs everything else. The only item that comes close is the Ring of Protection +3.

@sarevok57 the Chainmail +3 is actually best on a Barbarian or Viconia. You upgrade it quickly, sure, but not until you clear the Shadow Ruins or do some Cleric quests. Viccy's STR is too low for plate armours without a boost, and the Chainmail +3 is very nice to have early on her.

Also, you don't give up the Helm of Balduran for the Chainmail +3. You give up Full Plate +1, or +2 Chainmail as the default.
    the chainmail +3 replaces the mail of the dead? quite whacky, I will have to try that one day, and yeah I guess it would be great for a barbarian, but there is an ankheg shell in athkatla that I always grab and turn into ankheg platemail for good ol' viconia