Skip to content

Kensai -> Thief: No Katanas?

I just created a Kensai for BGT with ** Katanas and ** Single Weapon. The plan was 5 pips Katanas or 4 depending on dual) and then daggers, duel, etc. as a thief. Anyhow, I started the game and went into to buy some gear from Winthrop . . . no Katanas. Grrrr. I have exotic items installed from BGT Tweaks. Am I SOL? No Katanas until Baldur's Gate city?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You'll have to go to the smithy in Beregost. He should have some.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    You were correct. Bad news . . . $750 for a non-magical katana! Ouch! Are they subject to the iron crisis, too? That would suck if it breaks.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    No idea. Worst comes to worse you can reload if it does.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Put two points into daggers and pick up the dagger of venom from beregost and you're fine through all of BG1 then use katanas in BG2.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't believe Katanas are affected by the iron crisis, no.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Winthrop sells a normal katana for 750g as well.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Katana are imported from other lands, rather then manufactured around the sword-coast area, so no, they have nothing to do with the iron crisis. (they're also made of only the finest materials).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013

Katana are imported from other lands, rather then manufactured around the sword-coast area, so no, they have nothing to do with the iron crisis. (they're also made of only the finest materials).

It says in the game that the iron 'poison' is contagious. I think one of the guys drinking in the FAI says something about weapons that have recently been retrieved from dungeons (meaning they were made long before the iron crisis began) crumbling after coming into contact with tainted iron.

Lore-wise you could chalk it up to what it says in the item description about the katana being quasi-magical due to the level of craftmenship. In reality it's probably just a balance/convenience thing, similar to why armour and helmets don't break either.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    (Real) Katanas are forged in very different ways from traditional swords which could play into why they aren't effected as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana#Forging_and_construction

More information available there, but I believe they're also made with special types of steel which is made in layers (and also isn't [pure] iron).
    Katana are also stated to be extremely difficult to enchant because of their construction process, so it's likely they're just too resistant to the "poison" to be affected.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268

They're not affected by the Iron Crisis, but they absolutely are not made from the best materials. They're actually made from objectively weaker iron, but are forged in a manner that compliments its characteristics.
    ......it says specifically in the item description for ALL katana, that they are forged with only the best materials and made with such skill and precision that even enchanting a katana is a daunting and difficult process due to being so close to perfection it's difficult for magical enhancements to be applied.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Eastern weapons do not break in BGEE.
    Tyranus said:

They're not affected by the Iron Crisis, but they absolutely are not made from the best materials. They're actually made from objectively weaker iron, but are forged in a manner that compliments its characteristics.
    I'm not sure where you're getting this information from. For one things katanas are made from steel, not iron (and there is a big difference in structure). For another, the finely crafted Japanese katanas are made from several layers of different kinds of steel. While one layer may be weaker than typical European steel, it's the very process of layering the different strengths that makes katanas so strong.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    An almost identical discussion can be found here, if anyone's interested.
  • seawiedseawied Member Posts: 24
    rathlord said:

(Real) Katanas are forged in very different ways from traditional swords which could play into why they aren't effected as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana#Forging_and_construction

More information available there, but I believe they're also made with special types of steel which is made in layers (and also isn't [pure] iron).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc

Listen to the point where he talks about European smiting techniques. The folded steel technique is not unique to Japan, and in many ways, European smiting techniques became superior to Japan's techniques.
    @seaweid I never claimed the katana was a good weapon. They were only made by subpar smiths much later when the art of making them had mainly died out, and the military started requiring their officers to carry them again. All of his points are very, very true but most of his discussion was about the quality of the weapons, not the material. I feel like you searched for "bad things about katanas" to post something X=

At any given time period the strength and quality of the steel of the widely carried katanas were higher than the average weapon swordsmiths in Europe were making at the time. While Japanese craftsmen were very secretive about their techniques, this required them to be clever and smart in a market that was constantly searching for quality. In the mean time, in Europe, people bought whatever their local blacksmith made which was typically fairly poor quality.

So yes, some exceptions may exist, but the quality of steel in the average katana in the correct time period is unmatched.
  • seawiedseawied Member Posts: 24
    My point isn't if Katanas are good or bad weapons, just that their forging techniques really aren't unique to Japan at all. If anything, Japan was late on the ball to adopt these techniques.

I actually have this video bookmarked because of how often it comes up in video game discussions. I was one of the admin's for Mount & Blade: Warband's QA testing and there was a big push by some very vocal katana-Fanboys to make the katana the best weapon in the game. Lendy Beige's video helped stop the push, and his arguments about the katana are backed up by books on metallurgical analysis of old swords.
    Their specific forging techniques are very unique. While folding of metal may not have just been done by them, or just in their time period, it was both the exceptional quality of their craftsmanship and the advancement for their time that made them stand out. If you look at a cross section of the most talented Japanese sword makers' blades you can see the incredibly complex pattern of folding they use. It's not just a simple once-over like a few European smiths did; if Japan's technique wasn't so unique you would see curved swords in Europe from the same process the Japanese used. You don't. Their curved weapons are forged to be curved. Katanas et al. are curved because of the cooling process and the layers cause the sword to bend while hardening.

I still think you're confusing the usefulness of the weapon and the quality of the craftsmanship. Your video is very informative, and there are FAR too many katana fanboys out there, but the fact that katanas are some of the most exquisitely crafted blades in history just isn't opinion. There are plenty of reference sources that back this up. I've studied medieval warfare since I was a child; if you'd like some reference materials I'd be glad to cite some from my collection. To me it just seems like you're one of those people who feels the need to set themselves against something just because lots of people are for it.
    It depends on who was making the sword and what era it was from. Both east and west have had their share of exceptional weapons, especially for rich people with the money to drop on such things. (M&B is pretty accurate in that an exquisitely made sword or suit of armor was literally worth more then a King's ransom).

During the warring states period, Katana were mass-produced, and were of generally lower quality. While after the Unification, the samurai class developed nobles who didn't do a whole lot due to the relative peace and were free to splurge on having ridiculously exquisite weapons made. That is the period which most of the "uber" katana hail from and were rarely, if ever, actually used in battle outside duels of honor. Their creation became ritualized and that is the point where they became "uber" weapons, since you would use only the finest materials and most refined techniques.

Highly expensive European swords in contrast were generally the opposite. Extremely ornate and well adorned, and nearly worthless as weapons of war, since they were intended basically as mantle pieces from the start, while Japanese blades were simple due to tradition, and made for battle, specifically for dueling.

As far as weapons design goes, the katana (and it's cousins) is a pretty balanced weapon. It's slight curve makes it ideal for slashing. It's still relatively straight, and the slight arc allows it to handle more direct pressure when used in a stab, along with it's solid spine. The weight distribution also aides in downward strokes. The layering technique gives it resilience and strength without increased weight.

Is it uber? Debatable. Is it a very versatile weapon suited for many situations? Yes.
    @ZanathKariashi Nice post, I agree with everything you said there.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    rathlord said:

To me it just seems like you're one of those people who feels the need to set themselves against something just because lots of people are for it.

No need to make it personal, now.
    Tetrapus said:

rathlord said:

To me it just seems like you're one of those people who feels the need to set themselves against something just because lots of people are for it.

No need to make it personal, now.
    Apologies if that came off rude, that's not how I meant it. There are people out there who act like this, though, and that's how his post came off to me. Finding tiny exceptions and blowing them out of proportion to argue a case that's not viable so as to go against the norm. Just a personal observation, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it. There's nothing wrong with it, to be sure.