Skip to content

Alternate version of Jason Manley pic?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
While google searching, I happen to come across this alt version of one of the new Manley portrait pics:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcAOwBxedWGzmzQblZUzYFgTI29WAzKg3S3jtRasFqFN_8uN_u
(attached at the bottom of this post)

It appears that this may have been Manley's original draft of this pic.

I'd very much love to see a full-sized version of this. Unfortunately, the original site of this pic isn't working:

http://gallery.conceptart.org/female-theif-study-baldurs-gate/

By any chance, does anyone know where else I might be able to find this pic?

Also, on a side note, I could never quite figure out what that is directly behind the character's head. Is that a bow? If so, why is it positioned up in the air like that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for posting this. I like this original draft much better. The idea of a veiled woman from Candlekeep just doesn't seem plausible. If she was from Al-Qadim/Zakhara, then wearing a veil might be more believable.

That's a crossbow strapped to her back, by the way. You can tell by the cocking stirrup and the barrel where the bolt sits (*cue Beavis and Butthead giggle*).
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited July 2013
    Mortianna said:

That's a crossbow strapped to her back, by the way. You can tell by the cocking stirrup and the barrel where the bolt sits (*cue Beavis and Butthead giggle*).

Thanks!

But damn, that is one giant crossbow LOL.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

Mortianna said:

Thanks!

But damn, that is one giant crossbow LOL.
    artists are probably not crossbow master chiefs
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2013
    The one she has seems about the right size for a Light Crossbow (especially if she's petite), as compared to a Heavy Crossbow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziq5zm4uO-Y

I can see why it takes two rounds to shoot one bolt.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Mortianna said:

I can see why it takes two rounds to shoot one bolt.

I made mention of this (not the video, but the time it takes to load, etc) in the crossbows for mages thread some time back.

Regarding the topic at hand, @SharGuidesMyHand, I've tried some basic searching and I can come up the image from a cache/archive which backed up a 4chan /vg/ thread. However, I have no idea about copyright on this - since the image is no longer available from the original source, there might be a reason for it. I'm not going to link to the thread due to its somewhat offensive nature (it is 4chan, after all). The image resolution is 800 × 1179, and the appropriate thread can be found by doing a Google search.
    Troodon80 said:

Regarding the topic at hand, @SharGuidesMyHand, I've tried some basic searching and I can come up the image from a cache/archive which backed up a 4chan /vg/ thread. However, I have no idea about copyright on this - since the image is no longer available from the original source, there might be a reason for it. I'm not going to link to the thread due to its somewhat offensive nature (it is 4chan, after all). The image resolution is 800 × 1179, and the appropriate thread can be found by doing a Google search.

Thanks a lot, I was able to find a large-sized pic.

I regret that I have only one "like" to give. ;-)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I've attached the large pic to this post.

That's a great image and I agree that's even cooler than the one shipped with the game.
    Kilivitz said:

I've attached the large pic to this post.

That's a great image and I agree that's even cooler than the one shipped with the game.

I've tweaked the portrait a bit to make her features more visible.
    I don't know about you guys, but I have a sudden urge to play BG:EE as a crossbow-wielding archer. ;-)