Skip to content

Basic game tips (for new players!)

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Ian_Os said:

What is the streategy to kill the Tanar`ri ?

Wand of Paralyzation.

• DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Does anyone know if you still lose weapons (melee) from iron shortage in this game? I remember playing vanilla game and while it was realistic, it was annoying as hell in early game. Either way, Im playing the black pits with a made party first. It would make no sense if the swords/such broke that way in the pits.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    DKnight said:

Does anyone know if you still lose weapons (melee) from iron shortage in this game? I remember playing vanilla game and while it was realistic, it was annoying as hell in early game. Either way, Im playing the black pits with a made party first. It would make no sense if the swords/such broke that way in the pits.

Yes in the main game, am not sure about the black pits, but it's probably the same
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Ian_Os said:

What is the streategy to kill the Tanar`ri ?

Wand of Paralyzation.

That's an answer to *many* problems :-)
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    I haven't read all the comments on this thread, so I apologize if I'm just repeating someone else...

@Winthal Just curious, is there a reason why you haven't included a link to the BG Manuals? The first is a lot of fluff text on the world of BG and the second one includes a lot of useful information such as class XP progression tables, details on spells, and ability point tables. Here's the link:

http://www.baldursgate.com/manuals.en.html
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Query about save slots. I couldn't find answer in the manuals nor on a quicky search here in the forums. How many save slots are there? ie. when you restart a game from the previous day you click on single game and then see a list of the saves and quick saves. How many can you have? I found out where on my Mac I can delete them. Just curious. Thanks in advance.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Starlily said:

Query about save slots. I couldn't find answer in the manuals nor on a quicky search here in the forums. How many save slots are there? ie. when you restart a game from the previous day you click on single game and then see a list of the saves and quick saves. How many can you have? I found out where on my Mac I can delete them. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I've never found a limit, and I've had over a dozen games going at a time. Although you are always limited to one quick save and one auto save.
    I do sometimes delete games I'm no longer using just because they start to be a clutter when I'm doing file management chores (moving stuff around for iPad, ShadowKeeper or multi/Single saves).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Starlily said:

Some guy on another thread said he had over 800 saves, so you should be fine. The only thing to look out for is if you have a lot of saves, the game can take a while to load the list of save games in the load game screen, and temporarily lock up while doing so.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    TJ_Hooker said:

Some guy on another thread said he had over 800 saves, so you should be fine. The only thing to look out for is if you have a lot of saves, the game can take a while to load the list of save games in the load game screen, and temporarily lock up while doing so.

Oh! Thanks, thats nice to know. I don't have too many saves at the moment. :) And only one quick save mentioned in previous post I will keep in mind.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109

DKnight said:

Yes in the main game, am not sure about the black pits, but it's probably the same
    Yeah they break in the Black Pits too.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    @DKnight @amftron all basic melee weapons except Katanas have a chance to break, I believe.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2013
    Tyranus said:

@DKnight @amftron all basic melee weapons except Katanas have a chance to break, I believe.

Also Wakizashi and Ninjato do not break--presumably for the same reason as Katanas.

Edit: And anything not made of metal, like quarterstaff or club, for example.

Tyranus said:

Also Wakizashi and Ninjato do not break--presumably for the same reason as Katanas.

Edit: And anything not made of metal, like quarterstaff or club, for example.

Correct. When I play an Evil character, I don't rationalize killing Sarevok because he killed Gorion or wants me dead. Oh no, I remember that first time I rolled a Paladin and my Two Handed Sword broke against that damn wolf! That has forever made me hate Sarevok and actually enjoy the story of BG1 and the Iron Crisis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    I once broke my two-hander against Shank and had to punch him to death... to this day I don't give any starting character two-handed sword proficiency, as they cost a lot and are hard to replace in the beginning...

I once broke my two-hander against Shank and had to punch him to death... to this day I don't give any starting character two-handed sword proficiency, as they cost a lot and are hard to replace in the beginning...

To that end!

Use your TAB key to highlight interactable objects! You get a diamond in the first map upon leaving Candlekeep that I played BG1 for YEARS before finding out about. It's 500g and helps get you going once you hit the Friendly Arm Inn

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    It may have already been mentioned, but perhaps the greatest piece of advice I have received (in relation to helping decide on character class) was to start a game within The Black Pits. I created a few classes which most interested me, and a few that didn't (everyone deserves a second chance), and it has really helped with regard to making an appropriate choice at character creation.

The Black Pits is a lot of fun. It has a good script and the voice acting is superb. The fact that it allows swift character progression (as you level up quickly) allows for a nice test drive with each class. It has really brought the Bard to the forefront of my attention. I created a Bard to round out my party of six, almost as a throwaway gesture, an afterthought. However, in terms of versatility and enjoyment the Bard has excelled. Furthermore, on two separate occasions the Bard has been the last adventurer standing to step up and win the battle.

The benefit of Skald Song is fantastic when tough enemies are forthcoming. The unique approach of Jester Song* is brilliant. The ability to cast spells such as horror and sleep can really turn the tide. Being able to melee in a pinch, or offer ranged support is the cherry on top. The bonus of access to wands is a whole double serving.

*I had an instance of the Bard (a Jester) being the last one standing. I gulped an invisibility potion and starting singing. The enemies got confused and wandered aimlessly. I cannot be sure that they may have taken a pop at each other in the process. I opened up a comfortable distance and let fire with a wand of fire to flatten the opposition and win the battle.
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    when your fighting a dragon here's good advice when in doupt RUN AWAY!!!!

Every dragon in SoA has a non-violent path available. It's OK to consider them 'extra' enemies to come back to later. They smack you around HARD when you first encounter them.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Tyranus said:

Every dragon in SoA has a non-violent path available. It's OK to consider them 'extra' enemies to come back to later. They smack you around HARD when you first encounter them.
    Granted, the third evil Dragon (not counting the Good Dragon most people won't fight) can only be avoided by giving away all your money), but it still holds true that you do not need to fight any until Throne of Bhaal (when two are mandatory).
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Tyranus said:

Bah, I always head straight to one of them (no names) when i'm done in the copper coronet and the keep.
    amftron said:

Tyranus said:

Bah, I always head straight to one of them (no names) when i'm done in the copper coronet and the keep.
    Oh, me too! I always used to do the Umar Hills first, until I installed SCS for the first time and got my ass handed to me by those shades.
  • TzeiEmTzeiEm Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone! I'm doing my first play through of BG:EE. I used to have the original BG when I was a kid, but didn't understand the game at all and eventually gave up on it, since at that time internet and the help it provides wasn't really there :) But recently I bought it from Steam at a ridiculously cheap price, gave it a second chance and noticed that finally I'm starting to get the hang of it. Yet I still have a few questions to make:

1. What on earth means "canon party"?

2. My party consist of PC (Ranger -> Archer), Imoen, Yeslick, Minsc and Dynaheir. PC and Imoen are my archers, Dynaheir throws magic missiles and uses a sling, and Minsc and Yeslick act as melee guys. I'd really like to add a 6th member to my group and I'd like it to be a mage. Just because I've seen a bunch of BG gameplay videos on Youtube and having two mages looks awesome :) But the question is, where can I find a mage whose alignment is good?

3. Does the BG:EE already include the expansions and stuff? Or is it just a polished version of the original game? I know it includes some "Escape from the pits" thing but that's not quite an expansion, is it?

4. Is the journal buggy or am I just stupid? Because especially reading the story stuff from the journal is a pain in the a** since it doesn't support the mouse roll and every time I try to roll the page up or down by clicking with the left mouse button, it selects the journal entry and won't let me roll the journal all the way up or down (a bit confusing explanation of the problem, but I hope you get the idea).

5. Why do the higher level mages shoot multiple magic missiles at once, when the lower level mages shoot just one? What affects the number of magic missiles fired simultaneously? Level? Intelligence?

6. Just today I accepted a sorcerer into my party (don't remember the name anymore), but he turned out to be evil and thus lowered my reputation, so I dismissed him. Before dismissing him I stripped him of his fancy (and expensive) robe. But when I tried to sell the robe, the store keepers keep telling me that they won't buy stolen goods. It's not stolen (technically anyway), so why won't they buy it? And is there someone in this game that actually does buy stolen stuff?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    TzeiEm said:

Hi everyone! I'm doing my first play through of BG:EE. I used to have the original BG when I was a kid, but didn't understand the game at all and eventually gave up on it, since at that time internet and the help it provides wasn't really there :) But recently I bought it from Steam at a ridiculously cheap price, gave it a second chance and noticed that finally I'm starting to get the hang of it. Yet I still have a few questions to make:

1. What on earth means "canon party"?

2. My party consist of PC (Ranger -> Archer), Imoen, Yeslick, Minsc and Dynaheir. PC and Imoen are my archers, Dynaheir throws magic missiles and uses a sling, and Minsc and Yeslick act as melee guys. I'd really like to add a 6th member to my group and I'd like it to be a mage. Just because I've seen a bunch of BG gameplay videos on Youtube and having two mages looks awesome :) But the question is, where can I find a mage whose alignment is good?

3. Does the BG:EE already include the expansions and stuff? Or is it just a polished version of the original game? I know it includes some "Escape from the pits" thing but that's not quite an expansion, is it?

4. Is the journal buggy or am I just stupid? Because especially reading the story stuff from the journal is a pain in the a** since it doesn't support the mouse roll and every time I try to roll the page up or down by clicking with the left mouse button, it selects the journal entry and won't let me roll the journal all the way up or down (a bit confusing explanation of the problem, but I hope you get the idea).

5. Why do the higher level mages shoot multiple magic missiles at once, when the lower level mages shoot just one? What affects the number of magic missiles fired simultaneously? Level? Intelligence?

6. Just today I accepted a sorcerer into my party (don't remember the name anymore), but he turned out to be evil and thus lowered my reputation, so I dismissed him. Before dismissing him I stripped him of his fancy (and expensive) robe. But when I tried to sell the robe, the store keepers keep telling me that they won't buy stolen goods. It's not stolen (technically anyway), so why won't they buy it? And is there someone in this game that actually does buy stolen stuff?

Welcome to BG and the community.

1) The story of BG 1 EE continues to BG 2 Shadow of Amn and the expansion, Throne of Bhaal. BG2 assumes that you travelled with a specific group of NPCs in BG 1, or otherwise the beginning of BG 2 will not make sense. Those NPCs are Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen.

2) Dynaheir is the only good aligned mage, but you can recruit neutral characters with no penalties in terms of reputation. They also don't complain whether you do good or evil things. The neutral casters are Quayle and Xan, but both of them are really annoying for different reasons, and not particularly strong either. So if you want a second arcane caster, I'd recommend Neera. She is a neutral Wild Mage that you can find in Beregost. I suspect you have met her already, in which case she should be in the Friendly Arm Inn, unless she is already dead. She is one of the new characters created for Enhanced Edition, and so is better developed than the originals. She comes with her own quest, which is unlocked after a number of days travelling with you, and she is 'romance-able' if you are using a male character.

3) Yes, BG EE includes the original Vanilla game as well as its expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast. Black Pit is entirely separate from the main game.

4) I'm not entirely sure what you mean... but yes, the journal system could be better. At least it's split in chapters and moves completed quests into a separate section, so it helps you to see what you have done and what you need to do. (very useful once you reach the massive mess of quests that is the great city of Baldur's Gate).

5) Intelligence is surprisingly useless in this game. It only affects how many spells you can learn per level, and your chances of learning them (which is moot if you save-load before reading a scroll). Oh and you need 17 Int if you try to dual-class somebody into a mage. Apart from that, Intelligence does not really affect the game. The power of spells like Magic Missile depends entirely on your mage's level. So my lv 7 Dynaheir fires 4 missiles with Magic Missile, whilst my lv 6/6 Fighter/Mage PC fires 3 missiles.

6) I'm not sure about this... but some stores don't buy certain things, or don't identify certain things. Inventory space is not normally a problem in EE, because you come across scroll cases, gem bags and potion cases that massive increases how much you can carry. So just keep it with you until you come across a shop that does buy. The 'Sorcerous Sundry' in East Baldur's Gate seems to buy just about everything. I've turned up with all sorts of magic/mundane/stolen/legitimate/weapons/gems/wands/scrolls etc.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    2: Imoen can be dual classed to a mage. Neera is available in Beregost, she's Neutral. And I think Xan in the Nashkel Mine is good.

3. It includes the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion on top of the additions specificly in the Enhanced Edition. It does not include Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal.

5. Its just a per level thing.

6. Black Lily in Baldur's Gate. Just shove stolen goods into a barrel and come back for them when you find her.
    Thanks for your answers. I really already forgot about Neera. I did have her in my party and even did her own quest, but had to dismiss her when I recruited Minsc and Dynaheir, since I didn't want to lose Khalid, Jaheira or Imoen at that point. Now that I have room in my group, I think I'll roll with Neera once again :)

4) I'm not entirely sure what you mean... but yes, the journal system could be better. At least it's split in chapters and moves completed quests into a separate section, so it helps you to see what you have done and what you need to do. (very useful once you reach the massive mess of quests that is the great city of Baldur's Gate).

What I mean is, when I read the journal entries (and I don't mean quest entries, but actual journal entries under the button "Journal" to which all the story driven stuff go, like for example the stuff that the narrator tells you between chapters) it won't let me scroll the page up or down, but intead will select the entry I'm clicking and go into an edit mode, where I can edit or delete the journal entry in question. While this is not a major problem, it is quite annoying :)
    edited July 2013
    I'm doubleposting, but whateva. A question about killing people: does the game allow me to kill any character or do the story-wise important characters stay alive no matter what and just go unconscious or something? I was just wandering, because I'd like to replay the game with an evil character after I'm done with my first and good aligned play through. I always find it hard in any RPG to play as an evil character, because especially if you play chaotic evil it would fit the character to just blindly and cold bloodedly kill innocent people, but if it breaks the story then it's something I shouldn't do. Of course, I could always play like I play with a good character, but just pick the insulting dialog options and wait for NPCs to attack me and then kill them :)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I think Elminster is the only guy you can't kill. Not sure~
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    TzeiEm said:

I'm doubleposting, but whateva. A question about killing people: does the game allow me to kill any character or do the story-wise important characters stay alive no matter what and just go unconscious or something? I was just wandering, because I'd like to replay the game with an evil character after I'm done with my first and good aligned play through. I always find it hard in any RPG to play as an evil character, because especially if you play chaotic evil it would fit the character to just blindly and cold bloodedly kill innocent people, but if it breaks the story then it's something I shouldn't do. Of course, I could always play like I play with a good character, but just pick the insulting dialog options and wait for NPCs to attack me and then kill them :)

I have never played evil parties in BG, so perhaps not the best to answer this... On the whole, BG is meant to be played as a good aligned party, and in most situations doing the 'right thing' offers better rewards. Like for example in the Cloakwood mines, you can complete the quest with or without saving the slaves, but saving the slaves improves your reputation AND gives you far more xp points, so it's a no-brainer choice from a gaming perspective. All shops charge prices based on your reputation, so your shopping spree will be much more expensive if you have an evil (or low reputation party.)

In practise, if you play an evil party, you are forced to constantly manage your reputation. If it gets too high, your evil companions leave you and you lose your abilities. If it gets too low, you will be attacked on sight upon entering any settlement, and by some of the ingame NPCs, and the game becomes almost unplayable.

On the whole, randomly murdering people in the street will not work, u lose -10 reputation each time, and u'd hit 0 in no time... and then u'd be forced to buy ur reputation back up again just in order to use shops, inns etc... U can commit a murder every now and then, but certainly not regularly. A lot of the important NPC's in the game are actually very powerful, like Eliminster is lv29 and will crush even a fully tooled up endgame party with ease, even many of the shopkeepers are significantly stronger than you.

If u do kill an NPC significant to the plot, the game summons a 'Biff the Understudy' to deliver his lines, so I guess if u somehow slaughtered the entire population of Nashkel, u'd just end up with alot of Biffs around the place.