Skip to content

Let's boycott Apple.

Not sure if it's been brought up here before or if this belongs somewhere else, please direct me to the forum if available.

Vote with your wallet. That's one of the reason Microsoft threw out the xbox one's drm policies. Apple has chosen to delay resolving contractual agreements for too long. They are unreasonably ignoring the fans of this game.

Google didn't help me figure out WHY this is going on. However, I did notice an android release, (lol, I wonder if apple got mad about it?) Anyway, the development team has worked hard on this game, and it makes me cringe knowing they can't show us all the cool stuff they've worked up to.

Let's stop any and all apple purchases until they make time for Beamdog.

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Already on it! Since I... don't own a single Apple product.

Oh... can I still use iTunes? I only use it to listen to free podcasts so I'm not giving them any money...
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    Coutelier said:

Already on it! Since I... don't own a single Apple product.

Oh... can I still use iTunes? I only use it to listen to free podcasts so I'm not giving them any money...

It's absolutely fine from what I understand about them.

Here's a source:
    "Under the current system, a podcast content creator can make money from ads, but Apple gets nothing, even when it’s downloaded via the iTunes store."
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    What's going on with Apple? I haven't been keeping up with things.
    CaptRory said:

What's going on with Apple? I haven't been keeping up with things.

Neither Beamdog nor Apple is willing to talk about the contract, all that's been said really is that Beamdog was mad about it being pulled off the appstore and that the Android release was, as a result, delayed.

So.... No new info at all really.

We fans are victims here too. We won't get BG 2EE because it's also delayed as a result.
    Aha~ Well, you'd probably get more traction with a polite letter writing campaign. Snail Mail, not just email.
    CaptRory said:

Aha~ Well, you'd probably get more traction with a polite letter writing campaign. Snail Mail, not just email.

Money talks. If you want to write a letter, feel free to do so.
    I don't think the community here is large enough for a boycott to really get noticed. I don't know about you guys but I don't use Apple products to begin with. But if you can generate a couple sacks of mail it might get someone's attention.
    I know we're not the biggest community. But every cent counts. And I will not continue to support a corporation that ignores its consumers. I hope people on this site will do the same for the sake of Beamdog and BG2:EE .
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    Wait, is this because of the current legal/contractual stuff that Beamdog is dealing with? Because Apple has nothing to do with that.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Wait, is this because of the current legal/contractual stuff that Beamdog is dealing with? Because Apple has nothing to do with that.

Who is responsible for this? Atari is continuing to sell it on steam and PC. The appstore doesn't have it anymore. I assume there is a relationship between the two, but the contractual issues that seem to be stopping the game are kept airtight secret. If you've got some info, mind divulging it?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @sersafir - Apple has nothing to do with it. *Atari* (the holder of the Baldur's Gate series distribution rights) told Beamdog to remove BG:EE for sale from the iTunes Store and Beamdog's own site.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/atari-requested-baldurs-gate-ee-removal-from-ios-oster-says/
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    From the front page of this site:
    "We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues."

They themselves had it removed from the Apple store (along with the Beamdog store) at the request of a publishing partner. Basically all the retail avenues that they (Beamdog) were responsible for. The publishing partner in question was later revealed to be Atari. Atari was responsible for putting it on Steam, so they are still selling it there, as well as on the Atari website.
    I see that Atari removed it, but why are they selling it elsewhere [steam for instance]? I assume there's a dispute going on between the two. I don't believe Atari would just randomly remove it from the appstore without any reason behind it, especially considering their money situation.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    sersafir said:

I see that Atari removed it, but why are they selling it elsewhere [steam for instance]? I assume there's a dispute going on between the two. I don't believe Atari would just randomly remove it from the appstore without any reason behind it, especially considering their money situation.

Beamdog isn't selling it anywhere. Atari are the ones responsible for it being on steam. Apple does not enter into the picture here.
    I stand corrected.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited July 2013
    Honestly... I don't quite understand the hate that Apple always seems to get... I personally like Microsoft (specifically Windows OS) a bit more; but I still respect apple. Call me a neutral party in the great war. In any case they both seem to have positives and negatives in my opinion and I have often found the war over which is better and the passion with which people fight for their side to be a bit overdoing it... Not that this has much to do with the thread but it seems someone was a bit quick "point the sword and strike."

No offense meant of course...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    I'M WITH YOU!!!!

My post here was typed with a Macbook Air...crap...umm...nevermind? *backs away slowly*
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    Same people who complain about the "cost" of an Apple and how they can build uber tower whatever for $700 are often ones who drive a "luxury " car. I point why are you driving a BMW instead of a Ford Focus? Does the same thing. For some reason with cars (and many other things) it is ok, but computers . . . They don't see the connection. Not sure why computers are unique in this aspect.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Quartz said:

Society today is very "Ready ... fire ... aim!" Hahaha

Fixed that for you.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Been doing this since 1989.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Let's boycott everything and witness an apocalypse as societies fall. Serial.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Let's boycott everything and witness an apocalypse as societies fall. Serial.

If you want to make modern society fail, I think the quickest method would be getting the cheap labor from countries like China to go on strike... That should cause some decent losses on all the big companies, which in turn most likely will break the economy horribly.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    @Koyote
    Koyote said:

Quartz said:

Society today is very "Ready ... fire ... aim!" Hahaha

Fixed that for you.
    Umm yeah ... let's just turn a light-hearted joke into not so subtle social commentary.

Please don't go into music, okay?
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    @Quartz
    Alas, I need to learn how to inject more emoticons into my posts, else people might take me too seriously. Oh, and you shouldn't ever worry about me going into music...my kids have made it quite clear that I have no future in singing :-)
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I, for one, am taking my 2600 back to Sears and demanding a full refund.
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55
    sersafir said:

CaptRory said:

Money talks. If you want to write a letter, feel free to do so.
    Uh, you have to write a letter or they're not going to notice your boycott. We aren't a big group, it wouldn't otherwise be obvious.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    All I can think of when I see the title of this thread is the Doctor Who episode "Let's Kill Hitler."