Skip to content

BGII:EE 1.2.2030 (11-20-2013)

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Castorp said:

Ok, that's understandable.
    Can we expect the multiplayer patch in the next two weeks?

Depends on how simple the solutions (because there will doubtless need to be more than one) are, and how much other code work needs to be done. Baldur's Gate is primarily a single-player experience, so we have to make sure the single-player campaign is working solidly. That's not to say we don't care about multiplayer, but when you look at what the core experience of the game is, it's primarily designed to be a single-player game with a multiplayer component added in.

Gosh, I hope that came out more helpful than it sounded in my head. Multiplayer's on our to-do list, but it won't happen overnight.
    Oxva
  • CastorpCastorp Member Posts: 45
    Dee said:

it's primarily designed to be a single-player game with a multiplayer component added in.

The main campaign, definitely.
    The Black Pits are much more fun in multiplayer, though! They weren't designed with that aim in mind too?

Anyway, take your time. As long as it works in the end...

Just to clarify, the multiplayer component is an important one--and Black Pits is an example of one area where we'd really like it to work as smoothly as possible. But fixing multiplayer isn't just a matter of changing one line of code and the problem goes away; it's a series of tweaks and changes, each of which needs to be planned and tested. So the work will be on-going, but you might not see the results of that labor until it's done.

In the mean-time, you can rest easily knowing that any improvement to the single-player game is also an improvement to multiplayer.

And I'm going to stop talking now. Enjoy the patch, everybody!
    JuliusBorisov
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I note that Steam is supposed to get updated same day as Beamdog's download tool. Does this mean that Beamdog is now managing the Steam process?

I don't use Steam, I'm just very curious as to how this process seems to be getting such an improvement over and above the last patch and even the BG2EE release.
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2013
    I thought that Beamdog had confirmed that STR bonus for slings was intentional?
    Or is there supposed to be an STR damage bonus but not THAC0?
    Strength bonus to damage is intentional; THAC0 not so much.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I seem to still be getting the THAC0 bonus from Strength, fyi. Anyone else still getting this?
  • KaiDanKaiDan Member Posts: 14
    Good update, though I was hoping you would put some-kind of camera lock in; the game was designed to be viewed only so far.
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    Thanks guys, nice work, we all appreciate your dedication.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Thanks for the quick patch!
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    thanks for the patch:)
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    Jarrakul said:

I seem to still be getting the THAC0 bonus from Strength, fyi. Anyone else still getting this?

Probably not the case, but sometimes the simplest answer.... are you sure it's not the dex bonus you're seeing?

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Dee: So, what does the patch do to the mods I've installed? There are exactly two, SCS and Tweaks. Will this simply wipe all of that out?

Anyone else can answer this as well, of course.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited November 2013
    the patch will wipe out your override folder, it happened to me :( so make sure you backup your override folder and your mod files
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    @Dee , if I want to see which version of the game I have, where do I look? (The new Options menu is great, but the Selune/Shar graphic is obstructing the version number.)

I was playing around with NI and did some unwanted changes. So I erased the .status file in my /Data folder so as to redownload the changed files. It just so happens that you guys released a patch at that time. (Thanks for the patch!) The Checking files...Downloading... thing in the launcher showed, and then the Apply Update button never showed. Almost certainly the update got downloaded along with the changed files, so I shouldn't worry about it... But I'd like to make sure.

Thanks!
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2013
    Edit: I misread the patch notes.
  • bardezbardez Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2013
    @pekirt Check that screen from ToB or BP2
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2013
    @Jalily, thanks. @bardez, thanks, and will do when I get back from work, and update this post as to the result.

EDIT: v1.2.2030, i.e. the updated version. :) So, if you have a game that needs updating, and you erase the .status file, the launcher downloads the updated version.

Now, I'll go back to the wild mage effects list I was compiling.
    Post edited by pekirt on
  • AthrogateAthrogate Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I cannot download the update. It just says: Download Paused, Click to Resume. Nothing happens when I click. Is there a place I can download this patch manually? Appreciate any help.
    Kilivitz
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    I am also a bit confused. I downloaded the patch, and I suppose everything went well, but why is there no way to check your version from within the game? Shouldn't that be an obvious thing? Or if there is, do tell me where I can see the version number. It's not on any of the Options screens, for instance, or Credits.
  • AthrogateAthrogate Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    Athrogate said:

Hi,

I cannot download the update. It just says: Download Paused, Click to Resume. Nothing happens when I click. Is there a place I can download this patch manually? Appreciate any help.

I'm asking cause I reaaaaally want to download it, as I just got to the underdark and Dorn/Hexxat/Rasaad is looping their conversation. I had to encumber Dorn by putting on shield of Balduran and place him away from the rest and do the first map without him. Poor sod...
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    When I start the Beamdog launcher it stays stuck with the icon ''loading''... is it because of too many people trying to connect, or is it a problem on my side only?
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Awww, interface magic and special abilities icons still aren't blue, like in the original. That's not cool. At least now you can kinda tell when they're active.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    @Dee Would it be possible to add the update information and version number in the launcher and in the game itself (As it is in BG1EE)? My launcher is still announcing the beginning of pre-load as the latest news...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Athrogate @Altair @callimachus

Try deleting 783.beam and 783.status and running the launcher or client again.

@xzar_monty @callimachus

The version is displayed when you load a game and then visit Options. Load a ToB or TBP2 game to get a clear look at the number.
    Incidentally, we'll need to address the placement of that number, because you're right, it is a little hard to find.
  • TheEvilYouKnowTheEvilYouKnow Member Posts: 4
    So, your patch erased all of my saves. A week worth of progress gone. Thanks for that.
    @TheEvilYouKnow
    Were you using ShadowKeeper with a hard link to your saved games?
  • TheEvilYouKnowTheEvilYouKnow Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    I was using shadowkeeper. Didn't have any issues before when I patched BG:EE
    Then that's why your saves were deleted. When you create a hard link in the installation folder to your saved games, any changes made to that folder through the installation folder will also affect the saved games. That's what allows ShadowKeeper to work, but it also means that when you update your game, the hard-link will get deleted in the process. That's no fault of the updater; it's just how hard links work.

To avoid this in the future, use EE Keeper instead. You don't need to make hard links, it's a much sleeker program, and you won't end up losing your saves every time you update or reinstall your game.
This discussion has been closed.