Skip to content

Barad Ding's Eight Cats Quest: Bug with the kitties? - SOLVED

DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
I'm trying to do this quest, but something odd keeps happening: When I find one of the cats, I click the food on it to get it in my inventory, but... it only work for less than 1 second.
It says "The party has gained an item", with the cat mewing and all, and then the cat just re-appeared on the ground, mewing, as if I dropped it.

Consequently, I don't have the cat with me, and I wasted one food. I keep trying, but the same thing keeps happening.

I've lot of space for the cats, but to no avail. Am I the only one with this problem?
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Hmmm.. there is a 5% chance that a cat escapes the bag (inventory) every 2 turns.. so best is to get one, then go back to the camp (there the cat automatically runs back to her owner) and then you should get the next one.. etc.
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    Crap... then, either it's a bug or I'm very very VERY unlucky then... it keeps escaping just as soon as I get it. :(((
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I had the same thing happen. Try going back to the wild mage camp to see if somehow you have triggered bringing all the cats in already. When I walked back to the camp the mage responded as though I had brought him all the cats... quest complete. (fyi, I did not bring him a single cat though I used all the cat food with the same result as the OP) The only reason I tried going back was because I was out of cat food and needed more.
    Ardanis
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    It sounds like somehow the Hidden Refuge script is still running, even though you're in the Wild Forest area.

Solution: not required. If you have run into this bug, then you can complete the quest by capturing a cat eight times and then reporting to Barad. Cats themselves will remain in the Forest, but that's the only difference from the expected outcome.

Are you on Windows or Mac? Do you have a save with this bug?
    A silly question, but do you perchance have a party member active in the Refuge while you're hunting down the cats, e.g. via console MoveToArea() command?
  • AthiuenAthiuen Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2013
    I had this happen to me (where the cats would auto-exit my inventory) and the fix was simply to load the last auto-save (where you transition from the Camp to the Forest). Interestingly the cats when they exit my inventory, whether through this bug or normally, spawn by CHARNAME regardless of the person picking them up or the distance between the two people.
    DragonsFeather
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    Athiuen said:

I had this happen to me (where the cats would auto-exit my inventory) and the fix was simply to load the last auto-save (where you transition from the Camp to the Forest). Interestingly the cats when they exit my inventory, whether through this bug or normally, spawn by CHARNAME regardless of the person picking them up or the distance between the two people.

It worked! I actually load my last auto-save game (so, when you leave the camp) and this time, when I clicked on the kitty with the food, I did get him to stay (though I always rush directly back to the camp after each one, not wanting to try the 5% thing, lol.) It took quite some time to get them all, but all is well now.

I had the same thing happen. Try going back to the wild mage camp to see if somehow you have triggered bringing all the cats in already. When I walked back to the camp the mage responded as though I had brought him all the cats... quest complete. (fyi, I did not bring him a single cat though I used all the cat food with the same result as the OP) The only reason I tried going back was because I was out of cat food and needed more.

Ardanis said:

It sounds like somehow the Hidden Refuge script is still running, even though you're in the Wild Forest area.

Solution: not required. If you have run into this bug, then you can complete the quest by capturing a cat eight times and then reporting to Barad. Cats themselves will remain in the Forest, but that's the only difference from the expected outcome.

Are you on Windows or Mac? Do you have a save with this bug?
    A silly question, but do you perchance have a party member active in the Refuge while you're hunting down the cats, e.g. via console MoveToArea() command?

I tried going back to Barad directly, but nothing happened (quest wasn't considered completed). It looks like it is a known bug. I'll have to remember that when I do another run with my Bhallspawn.
    FI, I'm on Windows and the auto-save trick worked.

Thanks all of you for the tips, anyway. :) I'm a bit obsessed with cats (virtual or not), so it bugged me a lot that the quest wasn't working properly, lol.^^
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    You could simply Quick-Save after picking each cat (and after every few seconds) and Quick-Load whenever one escaped. This way i was able to return all of them in one go (however ding never gave dings to me as a reward).