Skip to content

NPC Guide to BG2EE

2»

Comments

• elminster said:

Yea I can't say I would ever give jan the robe of vecna. Unless I had no other mages (which given the number of mages in bg2 seems unlikely).

I've currently got the Robe of Vecna on Jan, but my other mage is Neera, who is much safer with the Hayes robe.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ok fair enough. I have a playthrough in ToB where my wild mage has the Robe of Vecna and Neera has Hayes Robe. Still, personally I think if Jan and Neera were the mages in my party I'd probably still stick the Robe of Vecna on her. Then again I do like chaos :D
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @elminster: Have you given any more thought to the possibility of making PDFs or Word documents of the guides, to share here?
    Ive thought about it more. For one thing I don't have access to Word at the moment so even coming up with a decent looking pdf file would be a pain (when portraits and table of contents are considered). But if anyone wants too just copy what I've written and make the file I'll gladly post them up on here.
    To help anyone interested in throwing it together in a pdf file I'll save you some trouble (with regard to portraits) and post the large portraits for BGEE and BG2EE on here. It just saves you time having to go through and get consistently sized portraits.
    BG2EE portraits
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @elminster I really like this guide a lot, and it helped me consider characters I've never used before (Cernd, Haer-Dalis) while also making me reconsider how I use other characters (Aerie, Jaheira)
    I like how you broke down the spells, which for me is the most helpful part. :) Thanks for taking the time to help us mere mortals

I would actually be super interested to see your opinions on how to beat certain enemies/deal with certain situations (not too specific to make it spoiler-y/not fun). Like how you deal with dragons or level draining enemies, for example.

Just in case you enjoy making these, have the time and motivation, and are looking for something new to do. :)
    Honestly writing these guides was a lot of work. The main goal of them was to try to get people to play NPC's they'd dismissed (sometimes because of the NPC's personality but mostly because of their particular play style). I've thought about writing another guide for dealing with specific enemies but for a variety of reasons its not something I'm actively seeking to do at the moment. I think now that spell descriptions are actually accurate its probably easier to craft a strategy to deal with certain enemies. Also when it comes to for instance Dragon's they can vary a lot in terms of what they are immune to and how their AI reacts.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    Dragons:
    Anomen- Casts Magic Resistance: Firkraag
    Quick save succesful.
    Anomen- Casts Harm.
    Anomen- Attacks Firkraag.
    Anomen- 18 + 4 = 22: Hit.
    Jan- Casts Magic Missile: Firkraag.
    Firkraag- Magic Resistance.
    Firkraag- Magic Resistance.
    Jan did 4 damage to Firkraag.
    Firkraag- Death.
    I figured I'd just mention that I'm in the process of updating the guide for version 1.3

There were a few changes (like fire elementals now having higher strength) that were worth noting. There are probably a few others as well :)
This discussion has been closed.