Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
Now with BG2:EE released and we all know about Hexxat at last it’s time to anticipate something new.

So I think the discussion about the “Adventure Y” is going to be the next hit.

There’ve been several threads on this forum about this topic but I will try to gather EVERY piece of information and update it when something new is known. I hope @TvrtkoSvrdlar and others who started topics about the Adventure Y in the past excuse me ;)

A little bit of history first.

Tweets by Trent Oster, 12 May 2012

Adventure X is going to be standalone. Keep your ears peeled for Adventure Y, which is intimately linked to the Bhallspawn storyline

Adventure X is a side adventure, while Adventure Y is an optional storyline piece in the Bhallspawn series

Tweets by Sam Hulick and Trent Oster, 23 May 2012

SH: Listening to the #BGEE Adventure Y main theme on repeat while doing paperwork. Never has something so mundane felt so heroic & adventurous.

TO: I do the same. It can become a liability when the #bgee Adventure Y theme is going hard and you are trying to do contracts.

Later PhillipDaigle tweeted that the Adventure Y can be set at or near Boareskyr Bridge, accidentally the place where Cyric killed Bhaal.

Dee in November 2012 said (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/142403/#Comment_142403) the "Adventure Y" hasn't been finished yet, and will likely be released post-ship.

Here (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/369710/#Comment_369710) is said the Adventure Y has been confirmed for after BGE2:EE (release). This post (9 October 2013) is promoted by LiamEsler.

Basically there were no news at all after that.

All of a sudden PhillipDaigle here on the 30th of November 2013(http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/418768/#Comment_418768) said something that can be interpreted as:

1) it’s wrong to think that the Adventure Y is planned for after BG2:EE, or
2) it’s wrong to think that the Adventure Y in not going to be released in the next patch, or
3) it’s wrong to think that the Adventure Y is set after BG2:EE.

We know elminster (a Beta Tester) (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/346026/#Comment_346026) said the Adventure Y will cost money although in the past Tanthalas (also a Beta Tester, Private Beta Moderator) (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/14040/#Comment_14040) had thought about the Adventure Y as a part of the new content for EE and not a DLC.

So, we know the Adventure Y is tied with the Bhaalspawn plot and has its own theme.

Taking into account those words about money and realizing the Adventure Y has not been definitely released before BG2:EE it seems reasonable to agree with the 3rd variant and say the Adventure Y is set somewhere before the story of the Bhaalspawn ends.

Moreover, I think it’s safe to conclude from PhillipDaigle’s post the Adventure Y is meant to be content for BG:EE, not BG2:EE.

There’s an idea that the Adventure Y takes place after Sarevok's defeat and shreds some light on those “circumstances much darker than anyone would have thought” under which the Bhaalspawn left for Amn. So this adventure would probably take place between the two games and end with the Bhaalspawn getting captured by Irenicus.

It’s interesting to take into account that TrentOster - after looking (6 September 2013) at a feature request of an interlude chapter that narrates the happenings between Sarevok's ending and the capture of the Bhaalspawn by Irenicus - said “Sounds kind of adventurey. Could be a fun concept.” (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/350159/#Comment_350159)

One can interpret “adventurey” as “adventure y”.

So, right now it's everything from what has been confirmed.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
jackjackFredjoEleutherosEudaemoniumIllustairQbertTsyrithartificial_sunlightAstroBryGuyFablewyndAristilliusmackosbadbromanceFlashburnStarflower2525booinyoureyes[Deleted User]KilivitzCrevsDaakQuartzAdulDexterPibaroRAM021lolienMoomintrollMoradinSelendisPekingduckmanEdviniam1SophronisbaRaistlin82Mortaelfireandsteel73Eadwyn_G8keeperStormvessel

Comments

• TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Let's get the ball rolling.

Bump!
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    Great summary!

I have a question: If adventure Y is set between the current games, won't it mess up the xp-scaling for BG2:EE? I remember the devs used the start of BG2:EE as an argument against raising the xp-cap in BG:EE.

How do you guys think they will solve that regarding adventure y?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    And if we can please keep the unfounded speculation to a minimum this time, that would be great. The previous Hexxat thread was ridiculous.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    shawne said:

And if we can please keep the unfounded speculation to a minimum this time, that would be great. The previous Hexxat thread was ridiculous.

But I'm almost certain we'll be visiting the demi-plane of dread (which has manifested in Krynnspace) via a lengthy and fleshed-out spelljammer campaign, I'm sure of it!

*puts on captains hat*
    The_New_Romance
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Personally I'm not against a speculation because when there're ideas (even crazy ones) some truth can be found. I enjoyed the previous thread a lot - it was fun and sometimes insightful in terms of d&d classes and races. If all discussions have only facts alone the forum would lose 80 percent of greatness.

Moreover, that discussion was not useless - we came close to foresee the special race for Hexxat and got many arguments about the positive sides of having a not neutral NPC and a pure thief. I'm sure that discussion was good. The whole werecapybara thing was so amusing;)

So I think it's great when anyone can suggest what he (she) sees possible or (and) fun.

In the same time I will try to focus on facts when posting updates.
    lolienkensai
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Yea FYI when I wrote that comment (back in August) I had only been a beta tester for a few weeks. I've now removed it. Thats all I'll say on the matter :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    But the unfounded speculation was what made the Hexxat thread *fun*.

Anyway, I reckon that Adventure Y might be set between the first and second games, but its tricky to tell for sure. Possibly with Irenicus' capture of you, but possibly just as an adventure that takes place prior to your capture. While it is implied that you were captured not that long after leaving Baldur's Gate there isn't any fixed time period, and it could easily be a few weeks or a month or two. I think its more likely to just be an adventure set between the games and not actually deal with your capture at all, but probably with you as a Bhaalspawn and what that means (since you visit the site your divine father died, perhaps searching for some kind of answers).

I do *not* think, as others have posited that it will somehow explain how you end up with the 'canon party'. I think this kind of thing (if you choose to not play with them) is best left to player imagination, and I think especially if it were paid DLC this kind of move could alienate a number of potential customers. I, for one, would not buy it if this were the case.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]Starflower2525booinyoureyes
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited December 2013

But the unfounded speculation was what made the Hexxat thread *fun*.

Anyway, I reckon that Adventure Y might be set between the first and second games, but its tricky to tell for sure. Possibly with Irenicus' capture of you, but possibly just as an adventure that takes place prior to your capture. While it is implied that you were captured not that long after leaving Baldur's Gate there isn't any fixed time period, and it could easily be a few weeks or a month or two. I think its more likely to just be an adventure set between the games and not actually deal with your capture at all, but probably with you as a Bhaalspawn and what that means (since you visit the site your divine father died, perhaps searching for some kind of answers).

In that case, between SoA and ToB I think would make more sense. No reason you couldn't have an interlude before returning to the elven city to talk to the heads and it would give access to all the NPC's (apart from one of course).

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The bridge is pretty far north of Amn, (but tnot that much North of BG) and remember it was meant to be part of BG1 originally.
    The_New_Romance
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I don't think distance is much of a problem. It's not really that far away by ship at least, and there are plenty of characters and beings with the power to transport you at least near where you want to go.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    While I am curious to see what this turned into, fundamental questions remain for me. Biggest is the XP limitation, as I do not see how we work around that. Since you can't take gear into BG2, you end up with essentially no reward (no xp, no gear).

That said, I had a realization: it can be tied to the main plot but not necessarily CHARNAME. Like I said, I find it interesting, but am not losing sleep over it, largely for the gear/xp question, which books down to (for me) 'what is the point?'
    kensai
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    edited December 2013
    Hm... My wild guess is that we have some time before we find out what it is :)

I don't think I buy into the "set between BG1 and BG2" thing. For one, I think the games are too close together to get a real adventure in. And it also seems like you'd have to play with the canon party and I can't see them forcing us to do that.

Maybe it will be using the EE NPCs (and/or some new ones?) to investigate something related to Bhaalspawn. Just because it's related doesn't necessarily mean it stars CN. Or maybe there's a new Bhaalspawn CN? :)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Pretty cool stuff. I like the "adventurey" comment being picked apart like that. If it turns out to be true, that would be some cool detective work.
    Aristillius
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Oh my.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2013
    *confused*
    Post edited by mch202 on
  • 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    please do an adventure with a beholder romance plot, and the ability to smoke weed tia
    ReadingRamboCrevsDaakQuartz
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    @1765 - Is that an innate power?
    CrevsDaakelminster

But some suspected that you shared the same lineage as Sarevok. You departed soon after, under circumstances much darker than anyone could have imagined.

Confirms this will be an epilogue to bg1 / prologue to bg2. This quote is from then opening video of bg2.
    JuliusBorisovXavioriaMessi
  • Or maybe @PhillipDaigle is reminding us of the time frame between games as a red herring...
    Kaigen said:

Or maybe @PhillipDaigle is reminding us of the time frame between games as a red herring...

Doubtful given the other evidence. But potentially. When I say "confirm" I mostly mean "solidified the theory" but not technically confirmed.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    Some other interesting tidbits from Trent Oster's Twitter. I wonder if these two tweets are linked?...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentOster/status/402617685478895617

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentOster/status/408737106086088705

I can see why Jennifer Hale would be expensive, given her resumé.
    JuliusBorisovelminsterLuciusDei
  • Given that Hale voiced Dynaheir, that gives weight to the theory that it will be a bridge featuring the canon party.

Alternately, they want to do new content for Mazzy ;)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Aw snap, Jennifer Hale. I wonder if she'll remember that she did VO work for BG all those years ago.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Oh, Jennifer Hale is one of my favorite voice actors, veeeeery interesting. :)
    CrevsDaak
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180

But some suspected that you shared the same lineage as Sarevok. You departed soon after, under circumstances much darker than anyone could have imagined.

*much darker than anyone would have believed.

If I wore glasses it would be at this point that I would adjust them and sniff dismissively.