Skip to content

PC and iPad cross platform multiplayer version difference

Hello! Not sure where to put this, I hope this will do.

I tried to start a multiplayer game with PC and iPad last night. I used TCP IP protocol and created a game on the PC. I used TCP IP protocol in the iPad and worked out that the top right blank button in the Multiplayer menu was "join game", even though it is not labelled (I guess this is a bug?).

Anyway, the issue is it started to connect then failed due to version mismatch, PC is 1.2 (Steam version), iPad is 1.2.2030. Is there anyway to match these versions? The Steam client thinks the PC version is upto date and I cant downgrade the iPad version.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    It is an inconvenience, but unfortunately there is nothing that can currently be done. They said some time back (via Twitter) that they were "harmonising the tech," so hopefully there will be better cross-platform version matching in the future.
  • grimtreegrimtree Member Posts: 3
    So there is currently no work around? Oh well. I wasn't sure if having the steam version meant I wasn't running the latest PC code, but if all PC versions are on 1.2 will just have to wait.

Thanks anyway!
    @grimtree, I think PC is currently on 1.2.2030, while iPad is on 1.2.2031. There is no workaround for this.
  • grimtreegrimtree Member Posts: 3
    Ok, well my PC version says its 1.2000, so its way out, but like I said its the steam version that gets its updates from steam. I wonder if steam is out of date.
    Oh. Are you talking about BG:EE or BG2:EE? I think BG:EE is still on 1.2.0 for PC. Either way, still no way to get around the version mismatch.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    BG:EE is 1.2000, iPad should be 1.2.2030.
  • TrasdTrasd Member Posts: 62
    Oh, it gets better! I cannot connect my two android tablets because they too report different versions.

This is a huge letdown as this is one of the main reasons I bought the game, yet again.

I'm so peeved right now, I don't even feel like playing.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @Trasd‌ ...have you tried updating them so that they're the same version?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    These issues will be resolved when the 1.3 patch is released.
  • TrasdTrasd Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

@Trasd‌ ...have you tried updating them so that they're the same version?

You cannot. There are three different versions (I believe it is three) that are dependent upon your particular machine. They all install from the same Market entry.
    Dee said:

These issues will be resolved when the 1.3 patch is released.

That is good to know. I'm trying to get my wife interested in RPGs and BGEE on her new tablet, where she can run with me, may just do it. Thanks for the info!

No matter what, I am not sorry I bought BG1 again and I think I prefer playing it more on my tablet than my PC. I also bought all the extra content immediately after getting the game, sight unseen (I didn't even know what the extra toons did), just to support the developer. Why? Besides showing my appreciation for doing a great job, I want BGEE2 for android!

I think I'm one of the few who didn't play the games on my PC when they came out (I wasn't even aware of their existence), only discovering them about a year ago, though I had heard of them a few years back. I'm almost glad as, like I said, I love playing BGEE on my tablet. I began playing the Infinity games with GemRB and BG2, but that engine is still not ready and I couldn't wait.

ronaldo