Skip to content

The Tale of the Totemic Druid

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Inspired by this tread and thanks to @bbear here I’m going to tell a story about Karasu no Yoru, a totemic druid raised in the Candlekeep and destined to become a major figure in the history of the Sword Coast.

The name of the character is in Japanese and means his name actually is Yoru (night) and he comes from the Karasu (crow) clan known for shamans and spirits.

Here's the character sheet at the start of the game.

The main incentive is to find out what it takes to successfully solo the whole game (from the start of BG:EE to the end of BG2:EE) with the totemic druid. There’s a discussion about which class is the hardest for a solo run in that thread and it seems many people vote for a druid. So I’ve decided to test it and will gladly write about it for those who are interested in the concept.

I’m playing on the Core difficulty and here’s my weiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4130 // Move NPCs to more convenient locations: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v28
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v28

I consider myself an experienced player, had different playthroughs in the past but have never tried the totemic druid. This kit seems interesting to me because it shows the true, from my point of view, nature of a druid – a summoner. In the past I played as an Avenger and liked it much but the Avenger feels more like a druid/mage, while a Shapeshifter obviously feels more like a fighter/druid. A vanilla druid is fine as well but I just like using a kit and not a vanilla version (if it’s not a dual- or multi-class). So, the totemic druid it is.

I understand the problems that can arise because of the SCS but I hope that my knowledge of the game will help to overcome these difficulties. I seriously think that with some meta-gaming even the power of SCS can be not so dangerous. I think than so bad (yeah) thing as the meta-gaming needs serious countermeasures such as not OP class, not min-maxed stats, smarter AI and so on.

As a rule, I try to role-play my character and his party as much as I can but this time it will be different. And I’m so excited – it’s a challenge, and a good one. I’ll try to play a no-reload run with an option for minimal reloads if the character will be killed but I will feel myself attached to it. Also, your reactions, ideas and just a general discussion is much appreciated ;)))
Post edited by Lemernis on
booinyoureyesjackjackbbearAristilliusCrevsDaakMetallomanKidCarnivalBelgarathMTHZaknafeinBaenreNonnahswriterSkaffenFredjoBlackravenJameschickenhedDemonoid_LimewireHugues_de_PayensRavenslightlolienArdulStarflower2525MusignyDanacmSxphxrxthMirageKramerTheWeirdmashedtatersMush_Mush

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    Glad to see I'm not the only person having issues with spoilers! None of them given an option to open for me.
    Flashburnlolien
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but they worked for me up until I posted this.
    Edit: still working, and I should probably mention that I'm using the mobile site on my iPhone.
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeah, it's very wierd: on my tablet (no matter if logged in or not) I can see the spoilers but on my PC I'm not able to see them even taking into account I've obviously posted here... @Dee ? Can you help here? Maybe there has been some change in the forum software lately?

Nevertheless, I'm happy you've all been able to see spoilers one way or another;)
    jackjacklolien
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    totemic druid is one of my favourite classes i look forward to following your progress
    booinyoureyeslolien
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i can see you having little problem with bgee until maybe sarevok, but I think you'll struggle in bg2ee, looking forward to your progress!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2014
    Posting to try open the spoiler tags; this looks pretty interesting since I rarely ever use druids in general.

Edit: Wow, this is really weird. Before posting, I could only see the spoiler bar, but not even the "show" button. Now it all works. O.o
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited February 2014
    So this thread doesn't get too off topic you can post about the spoiler issue here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30548/spoiler-bar-lacks-show-button?new=1
    jackjackJuliusBorisovAristilliuslolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited February 2014
    Posting in thread to see if it opens the spoilers.

Edit: It worked. This is really weird.

Edit #2: After signing off and returning later in the afternoon, they're all broken again. That means I would have to post a dummy message every time I want to look at any updates. I really hope Beamdog fixes this problem soon - it's occurring everywhere, not just in this thread.

Edit #3: After I posted Edit #2, the "show spoiler buttons" came back - temporarily, I would guess. At least I can keep doing a string of edits in this post rather than making a new post every time.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited February 2014
    I'm actually doing a solo shapeshifter run at the moment. Access to stuff like the greater variety of darts in BGEE compared to the original I think has really helped druids.
    CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Sugoi yo! Kono nimu wa honto-ni omoshiroi da yo. Tabun, Durlags-Tower ni iku tsumori desu ka? Ganbatte ne!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2014
    @bengoshi in your thread I moved the contents of the spoiler to place the text contained within (i.e., HTML code for the image links) immediately adjacent to the code for the tags, and I'm now seeing the "show" buttons. You had a line space separating the image link codes from the spoiler tags.

Edit: Oh well, it only worked temporarily. After leaving the thread and returning it's broken again.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • munchy01munchy01 Member Posts: 2
    Posting to see the spoilers. Keep updating, if you can - this is interesting. Thanks.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I've thought of playing a totemic druid, so this is super-interesting! Keep it up!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Lemernis said:

@bengoshi in your thread I moved the contents of the spoiler to place the text contained within (i.e., HTML code for the image links) immediately adjacent to the code for the tags, and I'm now seeing the "show" buttons. You had a line space separating the image link codes from the spoiler tags.

Edit: Oh well, it only worked temporarily. After leaving the thread and returning it's broken again.

I think it's working perfectly: it's making people post :)

jackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Despite my animosity againts solo runs, this seems pretty fun thus far. However I have one concern - the summons stop improving past level 10, which reduced them into cannon fodder in later parts of SoA. Aren't you afraid that this will kill the fun?
    lolien
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Thank you for your explanation, this seems very interesting! I'll keep tracking this topic.
    elminsterCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    the spirit bears can be really frustrating at times though as they're so slow they tend to just waddle after whatever's panicked without ever being able to hit it I mostly use them on things that are immune to fear or as a form of crowd control
    elminsterJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyeslolien
    Freaking awesome! nihongo no hanasu nakama wa yokatta desu :)

You are doing a fantastic job of demonstrating the power of the totemic druid. I am looking forward to a report on your battle with Daveorn. That'll be a tricky one with all the traps and his constant dimension doors.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien

Freaking awesome! nihongo no hanasu nakama wa yokatta desu :)

You are doing a fantastic job of demonstrating the power of the totemic druid. I am looking forward to a report on your battle with Daveorn. That'll be a tricky one with all the traps and his constant dimension doors.

By the time he gets there he probably will be level 9 (access to insect plague). I'm soloing a shapeshifter and I'm at about 60,000xp after having just left the Nashkel Mines (I explored most of the areas around nashkel before I entered them but I still have a number to do).
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyeslolien
    Yea the battle horror's will be difficult but the easiest way to kill them would probably be a wand of the heavens (you can get one in Ulgoth's Beard) with summons distracting it. They have no resistances (just a killer blade, good ac, and 3 APR) and they each have 58 health and pretty average saving throws.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster Battle Horrors just 100% missile resistance, and some have elemental resistances but this isn't the case (IIRC they have electricity resistance too...).
    JuliusBorisovlolien