Skip to content

Weird UI scaling issues (Windows 8)

Hello,

I have just installed the BG:EE on my MacBook Pro running Windows 8.1 (Intel Iris Pro5200).
The Notebook has a nice Retina display with a very high native resolution. However, I'm not sure if this works well with Baldurs Gate:

1) The UI scaling/proportions are all over the place. While the side- and lower UI-bars are all low-resolution and blurry, the mouse courser and character-tooltips are too tiny and broken:

2) On the other hand, If I disable the UI-Scaling from the Options Menu, the UI elements become too tiny and the zoom-in becomes too limited:

Anyone got the same problem? Can I somehow change the UI-scaling manually to a comfortable level?

Thank you and kind regards,
VikingR

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014
    How is that you have a 2880x1800 resolution on a MacBook pro? It's a 17' right?
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    There was an issue noted noted on Mac (but not on Windows) at 2880x1800. It was logged as issue #7339, though I'm not sure it's the same. That's to do with fullscreen. When that gets fixed, better support for that resolution should also be included. :-)

To answer your question: currently, there is probably not going to be a comfortable level.

If I may, though—call me confused and genuinely curious—why would you pay for a Mac (they're typically very expensive) only to put Windows 8 on it?
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    @CrevsDaak‌
    It's a 15" MacBook. I've just recently found out that Windows 8.1 - at the 2880x1800 resolution - upscales the UI-elements so that they do not become tiny/illegible. It is really weird.
    If I lower the resolution - everything becomes blurry.

@Troodon80‌
    Thank you for your answer. Guess I will have to wait a bit then.

And to answer your question - yes, it is indeed a weird practice by my employer. Buy MacBook - Buy Windows 8.1 License - Buy Office 2013 License - Deinstall MacOS and install Windows + Office - Use Office for everyday work. Guess they have some cash to burn.