Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• howmanyhourshowmanyhours Member Posts: 23
    @joluv and @bengoshi - thanks for the reply. I guess I will just have to stick with using Keldorn to deal with liches and their super annoying spell immunities.
    bengoshi said:

@howmanyhours (in a non-SCS game) The More consistent Breach spell component from the SCS mod removes both features: Breach will bounce off Spell Turning (etc.), but it will effect even those creatures immune to "normal" 5th level spells, including liches and rakshasa. You need the version 30 of this mod in order for this component to work normally.

^This is also very interesting to know as I was wondering (before I got my hands on plenty of wands of spell striking) if I should be stripping spell protections away before going in with the Breach spell. It's so hard to tell (at least for me) what spell is having what effect when you've got so many moving parts, all moving at full pelt.
    JuliusBorisovjoluvlolien
    While I'm still here, I may as well ask another random question to which I haven't been able to find an answer via the magical scrying device known as Google.

There seem to be two types of scroll for the Stoneskin spell that you can buy - but the only difference between the two types of scroll is that one is usually quite a bit more expensive than the other.

It seems like they are supposed to be different given the pricing and the fact that they don't stack but the descriptions are pretty identical.

So, is this just a well known bug or am I missing something?
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Actually, I haven't encountered this, @howmanyhours . This thread from 2001 shows the same question as yours: http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53788

Just as the last poster in that thread, I would say that there're 2 scrolls:

Stoneskin (a wizard spell)
    Iron Skins (a druid spell)

Also, different merchants have different prices on the goods they sell.

If your situation is different, then post a screenshot.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Bengoshi: In EE v. 1.3, Sister Garlena sells two different Stoneskin scrolls that have different prices and don't stack.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @bengoshi - yeah, I saw that thread but it doesn't quite give an answer as both scrolls are definitely for the Stoneskin spell. Unfortunately I play on the iPad so not quite sure how to post up a screenshot.

@joluv - yep, but I've encountered it at (I think) pretty much any vendor who sells magical scrolls and not just at Watcher's Keep.

Aw - I'm suspecting now that it's just a bug of sorts.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited April 2015
    Both scrolls are basically the same. They have slightly different usage requirements which don't make any difference in the end though. What is different is the price. You can get one scroll as a bargain for 500 gold while the other one costs 1200 gold. I'd guess one version is a leftover from BG1 (where only the cheaper one is available).
    lolienJuliusBorisovjoluv
    argent77 said:

Both scrolls are basically the same. They have slightly different usage requirements which don't make any difference in the end though. What is different is the price. You can get one scroll as a bargain for 500 gold while the other one costs 1200 gold. I'd guess one version is a leftover from BG1 (where only the cheaper one is available).

Case closed!
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    i've got BP-Ascension and SCS installed, doing the final battles in the Throne of Bhaal. When you click a pool after defeating the demons, aren't all your spells meant to be re-memorised as if you'd rested? My party is healed and I gain the special ability but no spell restoration. As you can't rest in that area, the only thing I can do to get my spells back is install the "Rest Anywhere" cheat from the Tweak Pack and then start all over again from a saved game before I enter that area. I think this is the one major bug with BP-Ascension in BG2EE.
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    I fixed it :) Will be posting the fixes as soon as I've finished this game.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Is it ever stated what kind of demon Ur-Gothoz is? Glabrezu? Tanar'ri? etc. etc.?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Elrandir The game refers to Ur-Gothoz as a Glabrezu but they've used the Cornugon sprite for it.
    Elrandirlolien
  • superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
    Is there a thread on this site where people who are currently doing playthroughs of BG2 can just randomly talk about what they're experiencing or something? Like a big general thread where people post all the random stuff they want to comment about in the game?
    @superluccix Well, there's the activity page. It's not the best for what you're talking about, but it's about as close as you're likely to get. Unless you make such a thread. =p
    lolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Is there a thread on this site where people who are currently doing playthroughs of BG2 can just randomly talk about what they're experiencing or something? Like a big general thread where people post all the random stuff they want to comment about in the game?

There is a challenges and playthroughs section here

http://forums.beamdog.com/categories/challenges-and-playthroughs

so if you want you can make a thread there about your experiences/things you want to comment about.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    ^^ Thanks
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Are there any plans to tie all versions of Baldur's Gate together nicely? I was hoping with the Enhanced Editions they would all be uniform and flow together in a seamless fashion. What really hit me was when I moved from Baldur's Gate 1 into 2 and suddenly my character had a different voice because the voice set used in 1 was not in 2... kinda jarring in a way.

It makes sense right or is there some reason it wasn't done? With Siege of Dragonspear, is that the overall plan once it releases, to tie the games together?
    Vyrulisse said:

Are there any plans to tie all versions of Baldur's Gate together nicely? I was hoping with the Enhanced Editions they would all be uniform and flow together in a seamless fashion. What really hit me was when I moved from Baldur's Gate 1 into 2 and suddenly my character had a different voice because the voice set used in 1 was not in 2... kinda jarring in a way.

It makes sense right or is there some reason it wasn't done? With Siege of Dragonspear, is that the overall plan once it releases, to tie the games together?

I'm afraid they won't be able to do that due to various types of red tape (bureaucracy, am I right?) but who knows? As they acquire more rights to the franchise and various parts within it, they may be allowed to do things like put all the sound sets in each game. I know I'd love that, but time will tell.

Now, all this is speculation based on things I've heard and my own assumptions, so assume nothing I say is correct and that nothing I say is from the mouth of the developers, or is at least not current information from the mouth of the developers.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    edited August 2015
    Are there 1.4 patches planned for BG1ee and BG2ee, before the release of the new expansion?

I think I read something about it but Im not seeing 'Road to 1.4' subforums.

More specifically, has the team said "there will be a patch 1.4" or is it just speculated there might be one, or have they even said clearly that they're already working on it?
    Vyrulisse
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    See around 25:43 in the video

AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovlolien
    I have several questions for the masters:)

During my solo totemic druid run I came across a chance to buy Gargoyle Boots that give the wearer the ability to cast Stoneskin twice per day with 2 skins.

I wonder if Stoneskin from these boots stack with Ironskins that my druid can cast? The UI can show that my druid is under the effect of only Stoneskin if he uses the Boots first.

So, am I right in thinking that Ironskins and Stoneskin don't stack with themselves?

Another question is how do totemic druid's animal summons hit? It's clear they hit as if they have magical weapons, but which particular?

Am I right in thinking that Spirit Animals, as of level 10, hit as +4, as it's the case with Fire elementals and Earth elementals?
    lolien
    I just picked up a Frostreaver +3 battleaxe. Are there any characters in this game who have a proficiency in axes? It seems like a strong weapon since its +3, but I dont know if anybody who I currently have would want to use it.

(Me blackguard, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie, Nalia)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

I just picked up a Frostreaver +3 battleaxe. Are there any characters in this game who have a proficiency in axes? It seems like a strong weapon since its +3, but I dont know if anybody who I currently have would want to use it.

(Me blackguard, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie, Nalia)

Korgan Bloodaxe - Badass Chaotic Evil Dwarf Berserker - Grand Master of Axes

Can be found lurking in The Copper Coronet.
    lolienJuliusBorisovelminster
    bengoshi said:

I have several questions for the masters:)

I still have those questions for the masters ;)
    edited September 2015
    Question about stats vs weapon proficiency.

Take Hexxat for example. She has 20 Dex but no proficiency in bows.

But then Nalia who has 18 Dex and has a 1 star for Shortbow.

So my question is basically this. Whats more important for dealing damage/hitting the target. Stats or weapon proficiency?

And whatever 1 it is, how much of the other would you need in order for it to be better than it?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Question about stats vs weapon proficiency.

Take Hexxat for example. She has 20 Dex but no proficiency in bows.

But then Nalia who has 18 Dex and has a 1 star for Shortbow.

So my question is basically this. Whats more important for dealing damage/hitting the target. Stats or weapon proficiency?

And whatever 1 it is, how much of the other would you need in order for it to be better than it?

@superluccix Off the top of my head. It depends on the stat difference, at hexxats level of dexterity she's probably much better than nalia but between 7 and 14 dexterity there's very little change. If you haven't maxed out a stat, weapon proficiency will be much more important. Once you get to 15 in a stat you start to see a tangible increase in reward for putting points into a stat.

What I'm trying to say without waffling is that proficiency is better until you're getting up to and past 18 in a stat which starts to give a massive increase in effectiveness. Realistically you'll be able to be at least proficient with hexxat as you'll probably get another proficiency point before long. If you're debating who to give a bow to It doesn't matter too much as there are a few nice shortbows in the game so whoever doesn't get the first will get the second fairly soon.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    How much of penalty you receive (for no proficiency) depends on what class the character is:

Warriors (Fighter/Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian/Monk) get -2 to hit and to damage
    Priests and Rogues (Cleric/Druid/Thief/Bard) get -3
    Mages and Sorcerers get -5

In the example above, both Nalia and Hexxat count as thieves:

Nalia's 18 Dex gives her +2 to hit, and as she's proficient, receives no penalties.

Hexxat's 20 Dex gives her +3 to hit, but is not proficient, so she will receive -3 to hit and -3 to damage. So she'll only hit at her base ThAC0 and do less damage.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    Ok sweet thanks. (Can't believe how fast and informative all these responses are)
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    Hexxat is actually a great candidate for throwing daggers, as her 20 strength applies extra damage to thrown weapons... she'll get +3 to hit from her Dexterity, and +8 to damage from her Strength!

There's a +2 returning dagger that can be snapped up quite early on if you know where to look...
    JuliusBorisov
    20 DEX gives +3 Missile attack adjustment, i.e. your THAC0 with ranged weapons becomes better at 3 points.

18 DEX gives +2 Missile attack adjustment, so the difference in THAC0 with ranged weapons is only 1 point if compared to 20 DEX.

If you equip a character with a weapon with which he or she is not proficient, a penalty to hit and damage rolls will apply. This penalty may vary depending on the character’s class:
    Fighters, Rangers, Paladins, Monks, and Barbarians receive a -2 penalty.
    Clerics, Druids, Thieves, and Bards receive a -3 penalty.
    Mages and Sorcerers receive a -5 penalty

So, an unproficient thief gets a -3 penalty to THAC0, this is true for both ranged and melee weapons. 1 pip in proficiencies take away the penalty but don't grant any bonuses.

This way, unproficient HEXXAT with 20 DEX gets 0 bonus to THAC0, while Nalia actually gets +1 bonus to THAC0 with a short bow.

I advice to check the manual, @superluccix , it's very helpful: http://cdn.baldursgate.com/files/baldurs-gate-mastering-melee-magic.pdf

Don't forget that a character can get additional pips as he or she levels up, so a character with a higher DEX finally will be more effective with a ranged weapon.

As for melee weapons, it could be another story.

For example, 18/00 STR gives +3 bonus to hit and +6 bonus to damage. Also, if it's a fighter, the penalty for being unproficient is only -2. This way, a fighter with 18/00 STR and no proficiencies is better than a fighter with 18/01–50 STR (+1 bonus to hit and +3 bonus to damage) and pne proficiency because while their bonuses to hit are equel, the fighter with 18/00 STR deals more damage.

In each case you'd better check tables: Physical Ability Scores and Proficiencies.

As for Nalia vs Hexxat debate, don't forget Nalia is a mage and thus can cast spells to inflict a lot more damage to your enemies than Hexxat.
    lolienwubble
    edited September 2015
    ^ Yeah, the main reason I was thinking about what ranged weapon to give to Nalia was because when it comes to the minor enemy mobs in this game, I generally dont bother with spells, unless its one of the harder encounters.

^^ Was wondering if I would ever have a use for throwing weapons. Just never knew if an item which requires just itself to be thrown was better than a bow and arrow, or a crossbow and bolt, since it requires 2 items.

Edit: Not sure if this is a bug I ran into, but Im doing Korgans book quest right now, and I just found the tomb, but its looted already. I googled online and it said we were supposed to have a dialogue option right now, but it hasnt shown up for me