Skip to content

What do you think would be a fair price for Siege of Dragonspear?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Honestly if it has the same amount of content (or greater) than TOTSC I'd probably pay between 15 to 20. I have to figure that ToTSC cost $20 - $30 when it was released (I recall that being the standard at the time for expansion packs). I never actually bought ToTSC before GoG.com re-released the series, so that is just a guess on my part.

I would't be surprised though if they did what they did with BG2EE and IWDEE as far as pricing goes. Android users can buy the game for say $7.49 while PC/Mac users can buy the game for $15.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    I wonder if we get clairvoyance badges if we correctly guess the price the game ends up selling for :)
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Hopefully this is a 20 to 30 hour plus game. *fingers crossed*
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    I feel like $20 or so is more than fair for a new standalone Baldur's Gate game. I will gladly pay more!
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    10$ is a fair prize for an expansion.
    I will defintely buy it!
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    With an update as to word count (more than the BG2:EE expansion content, less than IWD) I am more confident this game will have a significant amount of play time. Of course, replay value is where the real "bang for your buck" comes in. The plot will probably be more linear than modular, although I would be pleasantly surprised if that was not the case. I'm leaning towards $20 as a target value now, although $30 could be reasonable depending on those factors like replay value.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Even Phillip Daigle voted for $9-$10, lol.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Can I pay with my soul? Although you might have to wait since I think some wizard guy took. Phfessh what a jerk huh?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Free
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    The game is not released, its current fair price is 0.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    At the moment it's like an unopened Christmas present - you can see how big it is and feel how heavy it is but it could still be either a very expensive and well wrapped wristwatch or a pair of thick bed socks.

I would pay a lot, sight unseen, for an expansion that genuinely links BG1 & 2 (i.e. exportable from 1 and into 2) but if it's completely stand alone (like the Black Pits which have only a nominal connection to BG) I probably wouldn't bother as there are plenty of other things I can spend my money on.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    Is #AdventureY a 'tack-on' to Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast Enhanced Edition or is it an Intermediate Stand Alone Game In-between Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal Enhanced Edition?
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    elminster said:

I wonder if we get clairvoyance badges if we correctly guess the price the game ends up selling for :)

Do I get something special if the dream that I had about the website layout and the price was true? C'mon that would be pretty cool for a dream to correct about the future.

Here is my post about my dream: (It was posted of the 24th of April 2015)
    [Spoiler]

I have just remembered that I have had a dream about vising a finished: http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/ and it was like tan and brown with white and had grey or stone or maybe navy blue and some type of dark area somewhere also it had big text boxes and concept art / 'scene art' with some type of grand sales pitch type thing to the left, or right? I cannot remember it was like 20 or 17 dollars. Possibly Red or off-Red buttons too?. There was some-type of narrated Video too, I cannot fully remember; anyway I wish to say this for sometimes the 'unthinkable' happens and I dream up stuff that is about to happen (but it rarely happens). Anyway it was a pretty cool website non the less, dream or not.

Hey what is the predicted price that they want for Adventure Y @elminster ?

[/Spoiler]
    Also I will Predict that "Adventure Y" will be a Standalone game to be titled: Baldur's Gate: The Siege of Dragonspear / Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. While Also being around ~17 dollars for the Personal Computer model (give or take 3 dollars).
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Depending on the size, $10-15, though I'd raise an eyebrow at an expansion that costs more than the base game (even though it IS all new content and not a direct port). No options for all those ranges (critique: the ranges are too specific, I personally would have done $3-5 intervals), so I'll abstain from voting.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I didnt know what to choose. 20 doll hairs sounds fine for a standalone expansion. Although i don't know much about the DLC price market as i dont buy them often. (I tend to buy complete editions of games that have all of the DLC after a year of release)
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52

Depending on the size, $10-15, though I'd raise an eyebrow at an expansion that costs more than the base game (even though it IS all new content and not a direct port). No options for all those ranges (critique: the ranges are too specific, I personally would have done $3-5 intervals), so I'll abstain from voting.

Probably will be $15-ish. Maybe $20 due to new content. It's been so long, I forget how much I paid for TotSC way back in the day.

If it is possible though, I'd dearly love for Beamdog to find a way to flesh out the game more and fit it into a nice and tidy $30 price point niche as a standalone product. That'd be an ideal outcome, both for simplifying the process of buying Adventure-Y for new players, and because that'd mean a little more content than a mere Tales of the Sword Coast, or Throne of Bhaal. (and who doesn't love more content?)

Which were both fun expansions, but let's be honest, Adventure-Y is an expansion to a game from 1998 -- so while EE has revived some interest in the series, it might be a stronger overall approach to shoot for standalone.

Baldur's Gate: The Siege of Dragonspear would have a decent ring to it. But I'm pretty sure at this point, they've already decided on xpack release for later this year.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Awong124 said:

Even Phillip Daigle voted for $9-$10, lol.

A nice catch, @Awong124 . It's encouraging to see not all the Devs vote for the maximum price.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It should be free for everyone who has pre-ordered all EE games so far. >.>
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2015
    Ignore my vote, as it is irrelevant to my actual thoughts. I'd pay around $2 per hour of main-story content I think (usually it's less per hour, but for Beamdog I make special deal).
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I said $10ish. If BG/BG2 go for around $20 (the EE's), an add-on should be around half that, right? Granted, this is all original content, whereas the EE's were not. Not sure if this is technically more work or not. Either way, I will probably pay whatever Beamdog slaps on the sticker price. I'm a sucker.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Now when we have an information from http://www.gamestar.de that Siege of Dragonspear will cost around $20, I feel that I need to comment about it here.

At the time this thread was created (November, 2014), we didn't know as much as we do now about Siege of Dragonspear.

The things we know make me think that the expansion for BGEE will be a lot larger than I expected. It will include many voices of original voice over actors and 4 new NPCs look already promising if I believe Chris Avellone. Even Beamdog themselves say that this project became much bigger than they could see back in 2012.

So, although I did vote for 9-10 USD as a fair price for the Adventure Y, after the announcement and all the details we managed to get about Siege of Dragonspear, I think that the price of 20 USD is fair. BGEE costs 19.99 USD and to me, the same price for such an expansion is exactly what is needed.
  • Starflower2525Starflower2525 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2015
    I don't really mind how much it will cost, I will by it at any price.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I am fine with 19 usd
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    bengoshi said:

The things we know make me think that the expansion for BGEE will be a lot larger than I expected.

First, let me diverge from some of the psychological effects active on this thread.
    Expensive does not mean better. No need to expect or call for a high price, retrospectively it has no effect on a game expansion that remains largely unkown.

You are very knowledgeable about the game, perhaps you can confirm the following. I read somewhere it was estimated to add 25 hours of gameplay. If true, that does not seem huge... On the other hand there seems to be many new areas, that's difficult to evaluate.
    Voices yes and that's great (no irony), but I bet this is available if you play in English.
    Worse: how many languages/translations are available? I play the game in English but from a general perspective I hope they do not plan to release an expansion in English on a game, BGEE, that benefits from several translations (in BG2EE and 20 months after the release of the enhanced edition, only 3 languages are available - compared with the original game it's not an enhancement, not yet).
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I suppose it does become expensive enough to be off-putting for people who haven't bought BGEE yet ($40). Although I suspect the EE will be reduced about the time SoD is released, or there will be an option to buy both for $25, which seems reasonable.
    @Musigny Being a non-native English speaker, I enjoy the game in English. I enjoy reading and hearing voices. But I understand your concerns.

So far, the only official word on translations is that they'll try to do it but when - they still can't say.

As for the 25h-long gameplay, we have an estimation of "bigger than expansions for both vanilla games" in the same time, plus a mention of more than 70 areas. I'm almost sure that I'll go through SoD with at least 2 different parties, and will try to figure out everything I can find there, all the easter eggs etc. This is my chance to play a BG game without knowing anything. So for me, it would be more than 25h-long play, that's for sure.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    @musigny @bengoshi
    Didn't they say that they where in talks with foreign publishers?
    Either way, I'm pretty sure their will be translation projects once the game is released...

Fun Fact: I'm not a native speaker myself and enjoy Fantasy (and Sci-Fi) games/books/comics in english,
    but when I tried to read some good ones in my native language... I stopepd, I just can't stomach it anymore.
    I tried to play DA:I in german and after two spoken sentences i had to switch back to english because it
    sounded weird & awful oO That was rather weird...
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    If I remember correctly, the 25hr game play time is for the "critical path" only and not counting the side quests. Seeing as I am a completionist I expect to get much more than that in my first play through.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am not really concerned about the price
    expansion packs for other games cost $20 or more