Skip to content

Portraits for Baldur's Gate from Dragon Age: Inquisition

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
You all possibly know my love for portraits that can be used in BG (and IWD).

Recently, I've been quite sucked into Dragon Age: Inquisition. There can be many opinions on whether that game is good or bad but I think that the artwork and the characters' design in DAI are top notch.

Here I present you the portrats of DAI companions in the suitable format for BG (210x330 pixels, 24-bit BMP)

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I LOVE this!
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    edited January 2015
    My mind instantly went to what fun it would be to replace all my party members with portraits that might kind of match their personalities from these. Would it be at all possible to include portraits from the DA:I advisers as well?

Sorry, I should have made that one post, but I got excited. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I will make portraits for advisers in the nearest future. I also plan to make portraits based on the tarot cards so that everyone wishing to make a stylized party in BG could do it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Why hello there, musta- I mean Dorian. Fancy meeting you here.

This is awesome. Now I'm trying to figure out what class they'd all be in BG terms.

Blackwall: Fighter, maybe dwarven defender, in spite of not being a dwarf?
    Sera: Archer or swashbuckler?
    Iron Bull: Barbarian
    Cassandra: Inquisitor
    Vivienne: Mage? Fighter/mage?
    Varric: Bounty Hunter
    Dorian: Necromancer
    Solas: Sorcerer?
    Cole: Shadowdancer
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Are there oozes in this game? Or slimes? Maybe jellies? How about puddings? I'd also settle for moulds or similar amorphous individual portraits.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    Meh.. Too flashy, not enough character. Also not a huge fan of the color schemes.

But thanks for posting them anyway. I am sure a lot of people will appreciate it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Wow, I did not expect the art of such a recent game to be so bad :( Many of the original IWD portraits are kinda better than that...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited January 2015

Wow, I did not expect the art of such a recent game to be so bad :( Many of the original IWD portraits are kinda better than that...

Please, let's not go into this. In terms of art (any art) there can never be one point of view and I think the tastes differ. What some people absolutely love, others don't find uninteresting at all. Each artist has her own style and one cannot say if this or that style is better or worse. It's just different.

So, here're the portraits for the advisors: Leliana, Josephine and Cullen:

imageimageimage
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Jarrakul said:

Neither fit. Elf fighter/thief.
    edited January 2015

That's concept art, not in game art. The "recentness" of the game is irrelevant.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Jarrakul said:

I think the other way around, to me Vivienne looks like a necromancer, and Dorian looks like a F/M. Just based on the portraits, haven't played DAI yet. Solas looks like a monk to me but the pointy ears scream elf so no no no no.. :smiley:
    The following portraits are based on the cards for the companions and advisors. For cards, I use only the first versions of companions' cards - in order to avoid spoilers.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yannir said:

I think the other way around, to me Vivienne looks like a necromancer, and Dorian looks like a F/M. Just based on the portraits, haven't played DAI yet. Solas looks like a monk to me but the pointy ears scream elf so no no no no.. :smiley:

I get that aesthetically, but I'm basing things on their DAI selves, not just their appearance. In DAI, Dorian is a necromancer, Solas is a rift mage (which seems to translate to "nuke it some more") and is the least traditional of the three, and Vivienne is a Knight Enchanter (which is the closest the game gets to a fighter/mage).
    Fardragon said:

Jarrakul said:

Neither fit. Elf fighter/thief.
    Perhaps. Fighter/thieves aren't very good archers in BG2, though.
    Yannir said:

Jarrakul said:

Dorian is a necromancer because in DAI, he's a necromancer. And Vivienne is a Jedi and likes to hit people with a big magic sword. And Solas is an elf (sorta) who definetly doesn't punch or kick anyone.
    Jarrakul said:

Perhaps. Fighter/thieves aren't very good archers in BG2, though.

Archers are rangers, and Sara's empathy with the wilderness/nature is zero, if not negative. And she is good at picking locks, which rangers can't do.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2015
    Fighter/Thieves make excellent archers, especially Elves. Thieves tend to have high Dex, Elves even more so, and short bows are as good as it gets in BG2.
    If I was going to use DAI portraits I would use them for IWD rather than BG2.
  • ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    i tried to use them, but for some reason only cole and sera's portraits will actually work when i try to create a character... all portraits are exactly the same (specs, size, etc), and i even tried in both bg and iwd and nothing... so weird... any ideas? lol
    @Valferys For a strange reason, the names of portraits in the OP are somewhat like "c637866L(4)", except for Iron Bull's and Sera's. For using in the game, you need to exclude "(4)" from the name.
  • ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    @bengoshi i renamed the files to just their names (sera 001, cole 001, etc) and those two are the only ones that show up... i have had issues in the past with using custom portraits, and those issues have always been weird... sucks, it would have been cool to make a party based on dragon age
    Valferys said:

@bengoshi i renamed the files to just their names (sera 001, cole 001, etc)

Those are wrong names. The name should not have any spaces and end with "L", "M", or "S", see http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits