Skip to content

Fa'ahei, Evil never sounded so sweet.

NatyTheAdventurerNatyTheAdventurer Member Posts: 5
edited April 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hey guys, it's Naty :)
WELL, I had started my journey as an evil bard named Naty (duh!) but I noticed some quests I did would increase my reoutation which was not appreciated by my evil companions (Montaron and Xzar). I am SO keeping these two until the end, they are hilarious xD Anyways, I decided to start another character because I think playing an evil character doesn't mean to play like I would "normally" play. Explanation: I did these questfs because that was one of my "good-players-follow-the-rules" reflexe. I created a new bard, Fa'ahei with better stats and have decided to go with the flow. I will travel through the Sword Coast the way I want to. I have travelled many maps now, among them I finished Peldvale, Larswood and a few others without names (some I could not finish because they were too hard! Basilisks overpowered wtf?)
I had to run to Nashkel at some point though, Xzar and Montaron were getting more and more angry and I didn't want them to leave. Anyways, I managed to recruit some very interesting people, but let me describe you Fa'ahei first:
Half elven bard
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 9
Intelligence :16
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 18

My companions: Viconia, Kagain, Shar Teel, Xzar and Montaron. We've travelled quite a lot of places and got xp out of kills instead of going for quests which are quite boring by the way. I prefer getting dirty on the battlefield rather than running errands here and there for senile people. Anyways, I'm also making some research about the skills of my team, and their abilities.
Xzar. Interesting character. At first I thought he sucked and all... But he's just the Nasus of Baldur's Gate I think (wink at League of Legends players ;) ). Larloch's drain makes up for his poor constitution and in a "late game" fight, he must be extremely freaking hard to deal with. Also, I've noticed some of his main necromancer spells require him to be at melee range, like chill touch and ghoul touch. His thac0 is not formidable, but his Strength is not disgusting either (14). Here is how I play him: stack hp with Larloch by spamming it then I follow up with chill touch which deal decent damage... If he manages to touch of course lol. I think there is a Strength spell for mages, I'll make Fa'ahei learn it to support Xzar so he can keep his spells for other necromancer spells. Yep, I play a necromancer, I'll make sure to spam death in the enemy ranks.
Montaron. Were he not short, I'd date this guy for being a real dickhead: I.LOVE.HIM!!! Whatever x) thief/fighter, I had to decide whether to play him at the backlines or at the front. Considering his weak strength and constitution, I gave him a sling instead. I think he needs a few levels, some points in single weapon style and hide in shadows and he is set for some disgustingly high damage backstabbing work (I recently discovered you need really need to be behind your target to backstab... Omg...). He obviously was not meant to be a dungeon thief, all his skillpoints were put in Hide in shadows and move silently when I first met him (compared with Imoen).

Viconia. I found her in difficulty and she made me lose reputation as soon as she joined my group. Good for me. Well my eyes almost died when I saw her constitution: WTF? LOL! Anyways, there are also not many armors she can wear but when she does wear one, dude this AC though lol x) I find this super cool. I run her with Bless, Cure light wounds, Cure poison and chant for now. I had to make research about dicerolls to understand that Bless and Chant were not just pretty animated spells: they actually boost Shar Teel, Montaron and Kagain dangerously. I still find the healing casting time really tricky to control tough, but I'll learn.

Shar Teel. My ADC (attack damage carry xD), her dps is insane and I've put three stars in two weapon styles and have her shred spiders, bandits and hobgoblins at the front. True she is squishy, but with two Daggers+1 in each hand, excuse me red circled people, but where is your God now? Omg and Viconia just cast Bless+Chant = GGWP. Honestly, I doubt I'd go very far without her.

Kagain. I found him very accidently lol x) I thought his shop was a house I could rob but then I talked to him and stuff. Gee, his Constitution is INSANE!! Well he is my tank, and it's quite funny how enemies focus him when the actual damage comes from Xzar and Shar Teel xD but he is really good.

Fa'ahei. I've made some research and I think I'm gonna play a very annoying support with divination, enchantments and illusion being my focus. I also have this perma-moral boost which keeps Kagain from running around. For now I managed to learn the Sleep spell: useful really :)

What else can I say? Well nothing much really, I'm still roaming around and might consider visit the Nashkel mines.... Some other day. I'm busy killing and exploring all the maps, training my team, managing the positioning and stuff (ex: Shar Teel needs to start fights at long range with throwing daggers so the enemies focus Kagain)

What about the quests and qtuff? Well I guess only good people get experience and benefit from boot licking. I gain power through struggle, sweat, research and blood baths. I'll eventually come to Beregost one day when I'm powerful enough to erradicate these weaklings . Lt me xp.

Fa'ahei
Post edited by NatyTheAdventurer on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I still find the healing casting time really tricky to control tough, but I'll learn.

Unlike many RPGs, healing in Baldur's Gate is generally not designed to be done in the middle of a battle, because it doesn't restore a lot of hit points and it takes a long time. Your priests are better off contributing to the battle, by buffing allies and debuffing enemies. Command, Hold Person and Silence (vs enemy spellcasters) are all extremely effective for low level combat. If you equip them properly, clerics can fight pretty well as well. Use healing spells inbetween battles, not during it. Mitigating damage is better than healing.

Since you've gone full evil, try to pick up Dorn and Baeloth if you can, those two are absolutely monstrous in BG1.
  • NatyTheAdventurerNatyTheAdventurer Member Posts: 5
    Baeloth? As for Dorn... Well he rejected me at the Friendly Arm Inn, guess I'm not his type of companion :( anyways, still visiting here and there, I got a lot of experience from killing a crazy guy near a boat. Couldn't understand anything he said, so I got rid of him... And also this Surgeon person. Anything wearing a robe is not worth talking to unless it's Xzar. #word
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    Hah, Basilisks. Thay are maybe a little too OP, but there's simple cure for that. Protection from petrification. Way much OP than basilisks :D
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I am not sure how strict you are about spoilers, not plot spoilers, but location of potential companions... so I'll put it in a spoiler box below to use at your own discretion.

If you'd like to know about how to recruit Baeloth and Dorn...

You will come across Dorn again if you visit the Nashkel Mines.

Baeloth is Larswood, southeast of the Friendly Arm Inn. You need to be lv5 or above to get him.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    It's really fun to read posts by a new player who is so excited by the process of discovering the game. A pearl to you, @NatyTheAdventurer .