Skip to content

#12380 Timestop should not produce graphical echoes

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
edited April 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
I've been working on a mod for BG2:EE which contains several new areas. One of the areas always produces garbled graphics on my system whenever the timestop effect is active. I have no clue what is causing this issue. I have stripped the ARE and WED files to the bare minimum and tried out both TIS V1 and TIS V2 formats. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone with more insight into the inner workings of the game engine a solution for this problem? ( @Avenger_teambg @Gate70 )

Screenshot before casting timestop:

Directly after casting timestop (the grayscale effect is missing):

Moving the viewport around while timestop is active:

Post edited by argent77 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2015
    @argent77
    Nice pictures. I remember a very similar view from another game with the entrance from a tunnel at the top and slightly left of centre, a rickety bridge at the south. About all I can't remember is whether it was NWN!

I don't know about the inner workings but had seen one ticket around timestop and found 2 more. Maybe these will help you either with the limited description or an area to compare to.

5114 Screen does not go grey-scale when Time Stop is cast

6983 Moving around while under Time Stop should not show multiple images of objects in AR6400
    Wrong area flags. Had fog and snow probability and wrong overlay flags
    AR5200, AR5202, and AR6400

2213 Shadow Step lacks Time Stop visual effect
    Area rendering ignores the greyscale flag
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I have solved the problem!

Your description of ticket 6983 helped me narrow it down. It's caused by the "Wind speed" field (at offset 0x52) of ARE resources. Setting it to 0 removes the visual artifacts. Low non-zero values appear to produce the garbled graphics as seen in the screenshots. The graphical corruption decreases with higher wind speed values. A value of 100 or higher doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect anymore.

I have found two more areas with non-zero wind speed values:
    - OH5300, which is heavily affected by this issue
    - AR1607, which doesn't show visible artifacts because of a very high wind speed value

I would say this is an engine bug.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Thanks @argent77 have raised on the basis of OH5300 as that can be reproduced in the standard game.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The wind speed field is used for something else, we should clear all wind speed fields.