Skip to content

Playing it Hardcore: The Adventures of Selangor [No-Reload, SCS, Solo, Insane]

Comments

• Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    We'll be going live in 15 minutes! As much as it sucks to restart, I also feel like I've learned a lot about what to do...and also how to kill that blasted Elder Brain. Next time: SI: Abjuration.
    Well, I got completely surrounded by trolls in Tor'Gal's lair. It looked like I was about to fight my way out, but my Stoneskin couldn't be cast in time.
    Despite my earlier comments, there won't be a stream tomorrow - I didn't realize what day it was and as such I didn't realize my mom's surgery was tomorrow. As such, we'll all be there at the hospital (thankfully it's nothing serious or life-threatening), so the next session will be on May 17th at noon PST.
    We'll be going live in 15 minutes! Hope to see everybody there - yesterday was the first time in a few weeks I haven't streamed, so it's nice to get back into the groove, heh.
    We'll be going live in 20 minutes. I didn't post an update earlier because I'm still kind of upset over how I died (Ruhk dispelled my buffs and used a Spell Sequencer with 3 Flame Arrows on me, I died despite having 140 hp of health). But it's all a learning experience - that's what I get for forgetting to cast Spell Shield beforehand.
    edited May 2015
    Woohoo, I didn't die for once! I'm doing quests in a different order; I'm tackling the de'Arnise Keep later than normal, opting to do some quests in Athkatla first. I've hit level 14 in both classes (HLA!), and I'm thinking I'll do the Unseeing Eye quest for the first time. I'll be able to clear it out fairly easily with the Shield of Balduran, I hope.

The next stream will be at noon PST on May 19th.
    We'll be going live in 20 minutes! I'm hoping to make it to Spellhold today, maybe even the Underdark...again. I know what to do for the Illithids this time around, so hopefully I won't die this time.
    edited May 2015
    Well, things went smoothly - save for the Beholders stealing and permanently destroying my Shield of Balduran (thanks SCS). What led me to conclude today's stream was Bhaal's refusal to enter Candlekeep during the dream in Spellhold. I spent twenty whole minutes of back and forth trying to get him to enter, even reloading my save (I don't count it as a reload since there was no game over or re-doing things, and it was to resolve an issue with the game itself). Nothing worked - and this is in a game where hostile enemies from across the map randomly enter the building you are fleeing to. I never had this issue in vanilla BG2, but I'm not sure if it's an issue with EE or with SCS. I will try to look for a solution, even if it means consoling him in.

I'll have a writeup of the session up in a bit. The next stream will be at noon PST tomorrow on May 20th.
    We'll be going live in just over 10 minutes. I think I found the code for summoning Bhaal, so I'll probably go with that given that he won't enter Candlekeep normally.
    Well, I died.

Just kidding! I did it this time - the Elder Brain fell quickly to my onslaught of attacks, and the beholders could not pierce my invisibility...well mostly. Actually they got the drop on me at one point and a Benny Hill type chase sequence ensued as I tried to flee them...I almost died, but I didn't, thank god. I killed Adalon to make a quick escape out of the Underdark, and I have successfully conquered the Underdark and initiated Chapter 6, thus establishing a new high-water mark for this challenge thus yet. A write-up will be composed later today.

The next stream will be at noon PST tomorrow (May 21st).
    edited May 2015
    SAHUAGINS, ILLITHIDS AND BEHOLDERS, OH MY!

--------------------

So I had to console in Bhaal. It's not too big a deal, finding the code for it didn't take more than two minutes of searching. The scripted event went without a hitch, and off I went. Now I enter Spellhold, one of my absolute favorite levels in the BG trilogy. My first order of business (after dumping Imoen) is to get the long-awaited Bag of Holding. I have been away for too long. I dump some of my items into it and move to quickly kill the Yuan-tis in the south room. I make a quick grab of the three portal stones and kill what comes out. None serve to be an issue, even the Pit Fiend.

The next stage wasn't any more difficult. The Umber Hulks were easy, as were all the summoned creatures from the yellowed scroll as well as the room with the kobolds. As expected, the lich proved to be somewhat challenging. I drew the other undead out with a Simulacrum (I'm not high enough level yet for it to be really useful) and killed them quickly, since the Greater Mummies have an SCS-ified nausea that can kill you in seconds. I waited for the lich to expend his spells against some of my summoned minions before moving in for the kill. Dace Sontan proved to be a lot more...annoying. He felt it necessary to continuously retreat into bat form when he reached "Injured", something that took repeated rests to eventually overcome. Unlike other vampires, True Sight did not dispel it.

The level below proved to be easier, with the Noble Djinni being the only enemy giving me a bit of trouble on account of his unlimited invisibilities. It was in this level that I got my second must-have item: the Boots of Speed. Coupled with Haste, getting anywhere across a map is of no consequence now, and I can outrun nearly every enemy I face (this will be an important detail later). Bodhi is, one again, easily dealt with, and I rush downstairs to face Irenicus. I pay off Lonk the Sane to avoid a harsh mage battle, and I rally the inmates to do battle. Irenicus doesn't put up much of a fight, as I immediately used a Spell Trigger containing two Secret Words and a Spell Thrust on him followed by a Breach, forcing his contigencies to activate early. I quickly kill off my mirrored clone and start putting pressure on Irenicus, making sure to stay out of his direct line of sight. When his PfMW wears out, I wail on him with Whirlwind Attack, bring the battle to a swift end. I decide to go to the Sahuagin city, since the Cloak of Mirroring is there.

The battle on the ship worried me, because the githyanki get new SCS-ified psionic abilities that can end your game - a good example is Psionic Maze. Fortunately, it can be blocked with SI: Conjuration like the vanilla Maze spell. The Githyanki fall easily to my blades, and the Sahuagin drag me under the sea to use me as a pawn in whatever scheme they can't execute themselves. I clear out the city and make a beeline for the Cloak of Mirroring, which is my raison d'être for doing the Sahuagin city quest in the first place. The Drow City section makes me really nervous - it's filled with game-ending traps, especially in the area with the chests and the Spectator Beholder. I cast Spell Turning and SI to both Conjuration and Alteration (to guard against the multi-trigger Maze and Disintegrate traps). I quickly do the tests for some quick XP before my spells run out, then I speak to the beholder, getting through his dialogue as quickly as possible. I haul ass out of there and speak to the rebel leader, thankful that my spells didn't wear off beforehand (in hindsight: not a smart quest to do).

I agree to kill the king since it means having to kill fewer enemies. The king nearly kills me, though: my Stoneskin wore off mid-battle and he hit me for massive amounts of damage: one hit does 70 freaking points of damage, courtesy of his Impaler +3. Even on Insane that's ridiculous; a dragon's attack doesn't even do that much. But I survive and throw up defensive spells as I kite him around the city, eventually he gets felled by some guards. I happily take my rewards and plunge into the Underdark, perhaps the most treacherous part of the game.

My first point is to clear out the soul-trapping machine; I cast SI: divination and Mislead to wipe out the drow war party on the way there. My first trigger is the lich - I face him the same way I face other liches. I run off screen and summon minions to absorb his spells, taking care to kill his gated Glabrezu before he kills off my other minions. When his weapon-shielding spells wear off, I run in to finish him off, taking care that Protection from fire and Cold are active. He cannot cast any spells due to the elemental damage of the Flail of Ages piercing his stoneskins, and he falls shortly. The other summoned enemies were a breeze to deal with.

Next, clearing out the elemental portals. Both forms of Deathblow prove to be exceedingly deadly against the elementals, although using it seems to cause fewer than normal to appear. Perhaps it is because they die so quickly? No matter, I'm already at a very high level. I use Freedom to free the imprisoned mage and head to the Svirfneblin camp to get his spellbook and the Light Gem. The Balor is a pushover; I cast Remove Fear, Protection from Fire, SI: Abjuration and SI: Conjuration, completely neutering his repository of SCS spells and abilities. He has high damage resistance, but he still falls quickly to my 7 APR.

Now to do the three boss areas. I begin with the Illithids (actually I thought I was doing the beholders first): it is where my game ended previously, but I now know what to do to avoid dying at the Elder Brain. The Illithids are a worrisome bunch, as their psionics have no obvious counter given my lack of Chaotic Commands and the Greenstone Amulet. My two saving graces are my insane saves (my Save v. Spell was -3 with buffs) and Spell Turning, which manages to stop a few psionic "spells" before wearing off. I still summon in minions (including a Celestial, which I am now a high enough level to cast) to draw their fire and/or kill them should I be stunned.

I don't have any issues. Greater Deathblow will one-shot Mind Flayers (but not Ulitharids), and I save against all of their psionic attacks. I witness successful saves as low as 0 - thank Helm for being a gnome! I push my AC down to -13 to avoid getting hit too much - I can only withstand three hits before having my brain sucked out entirely. I make ample use of WW and Improved Haste, especially since Illithids can now teleport to wherever you are. The Elder Brain falls easily this time around: SI: Abjuration and the brine potions render all of its abilities useless. The other enemies are but a pushover by comparison, although I constantly check my Intelligence score.

The beholders...boy, that proved to be a bit more difficult. Hive Mothers can see through invisibility, but none of the others can. As such, I summon minions to deal with her at range while I sneak up behind the other group of beholders next to her. All standard beholders (i.e not Death Tyrants, Elder Orbs, etc) die from Deathblow, which I gleefully make use of. It goes smoothly...until I miscalculate the duration of my Mislead spell, and I get exposed to two beholders who promptly blast away all my buffs, and worse yet, steal my Cloak of Mirroring! I run near the exit, trying to sleep and put up more buffs. No good - they catch me before I can cast. I run outside, trying to rest there...and they follow me. I get blasted with an Anti-Magic Ray before I cast Mislead - faced with an onslaught of beholder rays, I run like hell across the Underdark, while respawned Kuo-Toas join in on the chase! I drink an Oil of Speed and haul ass to the Svirfneblin camp, and only there can I rest and throw up my invisibility. I kill the beholders and take what is rightfully mine. Disaster averted.

Next, the Kuo-Toa shrine. This proves to be easier - Mislead + SI: divination make it easy to kill the drow and beholders, and the Sahuagin Price is a pushover. I experienced quite the internal dilemma regarding the summoning of the four Demon Knights. Nasty enough on vanilla, on SCS they are even worse. But guess what: with a bunch of buffs (including SI: Conjuration), they wound up being a lot easier than I expected. Between my layers of defenses, 7 APR and summoned minions, they fall easily. I cannot open the door to the surface just yet, so I head to Adalon's lair. I enter the beginning of Ust Natha to pick up some spell scrolls and sell off gear. I'm really stressed out at this point dealing with so many near-death encounters, so I just kill Adalon (she's as easy as Firkraag) and run up to the Drow exit. Picking off who remained did not prove to be a challenge, and I ascend the stairs, happy that my ordeal in the Underdark is at an end...hopefully, this time for good. I get the dialogue and questioning out of the way, and I save my game, where my session ended for the day.

I've hit a new high-water mark for this game - Chapter 6 is a new personal best for me. I do not know what to expect going forward, so hopefully there aren't too many nasty surprises. I'll finally be able to flesh out my level 9 spell slots, so hopefully I'll be armed with everything I need to succeed. The next session will be at noon PST (GMT -8) tomorrow, on May 21st. Hopefully I'll see a bunch of people there, as I intend to complete SoA or die trying!
    Post edited by Bynary_Fission on
    We'll be going live in 15 minutes! This is it: I will push through to the very end of SoA. I reeeeeally hope I don't die...but if I do, at least it'll be a learning experience to carry with me.
    We'll be going live in 15 minutes! I'm feeling pretty invigorated, knowing that I won't have to repeat any of SoA anymore. ToB will prove to be an epic-level challenge, but one I intend to finish. We'll see how far I get into my first session.
    edited May 2015
    Ehh, guess the stream isn't happening today. The Twitch servers seem to be having some sort of issue, because I'm dropping over 50% of my frames when normally I drop very, very few. I'll try again at the same time tomorrow (May 23rd), hopefully it will be resolved then.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    1000th view! Congrats, @Bynary_Fission. You're a celebrity now!

1000th view! Congrats, @Bynary_Fission. You're a celebrity now!

I noticed! I'm glad to see that I've made it as far as I have, hopefully more people will take notice. I've noticed a steady uptick of viewers in my stream, and while it generally stabilizes between 2-3 I do have a few regular viewers, and occasionally I have 5-6 viewers all tuning in - a good number for a 16 year old game! Getting more steady viewers definitely gives me the drive to continue, even when I have to restart from near the end of the game.

I certainly appreciate that you've followed me along the whole way too. :smile:
    We'll be going live in 20 minutes! I hope the issues with the stream have been resolved - I'm really itching to get started.
    Great session! I think I found a fix to my issue - I'm still having about 4% of the frames dropped, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before (>30% of frames dropped). I made it all the way to Abazigal's lair. Funny enough, the only death I had was at Illasera. The others were pleasantly easy, especially Yaga-Shura. I'll compose a write up later today.
    We'll be going live in 20 minutes. I realize I forgot to write a write-up for the last session...so I'll just merge it with this one; I should remember most of the details haha.
    Hah. I died....by typing a response to somebody's question when some off-screen enemies attacked me. I thought I was paused too. Hmph. No big deal - I've managed to make up all my lost progress, and I'll just write up what happened during this session - I killed Abazigal and I'm at the start of Sendai's lair, who I recall being a far worse foe. I'd hate to imagine what she's like on SCS, and I didn't even install the "improved" mod for her.
    DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

-----------------------

Why did I give this section that title? Because out of a dragon, a fire giant and a puny human sorcerer, guess which one ends up being the most difficult? Illasera's Black Blade of Disaster is counterable for certain, but coupled with the other mage who is also shielded by spell protections, invisible and covered by SI: Divination (along with her), and you just wind up having a bad time. Double points for getting dispelled because you don't have enough spell shields to counter two high-level mages. Illasera moved blindingly fast with both Haste and the Boots of Speed, and her speed factor is next to nothing with the sword, and I don't have enough defensive spells to keep throwing up. Beating her meant throwing up everything I had and waiting for her spells to slowly wear off. I was pushed down to <40hp before her Haste wore off and I was finally able to start getting hits in.

In Saradush, I skipped doing most of the side quests, save for returning Lazarus's spellbook as he possesses a copy of every spell scroll in the BG trilogy. The Vampires did not offer any real challenge, as Deathblow was able to one-shot most of them. Time Stop and the Planetar serve as staples for fighting high-level groups such as the fighters in the Saradush underground and Gromnir's palace. Fighting Gromnir mostly involved staying away from the two mages. I summoned a Planetar to serve as a meat shield while I take down the mano-a-mano fighter types on the right side of the room. Staying out of their line of stops during their multiple Time Stops, eventually I cast my own and I eviscerate all but Gromnir himself. Making sure that my layers of spell defenses were still active, I WW Gromnir to oblivion and hightail it out of there, leaving the two mages to themselves. Fighting them isn't really worth it.

Next step: Yaga-Shura. The battle worried me a lot, since I imagine SCS would make the already infinitely summoning warriors even worse. But that was in the future. I head to the Marching Mountains and immediately head to the internal chamber - I won't bother with the other Bhaalspawn in the corner (although fighting a chinchilla is a tempting proposition). So SCS decided Burning Men weren't annoying enough. They decided that they needed to have a dispel that never failed and couldn't be blocked by anything. Lovely. That means I need to take them out before anybody else, although in encountering the ones outside the dungeon I did get hit, albeit after killing the fire giants. Little matter - my saves prevent me from getting hit with their fear anyhow.

Killing the giants in the main room is a simple order of business. With Protection from Fire active at all times, I cast Time Stop and WW several of them down before it wears off. I make sure that Stoneskin is active, and I cast an additional Hardness to insulate against my character should it end suddenly. Approaching the top rooms didn't take much effort at all. The lower two proved to be slightly trickier, if only because of the Fire Lich (who had to be first engaged offscreen) and the Burning Man, who had to be quickly killed before his auto-dispel kicked in. I activate the center console and move to the second floor.

SCS puts a red fire dragon in the main room, although he isn't any more difficult than Firkraag. Because there are so many scripts going off at once, the game really chugs when there are a lot of on-screen enemies. Therefore, I throw up a Time Stop at the border of the main chamber and quickly eliminate several giants. When Time Stop ends, I make sure that SI: abjuration is active. Berenn, being a priest, has no way to counteract my debuffing spells. A Breach renders him helpless and he falls very quickly. The dragon takes a bit more time as I have expended many of my defensive spells clearing out the room, but my last PfMW gives me just enough time to finish him. I grab the two hearts and head out - I'm not going to bother with Imix, as I'm sure SCS gave him some stupid OP ability.

The Master Wraith is an example of an enemy that used to give me a lot of trouble - largely on account of his fast wraiths. Ahh, how young and naive I used to be. I always keep a Planetar up as a distraction, but she isn't really needed as Improved Haste makes taking them out a cinch. The skeletons guarding the temple seem easy at first, but mid-combat my combat buffs all get dispelled by that mage, whom I cannot target with spells. I only notice when I begin taking large amounts of damage. Damn. I retreat and cast Time Stop, killing most of the warriors. I have to wait for the mage's buffs to wear off before I can kill her. Nyalee is a completely pushover (duh, she's a priest). One Breach and she's toast. I ignore the Shambling Horrors and hightail it out of there.

Yaga-Shura. I *was* worried about him, but I found out on my first playthrough that he really isn't that hard. It's getting overwhelmed that worries me. When I approach him in the battlefield, I begin by removing who I can with Deathblow, which is largely restricted to his weaker fighters. No matter - I keep as much free space as I can while I want for him to return. When he does, I throw a Breach on him and wail on him as fast as I can. I notice that I'm quickly getting surrounded - I use WW and hope that I don't get so swarmed that I can't reach him anymore, because if that happens it's game over. Thankfully, he dies before that happens, and everybody disperses.

The Oasis battle is a total pushover, since all the enemies except Jamis die to Deathblow. I spend little time in Amkethran, save for doing a few tiny side quests. I will assemble the Big Metal Unit as soon as Abazigal's lair is finished, but everything else is of little interest, since there are no items I really need here. Abazigal's lair has the final FoA head as well as the Bronze Panties, making it of intense interest to me. Plus, I imagine Abazigal isn't as bad as Sendai.

First step: Draconis. Okay, don't judge me, I was ten when this happened. But I was very nearly brought to tears as a kid trying to kill him. No matter how many times I reloaded, I could not beat him. I was stuck for <i>months trying to beat him (I didn't have internet on my computer so I had no guide). There is no relief like the feeling you get when you make long-overdue progress on your favorite game. Of course, on vanilla he's as easy as can be now. On SCS, I found that his dragon form is actually easier than his human form. As a human, he's a mage of no small power who seals himself under un-dispellable invisibility, summons plenty of Morty's Swords and a whole sequence of weapon-protection spells. As a dragon, he only has a few defensive buffs and the same easily-blocked Remove Magic as the others.

Inside Abazigal's lair, I methodically make my way through each layer of the dungeon, keeping a safe distance when needed and using my Planetar as a second teammate. The room with the eyeballs proved to be more annoying than difficult, but they're pretty easy experience, really. I don't touch the elder Orbs, instead unloading it on the three kids who are petrified for some reason. I always loved the really meta reference to the nature of the game when he "reloads" after dying. I get the needed orb eye as well as the Bronze Panties, and make my way to Abazigal.

I avoid killing the stuck-up dragon because I don't think she's worth wasting time on. I focus my buffs and energy on Abazigal, saving SI: Abjuration and Protection from Energy for the dragon form. I begin by killing the salamanders lining the edge of the room and simultaneously avoiding his WWs. I let him expend his HLAs while I remove the salamanders, and when he is finished I conjure my Planetar to serve as a distraction. I activate my HLAs and wail on him until he changes into a dragon, upon which I throw up the remainder of my buffs. It seems like he is given some ability that allows him to remove certain defensive buffs - my stoneskins and PfMW disappeared suddenly in the beginning of the battle. No matter. I use a Spell Trigger containing those two spells and resume my assault. With a Breach spell following, he didn't stand a chance.

Right before ending the session, I made a detour to Watcher's Keep to grab the poison FoA head. Getting to it proved to be a snap, as the statues weren't as difficult or hardy as I thought they would be. I grabbed the head and headed out, and that will be the least time I enter Watcher's Keep. Getting Free Action on the FoA is rather unwanted as it negates haste, but I can remove it before casting Improved Haste to still get the extra attacks. Having a +5 weapon with all that elemental damage is worth the downside IMO.

I will stream tomorrow at noon PST (May 25th). I could complete the game by tomorrow...we'll see!
    We'll be going live in 20 minutes! This could be my final session...if I manage to survive Sendai, Amelissan and the Ravager (I remember him being really hard, let's see what SCS did to him).
    edited May 2015
    I found out something real interesting.

Using the Big Metal Unit in the final battle is a complete mistake. Aside from disabling spellcasting, it makes your character so large that you unable to target enemies while blind, something that happens when the Demon Knights she spawns in use PW: Blind against you. I couldn't kill the Death Tyrant, got dispelled, and rolled a critical failure against a Symbol: Fear (my save v spell was -4). I re-played the battle without it and did vastly better. *sigh*

I'll stream tomorrow at noon PST (May 26th).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Big Metal Unit is the most disappointing thing in the saga for me. It gives amazing AC (it's basically Full Plate Mail +11), but it's very inconvenient considering when you get it--there aren't much of any areas left where you can move freely as an Iron Golem.

Plus, none of the components have any use until you forge the whole thing--the benefit is only at the end of the game. What would you think of Carsomyr if it was unusable until the +6 upgrade?

The Big Metal Unit is the most disappointing thing in the saga for me. It gives amazing AC (it's basically Full Plate Mail +11), but it's very inconvenient considering when you get it--there aren't much of any areas left where you can move freely as an Iron Golem.

Plus, none of the components have any use until you forge the whole thing--the benefit is only at the end of the game. What would you think of Carsomyr if it was unusable until the +6 upgrade?

This, pretty much. I was hoping that the AC would outweigh the lack of spellcasting, but it doesn't. Furthermore, spells are actually what got me killed (infinite fireballs from demon knights). The excessive size wound up being far more a hindrance than I anticipated; it's not worth having to wait until near the end of the trilogy for it, unless you are a pure melee class.
    We'll be going live in under 15 minutes! ToB isn't proving to be the insurmountable challenge I thought it would be - hell, I think it'll take less time than BG1 from start to finish. I'll try to kill at least three of the Five, we'll see how far I actually get!
    Wel, I got overwhelmed by Yaga-Shura. I had at Near Dead, and a mage cast a Time Stop right as I used a WW. I was relying on PfMW to keep me alive long enough to kill him, but my progidious talent for rolling 1s meant that he was still alive. It wore off while time was stopped, but I couldn't cast it as soon as it ended (I think I should have been able to). I died almost right away *sigh*

Since nobody had tuned into the stream, I decided to end it there. I'll stream tomorrow at noon PST (May 27th).