Skip to content

Imoen possible spoiler

AstralusAstralus Member Posts: 23
I wonder how Imoen all of a sudden drops fighter in BGII and picks up magic. Do you think it was because of the guy that messed with her head? Either way I think it's awesome and I'm glad to have Imoen as a Mage/Thief.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You can dual class her in bg1 yourself, she has the stats for that and is basically screaming 'I will dual into mage!' Why else a thief needs 17 int? Many people dual her in bg1, and it is kinda canon for her role in the story. She needs to be able cast magic missile after the first dungeon in bg2 for the plot to make sense, afterall.

IIRC Safana in bg1 can also dual into mage but needs an int tome. All around she is an inferiour Imoen. Also we have Nalia in bg2, an almost replica of Imoen, with lower thievery skills but higher carrying capacity and a spiffy magical ring.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I dualed Imoen to mage in BG1, after she got to level 8 thief. I was totally unaware at the time that no NPCs actually carried over to SoA. Bah!

Nalia is Imoen Light. She can actually work well as a thief if you give her the rings of trap detection and lockpicking.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2015
    I always dual Imoen but most of the time I use her as a pure thief. If the situation warrants it then I use her as a backup mage, or even the first-choice mage if I'm playing a non-arcane PC. Generally speaking though, I usually have Nalia for that. I think that she's the second-best arcane caster after Edwin though others might prefer Aerie or Imoen.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Astralus said:

I wonder how Imoen all of a sudden drops fighter in BGII and picks up magic. Do you think it was because of the guy that messed with her head? Either way I think it's awesome and I'm glad to have Imoen as a Mage/Thief.

"drops fighter"? Imoen is a single class thief in BG1, not a fighter/thief.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I guess it's partly her experiences during BG1 showing her that just being good at snatching purses and pilfering buns is not going to cut it in a world out to kill you, and partly a lingering sense of regret about losing Gorion. Following in his "footsteps" after a fashion is her way of trying to make up for being such a pesky brat during her time in Candlekeep.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015
    Mhamza said:

Generally speaking though, I usually have Nalia for that. I think that she's the second-best arcane caster after Edwin though others might prefer Aerie or Imoen.

Neera gets funky; got her to level 16 now in SoA. Edwin is only good because of his amulet. Nalia's only real advantage is that her 4 levels of thief experience give her extra HP, unless you are using her as a fill-in thief until Imoen gets back.

Also, try having Neera cast chaos shield followed by NRD. This turns her into a sorcerer. Her next casting choice includes every spell she knows! Even those she couldn't ordinarily cast because of level restrictions.

And if she still gets a wild surge and gates in a Nebrazzu or whatever those demons are called ... by this time you should be able to kill those guys pretty fast :smiley:

Post edited by FrdNwsm on