Skip to content

Energy resistance items and their stacking (spoilers)

Is there any reliable data on the stacking of several energy resistance items? For example:

Dragon Helm/Helmet of Defense/Helm of the Rock
with
Ring of Fire Resistance and/or Ring of Fire Control
and/or
Darksteel Shield

etc. (other items of note: Boots of the North, Red Dragon Armor, Aeger's Hide)

Also wondering how these items interact with a) class immunities such as those of high level druids and b) spells.

Finally, is it correct that there is only ONE ring of Fire Resistance (40% fire resist) in the game and that this very ring is needed to complete the Club of Detonation, but there are TWO Rings of Fire Control (50% fire resist)?

Oh, one more question: I know there is a 127% resistance cap, but if you go over 100 will the energy damage actually heal you? I'm planning on going crazy with Jaheira and Club of Detonation and it would be sweet to toss out healing fireballs every now and then - How over the top can you get? :D

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    urdjur said:

if you go over 100 will the energy damage actually heal you?

Yes! Also this works for non-energy damage as well. If you get to say 100+ physical resistance, you will get healed by attacks.

Most resistances should simply stack additively. The only iffy ones are effects that SET your resistance to a certain value (rather than INCREASING it by a value). Right now I can only think of the spell Magic Resistance that does that, but there may be others. Usually though it should just be normal, plain, additive stacking. Elemental immunities afaik also work as simply having 100 resistance to the respective element, and should stack with items.

JuliusBorisov
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited July 2015
    @urdjur Lord_Tansheron said it all.
    About your question on fire resistance ring
    I am unsure for Vanilla, but in EE there are two rings of fire resistance, one found on Ruhk Transmuter in Windspear Hills, one in Lazarus Librarus shop in Saradush.
    There are two rings of fire control as well. One on a dwarf in illithid lair, and in Neera ToB quest you get to find one in a chest next to the weapon merchant (or maybe pickpocketing him) in the arena.

By the way, if you wanna heal with fireballs, take red dragon armor, ring of fire control and the club, that s enough
    JuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @urdjur, @Lord_Tansheron, @Arunsun - healing by having resistance >100% used to work in the original games, but doesn't work in EE. Beamdog deemed this feature to be an unintended exploit, so they fixed it.

However, it remains the case that resistances simply stack additively, as before, up to the limit of "127%", even though "127%" now just means 100% in effect.
    Arunsun said:

... in Neera ToB quest you get to find one in a chest next to the weapon merchant (or maybe pickpocketing him) ...

You need to pickpocket him to get it, it's not in a chest.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

healing by having resistance >100% used to work in the original games, but doesn't work in EE. Beamdog deemed this feature to be an unintended exploit, so they fixed it.

Interesting. Not that it was ever a real concern imo, the hoops you had to jump through hardly made it a real strategy. Immunity is enough I suppose.
    Gallowglass
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@urdjur, @Lord_Tansheron, @Arunsun - healing by having resistance >100% used to work in the original games, but doesn't work in EE. Beamdog deemed this feature to be an unintended exploit, so they fixed it.

Nope still works.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    elminster said:

Nope still works.
    !!! Well that's bizarre. Has the current version of the EEs reverted a previous fix?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've never heard of it getting fixed and I tested it out in both BG2EE and IWDEE and it healed me fine. So I'm not sure what you mean.
  • urdjururdjur Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2015
    Interesting, I also saw posts about it having been "fixed" in EE so it no longer healed, but it seems like implementation and documentation are still slightly at odds... It's a pretty weak method of healing anyway though (27% of a 10d6 saved Fireball is about 5 hp and it happens rarely).

While on the topic of items, do you (@elminster and others) know if the following new items from Neera's and Rasaad's quest lines are available in chapter 2 or only later?
    Wooden Horse Amulet
    Cloak of Unerring Strikes
    Ring of Duplication

Thanks! :)
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @urdjur all three are available at chapter two, and I might even add you can get all of these before the tough fight of each quest
    Here are their location:

[spoiler]
    Wooden Horse Amulet: complete the little girl quest (finding her hairband)
    Cloak of Unerring strikes: given to you by one of the monk when traveling to heretic temple if you solve the encounter peacefully, on her corpse otherwise
    Ring of duplication: Vagrant blade group, South west of abandoned amphitheater