Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2012
    Photoshopping an image is something fairly easy to achieve and in very little time.

Getting the code and GUI to work well on different resolutions and different platforms is another kettle of fish.
    Post edited by Lekian on
    RhulqdahrDaylight
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    It's not too bad, the blue obsidian/marble texture is nice.

The part I don't like are the 'dividers'. The gold colour is a bit loud, but the biggest problem is the long strips of gold edging just aren't particularly nice to look at. They'd be nicer as plain gold, the graphics used for the edging isn't pleasant.

Move the four buttons on the left side to the right because there's a big gap there and then spread the portraits out.
    The_New_Romanceimmagikman
    I made a better once @The_New_Romance

darrenkuoimmagikman
    edited September 2012
    @Xzar Then ignore the names and pretend it says "Like a baws, son" instead. The names could be removed the pictures spread out or bigger.

EDIT: Also see the second screenshot I changed just now, maybe the 12 buttons should be on the same side for convenience?
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Having seen screenshots of other in-dev game GUIs, I have a feeling that things like button sizes and placement, portrait borders and how the different elements are embedded in the background are likely to be polished a bit more before release.

When you think about it, it doesn't make sense to finalize every aesthetic detail for playtesting, since things are likely to be changed around before the end. I think this applies to some of the issues that people are pointing out in this thread. Keep in mind that until the game is released it is still a work in progress...
    Syntia13Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    Lekian said:

@Akuro Photoshopping an image is something fairly easy to achieve and in very little time.

Getting the code and GUI to work well on different resolutions and different platforms is another kettle of fish.

I've never complained about what you are referring to: code, functions, bug-freeness, crossplatform-availability etc. of the UI.

I was talking about *colours* and the *ornaments* of the UI - something which has nothing to do with resolutions and the like. Making the decision to *recolour* the reworked GUI in bright blue and gold is a matter of taste - a taste which I honestly don't like at all because it hurts my eyes.

There are different reasons why I prefer Daylight's illustration of recolouring to the GUI of the devs:

1. As someone earlier wrote: the bright colours and the blue/gold contrast distracts from what happens on the screen itself.
    2. Personally I'm used to dark colours when I'm on the PC, because bright colours hurt my eyes, especially at night. As a matter of fact my whole Windows, Firefox and Thunderbird themes are dark coloured. Therefore it may be understandable that I' rather see the new GUI being coloured darker.
    3. Last but not least it's a matter of personal taste - I like "LadeJarl's Tutu GUI" (a rework of the BG1 style GUI for BG2) best because of the BG1 stone-theme, there's nothing I can do about it, I just like the "rough" look and if I think of BG1, one of the first things which come to my mind is the well themed GUI :)

Nevertheless I appreciate the developer's effort and - like I said - they did a very good job with the style of the icons and the technical part of the GUI (zooming in&out via mousewheel is great!), but that, again, has nothing to do with the colour and ornament choices they made.

I guess a mix of the enhanced GUI and a fanmade recolouring will do the trick and everybody will be happy then :)

LekianDaylightJalily
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2012
    @akuro sorry I completely misundertood you.

I understand what you mean about colour brightness and I myself share this aspect with you, especially concerning about the gold not so much with the stone.
    Akuro
  • sanctvssanctvs Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2012
    Hi @PhillipDaigle , are the blocks of the new interface "static" or "movable" like a win bar? tnx
    Post edited by sanctvs on
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    @neleothesze Thanks for the heads up.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    I don't think that the bluish color is the Devs choosing, its just that the stone they have picked to use for the GUI is unintentionally contains high amounts of Iron and Titanium Oxide.. :-)

I just hope it wont fall apart with the Iron Shortage and all...
    Post edited by mch202 on
    Syntia13AkuroDeej3cwill
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    New UI looks fairly good, it sure looks its missing a polish for release.

What im curious about is how will all this look in a decent resolution aka HD res. The new UI screenshot is 1366x768 which is a basic res for low end computer monitors, similar to 1024x768, just widescreen.

The majority of pc gamers nowadays use HD monitors 1920x1080 or monitors close to that resolution range.

One of the main reasons i was so interested in this enhancement was the fact that i could play my favorite game in a decent ui without having my eyes bleed out on 24" and 27" monitors. I dont feel like using a magnifying glass to read the game text.

Is the new UI scalable for higher resolutions?

If possible can we hava a screenshot in HD res, or at a higher resolution?

Thank you for your time
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    @Ward Won`t the button placement of your last screenie mess with spell casting? You`d have half the spells on each side of the dialogue window.
    WardSyntia13
    @Tr_ond Yeah I did think of that after. Just move all the quick buttons to one side, probably the right.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    DukeGr said:

Is the new UI scalable for higher resolutions?

Yes. The GUI's native resolution is 2048x1536. It scales down to whatever lower resolution, and can be upscaled up to 2800x1050 (if memory serves).
  • actionjezus6actionjezus6 Member Posts: 12
    After giving it some though I think I pinpointed another issue with UI that bothered me - the buttons.

In the new UI they are very eye-catching and feel very “heavy” and “full” – not being a native English speaker I can’t find better adjectives, but I can explain what I mean.
    Here’s example from BG1: http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/electronic-arts/bioware/baldursgatemmo.jpg
    In this case the buttons are not so eye-catching because of its small size and being very symbolic (or minimalistic if you wish to call it so).
    Here’s example from BG2: http://oldschoolraygun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BG2.jpg
    In this case the buttons are less eye-catching because their background plays well with main background. Silver colour only emphasizes, it doesn’t dominate.
    And in the new UI buttons are neither the case first, or second. They are eye-catching and I don’t think that they play well with background.

Tl; dr: Think about the buttons and consider making them bit more like those in BG1 or BG2.
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2012
    The gold piping around the inside of the UI could actually be removed completely, personally I think it frames the play window too much. If the gray stone was just beveled on the inside edge it would give the effect of actually looking through a stone window at the gameplay screen.

As it stands the gold piping is too bright and detracts from the feel.

If that change was to be made the gold border around the chat box would be okay and gold borders around the individual portraits would be good too.

The buttons on the bottom right under the portraits are too jammed together and could easily be 50% their current size or some could be moved to the left of the screen.

The gold piping on buttons, chat box and portraits would be enough without also putting it around the inside of the screen.

Making the gold bright doesn't make it better, after all 99% of our time will be spent watching gameplay and being distracted by shinies is only really good for Cespenar.

A future option would be to release the base UI as a pack of images for modders to work from so people can get to work making alternatives from Day 1.
    The_New_Romance
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

I agree that the new GUI could do with some frame around characters' portraits, and the buttons could be made less in-your-face. I would also love for the color to be greysh and the look more 3D-ish, as in vBG1.
    In short, you want the BG1 GUI ;-)

BG1 GUI is the best, hard to compete with that, though the Wood-Stone GUI of Icewind dale 1 is pretty awesome also..

Knettgummi
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @mch202 - don't get me wrong, the new GUI has merits- lots of them, actually. And it isn't finished, so more goodness is going to come its way. It's just that I would like its skin to be more reminiscent of vBG1 for the sake of nostalgia, because I'm just so fond of everything vBG1. Being a remake of vBG1, it would make sense for BG:EE to remind of it, after all.
    mch202Knettgummi
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2012
    Select all button needs to be [re]moved to free up portrait space IMO, they look cramped at the mo; New HUD icons look nice though.
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28

Select all button needs to be [re]moved to free up portrait space IMO, they look cramped at the mo; New HUD icons look nice though.

Select all and turn AI on/off buttons should not be removed or moved elsewhere because they were there since the original Baldur's Gate. New buttons should be moved to the left side bar or to the bottom bar of the GUI because there is more than enough space for them.

Lekian
  • ChudomixChudomix Member Posts: 12
    Whohoho! That's one bad UI color choice. Like a wet stick in the eye. And no, the "hide" option doesn't fix the problem since it will pop up the second you press pause. Also portraits without borders is awful.
    Cener
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    As for the text, I would make it bold:

AntonRazorSpaceInvaderMajoca
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    Have to agree with @Aenor even though the light blue stone does bother me somewhat. However I trust the devs' own eyes not to make anything horribly retina-burning (which the current GUI in the end isn't, especially if you look at it full screen for a while).