Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @PhillipDaigle: When will we see the other screenshots? I'm very excited!
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    @belgarathmth
    Those look pretty nice too.
  • quoxN7quoxN7 Member Posts: 14
    I dont like the new blueish colour, and the yellowish borders neither. The old stone surface feeling tasted much better imo.

The contrast is not good, it distracts you away from the game.

Portraits without borders look weird.

Portraits for new characters just dont fit overall, colour and saturation wise.

The clock looks completely out of the picture, size and position wise.

Sad panda is sad T_T
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @quoxN7

That's not the final version of the clock.

The other stuff is up to the developers.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    One thing ive noticed is that one of the characters (Andrew the great it seems) is carrying the old style BG1 tower shield (it appears). Noone else seen this? Yay? :p
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Hi friends.

[snip]

The clock in the lower left is being worked on as we speak, with fancy new animated graphics. Look for more screenshots soon, perhaps somewhere on the internet.

That was actually the second thing I thought (the first was 'nice, the menu icons are easier to understand than in vanilla BG1'): "what, haven't they fixed the clock yet"? - one of the great annoyances of playing BG1 in the BG2 engine has always been you can't tell the time of day except by creating a save or journal entry.

Glad your working on the clock, hope it will be fixed before release.

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    *sighs* i really don't like the new UI, can you at least give us the option between classic and new UI
    @TrentOster @PhillipDaigle

besides, contract said no major changes, and the addition of a new ui with the old interface option as well seems to fit that better.... plus, you can't please everyone, but the option to switch between the two seems like the closest you can get.

One thing ive noticed is that one of the characters (Andrew the great it seems) is carrying the old style BG1 tower shield (it appears). Noone else seen this? Yay? :p

Yeah, that's one of the 1PP components that has been integrated into BGEE courtesy or Erephrine.

That was actually the second thing I thought (the first was 'nice, the menu icons are easier to understand than in vanilla BG1'): "what, haven't they fixed the clock yet"? - one of the great annoyances of playing BG1 in the BG2 engine has always been you can't tell the time of day except by creating a save or journal entry.

You could also hover your cursor above the clock and read the tooltip.
    Bjjorick said:

*sighs* i really don't like the new UI, can you at least give us the option between classic and new UI

I doubt that would be viable so close to the release date.
    @tanthalas they mentioned adding patches to the game, it just seems like such a huge difference from the original.....i don't know starting to get disappointed
    @Bjjorick

Post-release is entirely possible, but that's for the developers to say.
    @tanthalas honestly, if the text window went across the screen instead of sitting small in the middle, i wouldn't have much of a problem with it, but there alot of long lines in the game, and will probably have to increase the window to the largest up position so i can read what's going on instead of it being in the 2nd largest position.

and looking at the line of text in the window, the few words there take up half the space of the new text window, so it isn't resolved by a new text size. ehhhh
    @Bjjorick
    Relax, breathe in....breathe out. Don't worry, Be happy :D
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    I really like the new GUI. Only thing, as mentioned before, the space between portraits is too small.

And please do some rework on the raindrops! They look as terrible as always!
    @immagikman
    lol, this is a partial text based game, much like fallout, that was based off of earlier text based games, but with more graphical actions. The text window is a very major part of it, and to see it cut so small is kinda like a deep cut at the heart of what BG has always been to me.

All the combat info goes through that window. All sorts of things. In the original, to me, it was just right. Now, it looks nerfed/gimped, and like they're trying to draw focus from one of the spots that will still be a large center of the (original) game. Just my 2 cents worth.
    @Bjjorick I understand, I have played the game a time or three.....they have people who love the game working on this so they will know if the text is being hammered. Don't stress over much about static images.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    @Kerozevok, ha, I find the pink surprisingly appealing. You just gave me an idea - I wonder how hard it would be to program a control that would let you change the color of the interface to whatever the player wants, just like with the armor colors having two customizable shades and the hair colors.

On the new interface in general, I think that people should keep in mind that everybody will surely wind up modding their setup to their own tastes no matter what the developers decide to put in as the default. Plus, everything they can possibly come up with has already been done in a mod anyway.

For me, I think the price of admission is worth it just to get a downloadable clean install that already has bugs fixed and the ToB rules, kits, and interface already installed, plus an equivalent of the widescreen mod. That will save me at least an hour of downloading and installing mods every time I get a new computer in the future.

Plus, I just want to financially support new attention to the Infinity Engine franchises. The devs went through legal heck for two years just to get the licenses reactivated. I'd pay them just for that part. There is so much future potential here to get more and better infinity engine gaming developed.
    @immagikman
    i'll try but ehh, not sure lately.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I'll bet the other 10 screenshots never actually existed at all. This was all just a conspiracy to see how long they can make us continue debating the virtues and flaws of just... one... image...
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    Change is a good thing. They are doing a great job with this, i for one will not be dissapointed because of a simple aesthetic *border*, and a blue background. C'mon people, half of you are defeating your own love for the game over something so small.
    @gypsysocks
    it's the small things that typically make or break a game. most of the big stuff is what you talk about, but if the big stuff is awesome and the small stuff sucks, the game will suck. if the big stuff sucks and the small stuff is awesome, the game will be good. when both are awesome, you have a truely great game.

i'm hoping for a truly great game.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2012
    @belgarathmth "I find the pink surprisingly appealing."

?!?.... Like what, all tastes are in nature. ;)

"I wonder how hard it would be to program a control that would let you change the color of the interface to whatever the player wants"

No idea... Otherwise, the blue are the MOS files and it's easy to texture them.

My BGT start screen : http://nsa29.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/120907063456154184.jpg

However, the gold icons (from NWN1...) are the BAM files, and you can edit them only with Bamworkshop... Pixel by pixel... (AAAARGHHHH !!).
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It would just be a matter of applying a color filter to the UI. Changing the color would just add or remove the selected layer from the UI. I'd be in favor of something like that, although I'd rather make sure the buttons are all in the right spot first.

I actually liked the idea of having the dialogue window on the left and the command icons on the right; it allows you to just scale up the vertical axis of the dialogue window (which is a lot easier on the eyes), and expand upward the right panel to show the "Next" or "End Dialogue" button. I agree that right now there's a lot of dead space on the right and left sides of the dialogue window, but putting command icons on both sides would cause a bit of dissonance when it comes to mapping the F-key controls intuitively.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2012
    Konabuga said:

I can't wait for the 10 other screenshots. Our photoshoppers are going to have their hands full with "fixing" them.

Hopefully not, or there I guess there will be the first "refund" posts. Please note that I would not approve of that.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    My only disappointment is all the empty space on the GUI... but I'll wait till I play the game before making any complaints... or just hope someone makes a nice mod later on.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Super excited to see screenshots, but oof, that blue is burning my retinas. I was partial to the brownish color of BG2's GUI, it was unintrusive. Like many others have said, dialog box could use enbiggening.
    mlnevese said:

Kerozevok said:

BGEE will be blue for the guys... Pink for the girls...

http://nsa29.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/12090705384751977.jpg

You're lucky my wife isn't in this forum... try to give her anything pink and shel'll make you swallow it whole... Although I'm not sure how you could swallow a game's UI, I know her well enough to know she'd find a way. :)
    nah, she'll just make you swallow the monitor. and my wife is ok with pink, but she loooooooves purple, if the interface was purple, would be easier to get her to play :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Hmmm better the UI is easily moddable then... I'm quite sure she`d make me eat the entire notebook not only the screen and this sounds very bad for my health...