Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

1303132333436»

Comments

• TreldonTreldon Member Posts: 2
    I will be the last (I have a mac) and YOU will go first (you have a PC)

*CRUNCH*
    *SPLAT*
  • laethynlaethyn Member Posts: 3
    Should have delayed longer, it seems.
    Please, for the love of Ao, put the fog of war back!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    laethyn said:

???
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    laethyn said:

The fog of war is there...
    ElectricMonkCrevsDaak
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited November 2012
    Muttley said:

Do you think maybe that the whole idea of us pre-ordering was a way to circumvent paying 5% to Kickstarter?

I don't know why they decided against crowdsourced funding, but I do know one thing for sure - that if they had used Kickstarter:

1. They would have made a lot more money via Kickstarter donations than they ended up making in pre-orders, have you seen how much kickstarter RPGs have been making. The association with BG would have cause this project to be wildly popular and essentially advertise itself, and they would have had all those donation tier levels, a far greater number of people would have said "shut up and take my money!"

2. All money would have been available at the beginning of the development cycle, whereas the pre-order money came in at the very end, far from convenient.

3. Kickstarter donations are just that... donations. So, they likely would have had a "pre-order" fanbase that didn't feel so overly entitled that they demand their money back due to their game not being bug free w/in first day of release. I'm not saying that all complains have been unjustified, I just think it's been excessive from what I'm seeing on the forums.

Again, I have no clue what prompted this decision, but I seriously doubt it was giving 5% of money to Kickstarter. I imagine that they thought it would be too hard to convince the BG rights-holders to do it, as when they first started developing this project, they're weren't a bunch of successful Kickstarter computer game campaigns out there.
    Post edited by ElectricMonk on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I doubt the IP holders would ever allow Beamdog to go for a Kickstarter....
  • ekklesiakekklesiak Member Posts: 2
    what is this something extra for those who pre-ordered? has anyone figured this out yet?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    ekklesiak said:

what is this something extra for those who pre-ordered? has anyone figured this out yet?

A stint as Beta-tester bug finders. Valuable work experience! ;)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    ekklesiak said:

So, yeah... same question. Not that I'm greedy (well, maybe I am), but you really shouldn't throw something like that out there and then forget about it later...

Also, some people suspected that the "something extra" was going to be free DLC, but then didn't the entire design team already move on to BG2:EE (according to Trent Oster via Twitter)? And If so, doesn't that exclude the possibility of any (substantial) DLC being developed for BG:EE?

I'm kinda bummed about that, provided my assumption is correct.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    ekklesiak said:

See:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/137732/#Comment_137732 (Phillip Daigle's comment, second from the bottom)
    AdulNecdilzor
This discussion has been closed.