Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    neur0 said:

Bjjorick said:

God bless all :)

Well there's your problem right there.

Peace.
    Can I just shoot myself now? You seriously did *not* just go there, neur0...

Can we just lock this thread. The bigotry meter from all the homophobia was too high, and now neur0 brings out the "fuck religion" card. This thread is cancerous.
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    I wish there was a dislike button
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    I think religion is much more connected to this topic then you may think.
    No one besides Bjjorick and me brought this up so I don't see how it affects this thread.

I mean, it was just a remark. I don't wish to derail the thread, but I stand by what I said that religion is really at the root of this discussion, and that's all I will say about that on this thread.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    Quartz said:

neur0 said:

No one besides Bjjorick and me brought this up so I don't see how it affects this thread.

It's not. It shouldn't be in this thread.

I'm Christian through and through, down to the very letter of the Bible and I don't think my opinion on homosexuality (I believe it's a sin) should effect anyone. Why should I dictate peoples' lives? No, I should stay out of their life, why should I be able to decide in a vote whether they can get married or not, or what have you. The same goes for any other group ... I shouldn't effect them and they should effect me.

What I'm saying is; I'm Christian, and you haven't seen me making a bunch of homophobic posts, as you and many others would likely expect a Christian to do. Ergo, I don't think religion is connected to this topic. Or, *IF IT IS*, it bloody shouldn't be, so. If you wish to reply to this, go ahead, and I will probably call it quits there, or you can not reply. Either way. It's all good, but either way I'm done so as to avoid hypocrisy.

(I really wish my brethren would just stop messing with peoples' affairs. It's not exactly going to cause anyone to convert.)
    Like I said, I also will not discuss it on this thread.
    Sorry if I struck a nerve.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I'm not religious myself, but I agree with @Quartz. Leaving religion out of this is probably the best for everyone. There's enough hot topic issues in this thread already.
    neur0 said:

Quartz said:

neur0 said:

It's not. It shouldn't be in this thread.

I'm Christian through and through, down to the very letter of the Bible and I don't think my opinion on homosexuality (I believe it's a sin) should effect anyone. Why should I dictate peoples' lives? No, I should stay out of their life, why should I be able to decide in a vote whether they can get married or not, or what have you. The same goes for any other group ... I shouldn't effect them and they should effect me.

What I'm saying is; I'm Christian, and you haven't seen me making a bunch of homophobic posts, as you and many others would likely expect a Christian to do. Ergo, I don't think religion is connected to this topic. Or, *IF IT IS*, it bloody shouldn't be, so. If you wish to reply to this, go ahead, and I will probably call it quits there, or you can not reply. Either way. It's all good, but either way I'm done so as to avoid hypocrisy.

(I really wish my brethren would just stop messing with peoples' affairs. It's not exactly going to cause anyone to convert.)
    Like I said, I also will not discuss it on this thread.
    Sorry if I struck a nerve.
    Hey, sounds great to me. Thank you for being reasonable. :)
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    On a small note on this, not wanting to start a flame war on this
    But i would like the church to evolve and change it's point of view on this. Not like it would be the first time that the Roman Church change his view of things, it's not like they still burn wise mother to help woman deliver in less pain, and it's not like they still promote marriage with 1 man and multiple women like the hold testament promoted...
    It would be nice from them to enter the 21 century, just saying, again not wanting to start a war on this
  • MachineOfLightMachineOfLight Member Posts: 15
    @mornmagor great post, great explanation!
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @Mornmagor
    Thank you, part of what you brought up was what i knew i couldn't express without being too graphic, as i've seen those studies and reports, and i know part of what you mean by shock, but honestly, i know i don't know everything. I have also noticed the pattern with bigger families, but i hadn't pieced that part together, and it's a valid theory.

also, thank you for pointing out why they're so defensive. I honestly wasn't trying to offend someone, but it seemed like quite a bit of what i was trying to say was being taken out of context. i honestly don't know if that's because how i was saying it, the fact that it's typed and not spoken, typos, or simply, because i'm an idiot. I'm sure most of you think the last, and you could be right.

Again, i accept nothing as truth until i've tested it myself, and draw my conclusions based off of experiences and the evidence i see most fitting with my experiences. I feel it would be foolish to do it any other way.

Also, as far as my God bless comment, i may not agree with something, but i still try to love the people. If i was judgemental, rude, insulting, hateful, or if i was simply taken as any of those, i do apologize.

If i was stubborn, well, that's just the way i am. Anyways, i'm going to try to stay out of the discussion as i fear i'll do more harm then anything else. Peace and God bless. :)
  • ETBETB Member Posts: 7
    @Bjjorick I hope if there's one thing you take away from this, it is that LGBT people from nature and not from any choice to stray from heterosexuality. I hope you keep an open and thoughtful mind in the future should you ever befriend someone who is LGBT.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Can we start a religion debate thread now?
    I've just finished the God Delusion and am packing steel.

I jest I jest!
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    This thread has given me some pointers on squelching dissenting viewpoints
    Shandyr said:

Quartz said:

Wow... Im stunned.

(Although I think theres a typo at the end, you meant "shouldnt" right?)

I do not believe its a sin. But this would be a different discussion.

You admit that you believe it is a sin, and it is your right to do so.
    But at the same time you respect another person and his or her rights.

You are the first person that I see here that disagrees with homosexuality but
    still does respect another person.

In my opinion this is on what a discussion should be based on.
    Respect for the one who you are discussing with.

As I said youre the first one (for me) who disagrees with homosexuality,
    but at the same time youre not insulting me, denying my rights as a person or even worse

Thanks
    Ahaha yes, I meant "shouldn't," good catch I fixed that now. :)

And you are very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't met others like me. We're semi-rare, but we're out there ... I have plenty of friends who would probably agree with me. And, unfortunately, plenty of friends who are too antagonistic. I think the antagonism will eventually go away with another generation or two. I know a lot of young Christian folks like myself who are very, very loving and accepting people, like Christ, like they're supposed to be; instead of being ardent and unmoving.

Peace~!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    @Quartz
    Do ... do you listen to Christian Rock?

@Quartz
    Do ... do you listen to Christian Rock?

Lmao, a little but not much. (Thousand Foot Krutch is awesome) Why? :P

(I listen to more secular stuff really. For reference, my favorite band is Korn, which has pretty harsh lyrics unfortunately.)
  • BlobbersonBlobberson Member Posts: 12
    LET'S ALL DEBATE POLITICS NOW.

OBAMACARE: GO.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    I look at it like this. In real life. Gays, Bisexuals and the like exist. I'm all for it, and an incredibly socially liberal person. But...even if I wasn't. I couldn't stop the existence of people who have a different gender bias for attraction. If you can role play the game any way you want. What does it matter if the options exist, just like the different kinds of people exist in real life? You can choose to keep that sort of thing out of your gaming experience either way. You have the freedom of Choice as a player. Something that isn't granted to people of other sexualities in real life. Now MAYBE they should include a toggle button when you create your character defining your sexuality at creation, insofar that if you don't want certain types of relationships to come up during your game, they won't. (And that would work both ways, as I'm sure a Gay man or woman wouldn't want heterosexuals hitting on them in game)
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    @b
    Quartz said:

Ahaha yes, I meant "shouldn't," good catch I fixed that now. :)

And you are very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't met others like me. We're semi-rare, but we're out there ... I have plenty of friends who would probably agree with me. And, unfortunately, plenty of friends who are too antagonistic. I think the antagonism will eventually go away with another generation or two. I know a lot of young Christian folks like myself who are very, very loving and accepting people, like Christ, like they're supposed to be; instead of being ardent and unmoving.

Peace~!

Now I hate to get all partisan in yet another way, but that's what I love about the Church of England. Ultra liberal, super lovely, and lots of cake.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I had to read this whole thread to post this, but... Elminster is heterosexual. So is Lhaeo, his scribe. The fact that the two of them shared Elminster's tower, alone, for many years got people thinking they were gay. As well as the fact that Lhaeo was portraying a rather prissy character to make people not think that he resembled the deposed King of Tethyr, who had been his father. Lhaeo had a relationship with... Storm Silverhand, but they kept it quiet, and after Zaranda Star, an adventurer, became Queen of Tethyr, Lhaeo went home and married her to give her reign legitimacy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Of course, DA2 doesn't have subtle 'outs'. The other games did, but not that one. Just being 'nice' in character might end up in a bed.

Nope. DA2 romances won't trigger unless you click on a dialogue option that has a big glowing heart on it. Subtle? Not so much. :)
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    @belgarathmth Well said. Although we disagree on the types of guys we like, this is something we definitely agree on. :)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2012
    tilly said:

Mornmagor said:

But i can tell you, that it's all about hormones. Producing more testosterone from the male genitals basically forces men to be attracted to more oestrogen producing persons (females), and the other way around. You don't have an option in this particular subject according to today's standards.

I appreciate your contribution to this discussion! :D

Now not that I disagree with your medical knowledge (e.g., homosexuality as natural population control is a common idea in evolution - in addition to kinship selection - and fits with increasing birth order) - but... how are bisexual people explained under this theory of hormone ratios? That is, people with more testosterone are attracted to people with more oestrogen? Most of us have a preference for masculine or feminine individuals, while some of us are attracted to both types. I know gender expression isn't strictly the best way of gauging hormone production, but it's all I have right now. :)

As for neuron connection changes, I completely agree with you. As a simple illustration, people with phobias have been mentally scarred: in other words, their brains have been rewired in a small way. Compulsive urges or bad habits can also be developed and destroyed over time.
    As far as i know, it could be possible that for certain quantities of androgens and oestrogens(since they both exist in both genders, just in different amounts), you could be affected by both sexes. Different ratios could mean different results.

For an overly simplified example, a usual straight male would produce 75pgr androgens and 25pgr oestrogens daily.

Make that 75 and 90 and he's gay.

Make that 75 and 75 and he's bi.

Or something. This is not the exact reason, nor does it work like that exactly. It should mostly lie within his brain neurons and his past, which will both affect his hormones and any psychological inclination towards one, the other, or both.

It is surely more complicated than that, and multifactored, however, there must be an organic explanation to every inclination we have, and it's not that easy to explain it.

According to the theory anyway, more hormones than just androgens or oestrogens play a part in sexual orientation, but they are distinct in males and females.

As for the overpopulation theory, although someone needs to check his genealogical tree for that, it is unlikely that every gay person comes from a family with a lot of children. The statistics just pointed that this occurs more frequently than it should, but in any way, the theory is not established yet, and who knows if it ever might.

So... back to the topic? :P
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I just gotta say that for some reason the family reason makes me think it would be perverted to "Guys who over-attach to their mothers turn out gay" or "Guys who have weak fathers and too strong mothers are turned gay by their parents" kinda shash.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    The funny here is the senseless of argue. Everyone has their minds made up already, probally no one will change a point of view based on forum arguments unseless this person already has a predisposition to think different.

People raise arguments to opponents in an attempt to convince the other side to think as them, when that doesn't work (duhhh... obvious) those people resort progressively to irony, mockery and eventually bad manner and flames.

You can work examples, analogy, mathematic reasons but nothing of this matter as no one is open to reason the issue, only to discuss it. If you're gay any comment made against an homossexual behavior, no matter why, when and in which context will be seen as prejudice. By another side people that disagree with gay content in the game will by nature see any homossexual defense as radical, activist, equalists and sometimes as a kind of counter prejudice (as i see some arguments).

The facts are, Beamdog already stated that homossexual content will exist in BG, it's done, anyone that don't like deal with it (as me for example, useless it's Neera XD). Try to explain why gay romances are good will not help anyone and in reason of previous threads this topic will each time more drag more flames and bad manners.

So here is my opinion, not an opinion pro or against gay, but an opinion to this thread:

Close it.

The creator of this thread stated:

I would really liek to romance one of the new NPCs, do I haft to be female or can I play male and still romance them?

The answer is:

There is 2 males and one female, the 3 new NPCs will be romanceable.
    Based in comments on twitter it's know that one of the 2 male new NPCs will be bissexual, therefore if you make a male main char you have in BG 1 female romance and one bissexual male romance, if you make a female main char you have 2 straight female romances.

Now that this thread is properly answered, based on the potential damage that can come from this discussion and seizing my moment of common sense, @Tanthalas can you close this topic?
This discussion has been closed.