Skip to content

What is YOUR Alignment?

RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
Welp, we still have 20ish days until release so here's a little something of interest to ease the wait.

I'm sure that anyone who has spent serious time with a D&D system has likely pondered over the alignment system. You likely have decided what your personal alignment is. You may have even started to assign alignments to friends and family in your heads...

So, as a matter of interest and curiosity, what is YOUR alignment? Let's see how people identify themselves!

Considerations:
1.) This is just for kicks and giggles. This is a moral model taken from a game and nothing more serious then that.
2.) Rate yourself according to how YOU interpret the alignments.
3.) We are NOT measuring alignment strength. You are allowed to identify yourself as evil even if you are harmless and / or have not committed any seriously vile act.
4.) There are people who take morality very seriously. This is not a serious post. Use common sense when posting and interpreting comments.
  1. What is YOUR Alignment?410 votes
    1. Lawful Good
      12.20%
    2. Neutral Good
      23.17%
    3. Chaotic Good
      21.71%
    4. Lawful Neutral
        8.29%
    5. True Neutral
      11.46%
    6. Chaotic Neutral
      14.39%
    7. Lawful Evil
        4.15%
    8. Neutral Evil
        2.44%
    9. Chaotic Evil
        2.20%

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Neutral good to your face.
    Neutral evil behind your back.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    True Neutral, trying to be Lawful Good.
    Malicron
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188

I've never done good things
    I've never done bad things
    I never did anything out of the blue ...

This may very well be my favorite comment in the whole forum. At the very least, it was the axe I wanted to break the ice...
    Permidion_Stark
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I care about people and animals, and usually ponder on what would be best for society . Also , I don't really hold my faith to a single religion - I'd say that's neutral and good.
  • GogandantesGogandantes Member Posts: 4
    Both in real life and in game, I follow my own moral compass. I don't need laws or regulations to tell me about right and wrong... or do I?
    I sometimes stray from the path of good in game, usually by mistake, like when I got jumped by an assassin in Nashkel and my fireball slayed three innocent townspeople. Collateral damage you know. Since I never reload unless I die (hardcore roleplaying mode), I wiped out the whole population in sheer bloodlust and left Nashkel burning in my fiery wake. Took quite some time for me to achieve reconcilation through acts of goodness, and Minsc left the party.
    This make me chaotic neutral doesn't it? Or is alignment more about your intentions than your actual actions? I never intended to slaughter a whole village, but I didn't share any remorse until later. Thoughts on this?
    MedullaOblongata
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I personaly think that I'm chaotic good, and thus far I would always claim that. Thought one of DnD aligment test stated that I'm actually neutral good. Not that I agree with that.

And why I think that I'm chaotic good? I consider myself to be good person (or at least trying to be good), thought my personal "moral code" may seem unfitting for many lawful inviduals. Also, I generaly think that people's humanity and morals should always come first, before religion, nationality, blood ties and other things like that. I think priority is to be good human rather than good catholic/patriot etc.
    MedullaOblongataRemorhazdarius404
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    When reading the descriptions of the alignments I believe I'm Chaotic Neutral, but when doing alignment tests I get chaotic good.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2012
    I've taken several tests/quizzes and I usually get True Neutral, and it's pretty much how I see myself.
    Post edited by Awong124 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Gosh it's awfully lonely at the other end of the scale ...
    [Deleted User]StrayedMonkey
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    My wife says I'm a lawful good Paladin who can't refuse people help when they ask for it.

She's probably right, which is a shame, evil would be far less inconvenient.
    LadyEibhilinRhett
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Pretty much all the tests I've done put me at True Neutral. I think they're probably fairly accurate.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The various online tests usually peg me as true neutral or lawful neutral. I don't really see "good" the same way they do, though.

I'm definitely lawful, because I like order. I have to keep order all the time when I teach classes, with kids who would much rather be chaotic. I also like nice, neat systems and theories and routines.

I'm good in my own eyes, because I care a lot about the feelings of other people. I don't want anybody or any animal to suffer or be hurt or fail to thrive, and I'll usually try to help, within limits. However, I have a pretty strong selfish streak, and I can be a bit lazy. That moves me toward neutrality.

So I rated myself lawful good, but with strong leanings toward lawful neutrality or even true neutrality (I care a lot about balance in life.)
    lunar

This make me chaotic neutral doesn't it? Or is alignment more about your intentions than your actual actions? I never intended to slaughter a whole village, but I didn't share any remorse until later. Thoughts on this?

I've thought a lot about things like this. I've seen this handled a number of different ways in PnP games and actually categorized a few schools of thought:

The Measuring Cup Method
    Whatever alignment you adhere to the most prevails. If you act LG the vast majority of the time, you can act CN once in a while (in party pranks!) and still be LG. A cup of good + a teaspoon of evil makes you mostly good. 1 quart good + 1 quart evil makes you neutral. Permutations abound.

The Sports Team Method
    It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it; it only matters which team you're batting for. Often, the ends justify the means. What alignment you intend to serve is more important than what your actions accomplish. You can sacrifice a few innocents to try to save a village. You can kill in the name of good.

The Drop of Sewage Method
    Someone said "a drop of sewage will spoil a barrel of wine but no amount of wine will save a barrel of sewage." The alignment philosophy here is that evil is a corrupting force that is difficult to redeem. A few evil acts can effectively make you evil and nothing short of extensive repentance will save you.

The Method Method
    Intentions are largely irrelevant; the real question is HOW. HOW you define good and HOW you accomplish good. Your method is scrutinized to determine alignment. If you define good as self service and accomplish it by vile deeds, you are evil. If you define good as "needs of the many" and accomplish it by sacrificing "the needs of the few" then you are neutral.

Of course, people mix-and-match.
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTHJalily
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

Gosh it's awfully lonely at the other end of the scale ...

That's because most evil people are smart enough not to call themselves evil silly. They call themselves Chaotic Good; that's why there's so many of those guys. They're the ones that we really need to be suspicious of...
    Yeah right... and the evil ones are actually the good ones. They just lack enough self-esteem to think of themselves as being good or just neutral.
    Just like CE to take a perfectly good LN suspicion and pervert it to make him look good.
    BelgarathMTHLadyEibhilinRhettdarius404
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Apparantly according to tests, I'm not a Chaotic Neutral because I think nurses and people who help others are awesome. But I dont agree that admiring other people for good acts shifts me from neutral to good, I'd actually have to want to help others myself to be good, and I dont, I pretty much dont care about what goes on in other peoples lives as long as long as it doesnt affect me.
    BelgarathMTH
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    i´m a selfish a-hole and i´m proud to be:D
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109

That's because most evil people are smart enough not to call themselves evil silly. They call themselves Chaotic Good; that's why there's so many of those guys. They're the ones that we really need to be suspicious of...

Indeed. You'll know clever evil man only when he stick knife in your back. I'm lawful evil and i do good things, but alignment determined by not what you do, but why you do it. Deeds doesn't matter, reasons matter

MortiannaPhilhelmdarius404
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    I believe there is a balance to everything in life; even in good and evil folks canceling each other out and the like. However I enjoy being a good person. Thus Neutral Good.

Sometimes I border on Chaotic Good because I also believe that chaos lives in everything, and sometimes I can be a son of a bitch rebel. But I only do that on bad days, so I'm thinking I'm Neutral Good.
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I don't follow anyone's teachings, or a code, so I'm not lawful, I think, and I wouldn't let higher authority keep me from doing something good. It's possible I'd only operate within the law when I'm seen. Sometimes it's just not fair, so something would have to be done.

I can be pushy and speak my mind a lot, even when I shouldn't.
    I want what's best for most, but not everybody, because that's impossible.
    In my mind, some just can't be helped and the dangerous, I wouldn't mind keeping them away from the rest, so they'd be safe, so I'm not chaotic.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2012
    I think I'm somewhere in between Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil: a gentle(wo)man villain? I have no love of tyranny, but I think laws and order are necessary for the existence of a healthy, functional society and that being consistent, dependable, and having a codified set of principles are desirable traits. I'm very "good" to those closest to me, ruthless to those whom I despise, and indifferent (yet cordial) with everyone else. I'm moderately misanthropic and wouldn't shed any tears if large swaths of obnoxious "Jersey Shore" types died one day in a horrible fire. :) The recent, but little-known film, "God Bless America," by Bobcat Goldthwait is my anthem.

I made a poll a couple months ago (What is your PC's alignment) and then asked if it was the same as one's own. The top three PC alignments are (in order) CG, NG, and CN, and the majority of people who commented said they play their alignment as their PC's. It'll be interesting to see how this IRL alignment poll turns out.
    SenashRemorhazSulla
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    I'm generally a good guy. I'm friendly and I help people within reason, though sometimes people just have to commit mistakes to learn and grow. I'm very predictable in a good way. I always take care of people around me if I invited them out/to my party. I spend time with my friends and I don't ditch them to chase some girl if my friends are somehow my responsibility that night. I can chase girls when my friends aren't around. :P There'll be more nights. Also, if I have plans working at my own business, and someone fun starts texting and calling me, I'll tell that person I'm busy. I got rules on how to treat myself, my business, and other people. I got a low thresh-hold for b*llshit, and I don't break my rules easily. The rules are many times not fun, but I have decided that certain things in life are more important to me. I live my life pursuing those values, and in return, I'm actually often in a very good mood.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    lawful neutral: i obey the law, i've never broken it nor would i consider breaking it. i certainly not evil and i'm too lazy to do good :)
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Like @RomulanPaladin says, only a complete moron would openly describe themselves as evil (present company excluded!). Like some others have mentioned above, the most prevalent form of evil in our world, I think, is wanton self-interest.

As far as BG is concerned I could never grasp why any evil character would be upset at a high reputation (which in the game implies lawful/good), seeing as the 'highest' forms of evil can often be achieved under the cloak of benevolence (in other words, by being universally admired you get wealth, glory, women, children if you're Jimmy Saville, etc).

As far as real life is concerned, I could never work out whether lawful meant an adherence to social law or to God's law. They are largely the same, but they do sometimes conflict. Is it simply the case that if you've never done anything you could be arrested for, your lawful? And if you say God's law is what's lawful, then goodness is almost always an intrinsic part of that. In that case, you couldn't be good without being lawful. It's also worth mentioning that American and British justice systems are heavily influenced by elements of Christianity.

Naturally you might respond by asking, what about those who don't believe in God? That makes them either chaotic (because they reject the highest law), or lawful if it's the case that social law is the only true form of law, or if you're of the sociological persuasion that God and His law are simply a social construction. But in that case there's doubt, two reasonable individuals might be in conflict as to what lawfulness actually is. Surely what differentiates questions of lawfulness from questions of questions of good, is that the former is an objective(ish) scale.

Another position might be that lawfulness is measured by the prevailing social trend. So for example, someone who assists a persecuted minority, despite it being illegal, might be chaotic, but is good. But then we return to the question about the connection between lawfulness and goodness. You might equally argue that everyone in the previous example who follows that law is chaotic, because that is not a right law, for reasons of being tyrannical, persecutory, unjust etc.

I might have changed from neutral good to netural evil writing this, seeing as you poor souls will have to suffer this eyesore of a post...
  • stkayestkaye Member Posts: 22

I've never done good things
    I've never done bad things
    I never did anything out of the blue ...

This may very well be my favorite comment in the whole forum. At the very least, it was the axe I wanted to break the ice...
    Baby... I've been... breaking glass in your room again...

Chaotic Good, me. Like a lot of other folks, it would seem.
    edited November 2012

As far as BG is concerned I could never grasp why any evil character would be upset at a high reputation (which in the game implies lawful/good), seeing as the 'highest' forms of evil can often be achieved under the cloak of benevolence (in other words, by being universally admired you get wealth, glory, women, children if you're Jimmy Saville, etc).

I don't think it's the reputation that they're complaining about, it's the means in which you acquired that reputation. You get reputation by saving innocents, donating to churches, refusing rewards for help, etc. To an evil character, these things would all be repugnant wastes of resources and time that could be used better if kept. The weak are doomed anyhow; no point in feeding their parasitic tenancies.

I'm LN and don't think like that, not evil, honest!

Chaotic Good, me. Like a lot of other folks, it would seem.

Yeah, we'll see. I've got my LN eye on all of you "Chaotic Good" people...