Skip to content

BGEE Mod Compatibility Thread

Comments

• PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited December 2012
    While it's not exactly a mod, i feel like you should post links and info on Shadowkeeper on the OP. It's a really popular tool for tweaking the game ( a lot of threads already speak of it), and it's not really working - for now - without a few manual modifications.
    Number one link should be, imho, this one :
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7205/getting-shadowkeeper-to-work-with-bgee/p1
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    CamDawg said:

The sphere system was one of my cleverer bits of coding, if I do say myself. The broad outlines:

Alter the usability of every divine spell so that they're unusable by everyone. If they're flagged as usable by druids, for example, they automatically get added to the druid spellbook at level-up, which we needed to prevent.

Next, build bits-of-CLAB based on spheres. So, we'd build a text file for, say, the major plant sphere full of stuff like GA_SPPR105 to grans Entangle to druids/clerics with the right access. (This was also done so that this system could be extended to non-DR kits--i.e. someone else could built a new cleric kit, detect that Divine Remix was installed, and run the same step as below to set up the proper spellbook.)

Then we look at a kit's sphere access and start appending these bits-of-CLAB together into a CLAB file that contains the regular kit abilities plus a whole bunch of lines that rebuild the priest's spellbook through these GA_SPPR105 bits. In the regular BG2 engine, using this mechanism would force a spell into a priest's spellbook even though it was technically (per the file) not allowed to them.

So does that make DR very difficult to update for BG:EE ? or is it just me that's so retarded about modding that I can't figure out stuff like that ? =p

• BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    Anyone else noticed that the Gibberlings Three modding site is suspended? What is this about? This was my go-to modding site!
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, we're running off our backup mirror while we sort out some site issues. Sorry for the problems, everyone.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @CamDawg
    Do you perchance know if the Paladins of Faerun Kitpack would still work on a updated Divine Remix version for BG:EE, or be outright incompatible? It would be a shame to lose such fine kits, especially since the probability of seeing an BG:EE version of the Kitpack is very much nonexistent at the moment. :/
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, we're running off our backup mirror while we sort out some site issues. Sorry for the problems, everyone.

Why is the site suspended ?:O

• neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196

@CamDawg
    Do you perchance know if the Paladins of Faerun Kitpack would still work on a updated Divine Remix version for BG:EE, or be outright incompatible? It would be a shame to lose such fine kits, especially since the probability of seeing an BG:EE version of the Kitpack is very much nonexistent at the moment. :/

I didn't know about this kit pack and just looked at it... they were compatible to divine remix so if DR is updated for BG:EE, those kits should be pretty easy to update so no worries here (you'll just have to find someone with the skills to do it ^^)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @CamDawg Some more testing:

Vedran's Lost Items - Installs without errors, all components seemingly work except for the monk bonuses (also several of the side components are made obsolete by BG2 Tweaks).

Thalantyr Item Upgrade - Installs without errors, appears to be working.
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    @CamDawg
    I'm having trouble finding the posts, but I understand you are updating BG1 NPC Project. I am very interested and have a request. In the spirit of the new romances in BG:EE, can you remove the racial restrictions on Dynaheir and Branwen? Also, the updated BG2 Tweaks, does that allow concurrent romances with the added mod romances and Neera? Thanks!
    @Jedi_Gnome It's not CamDawg handling the BG1 NPC Project, but @cmorgan.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863

Besides, I believe at present Infinity Animations is not compatible with BG:EE

I believe most mods are incompatible with BG:EE and it is not realistic to expect compatibility anytime soon for the larger mods. In fact the only one I've heard of being compatible is BG2 Tweaks but I haven't kept up to date (though I guess there are a handful of others in the OP but fairly obscure ones). I would in fact be very surprised if BG Mini-Quests and Encounters worked as it was intended due to all the dialogue changes.

• Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2012
    @Shin
    Oh, Thanks. I thought I saw CamDawg responding.

@cmorgan
    I understand you are updating BG1 NPC Project. I am very interested and have a request. In the spirit of the new romances in BG:EE, can you remove the racial restrictions on Dynaheir and Branwen? Also, the updated BG2 Tweaks, does that allow concurrent romances with the added mod romances and Neera? Thanks!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Miloch said:

I would in fact be very surprised if BG Mini-Quests and Encounters worked as it was intended due to all the dialogue changes.

You'll never forgive me for altering the game text, right?
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863

You'll never forgive me for altering the game text, right?

Rofl, probably not. :P (For the record, some of it had to be altered, some didn't.) But this doesn't really have to do with altering specific strings, but actual altering of dialog.dlg files which can cause structural incompatibilities with the way modded dialogue is implemented. BG1 NPC Project will have a lot of hurdles to overcome in that regard as well.
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    can u please tell me, if the following mods r compatible with bgee or how to make them work with bgee:

unfinished business + 1ppv4. thank you
    @faceless1963 Unfinished Business for BG1 seems fairly compatible as of v13. It doesn't update the journal properly and all features have yet to be tested, but it installs properly and so far several features are confirmed as working.

Base 1pp features are already included in BG:EE. For features not included, I very much doubt 1ppv4 can be installed on top of the EE, and don't know of any workarounds for this.
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    thx a lot for the quick answer :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    CamDawg said:

that backup mirror has very old versions of the mods

@Shin @faceless1963 - To my knowledge, most (if not all) 1PPv4 resources are actually found within the game's files. Some of them, such as extended color palette, BG1 shields, flaming swords, paperdolls, new helmets, softer spell effects, etc. are also implemented; the others are merely there as unused resources for modders to meddle with if they like. Hence, it is possible to restore them; I just have no idea how to do that (then again, I'm no modder).
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    MacReady, creator of the HardTimes mod, hasn't taken the plunge of buying BGEE yet, though I hope he will and update the HardTimes.

He has this question to ask: "Has Beamdog published any specs in terms of how their edition differs from BG1 from a modding perspective?" (http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=28242)

Anyone care to answer here? I'll keep him (and you all) informed.
    @Son_of_Imoen - The answer to his questione is nope, but many modders being beta testers, they could easily updated him on the matter.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    Whenever the name Infinity Animations is used, i have wracking pains of nostalgia on my back.

Ouch! There it goes again! >_>

Oh well.
    Whenever the word "nostalgia" is used, I ... wait a second...
    @AndreaColombo Ah, that's good news - I hadn't gotten around to testing things like softer spell effects and improved projectiles yet.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    @Mornmagor @AndreaColombo

The word "Nostalgia" has one of the most beautiful etymologies I know. It literally means "the pain of homecoming" in Greek.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, indeed, it's awesome.

Nostos = return (or homecoming)

Algos = pain

It's basically the pain from the unsatisfied wish of homecoming.

(Greek here).

But Infinity Animations mod always reminds me of the ability to use the BG1 sprites in BG2 or BGT, when i wasn't playing vanilla BG1.

An ability that unfortunetely does not exist with BG:EE.

And no, i'm not yet tired of whining about it -.-

Indeed, Nostalgia is the perfect word for it.
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2012
    Shin said:

@faceless1963 Unfinished Business for BG1 seems fairly compatible as of v13. It doesn't update the journal properly and all features have yet to be tested, but it installs properly and so far several features are confirmed as working.

Base 1pp features are already included in BG:EE. For features not included, I very much doubt 1ppv4 can be installed on top of the EE, and don't know of any workarounds for this.

A bit confused here. Are we waiting on v14, or should we dig in with v13? All previous post +OP point to wait, but this post has me juiced.

Thanks for all the work and the updates in this post. I would be lost without this thread and your work.

• callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2012
    Mornmagor said:

Yeah, indeed, it's awesome.

(Greek here).

Not Greek, but I have a degree in Latin and Greek philology (as one can see from my nick)...

Shin said:

A bit confused here. Are we waiting on v14, or should we dig in with v13? All previous post +OP point to wait, but this post has me juiced.

Thanks for all the work and the updates in this post. I would be lost without this thread and your work.

It depends on your sense of adventure and perfectionism I'd say. Go ahead if you're happy with the main features, i.e. most of the events working as they are supposed to, but also ready to accept a risk of unforseen errors and related journal entries not updating accordingly.

If you want everything to be more polished and more thoroughly tested before you're ready to install it, then wait for v14.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    anyone have these files sitting around since @gibberlings3 is down?

Sword Coast Stratagems II (SCSII (scsII-v21.exe)
    Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS (scs-v21.exe)
    Item Randomiser: (randomiser-v68.exe)