Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2012
    Earthling said:

2) Set compatibility mode to Windows 95 for BGEE\Data\00766\Baldur.exe

Did you install the drivers as well or just set to Win95 compatibility mode?

• Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Earthling said:

I can't believe it, but this actually worked for me. The games runs quite smooth now. Thank you, @bg_secret_lover!
    For me it's close. For me the game defiantly still feels laggy (particularly when spells are being cast: I noticed this during the ambush), but it's substantially better than what it was at previously. With any luck, we'll have the solution perfected in the not too long future.

Regardless, thanks bg_secret_lover!!
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    I also switched compatibility to windows 95, and while lag was still an issue and movies were still too slow to view, performance significantly improved (just not enough in my case to be playable). Seems to be something there. I'm attempting to play on a Toshiba Satellite with Intel HD Graphics. In my case I can't find newer drivers via the links posted here.
    I tried installing the driver for my chipset, but its telling me "Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer." ie Dell. Which I belive I already have.
    Im running Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Something else you can try is the following: in your baldur.ini file, located in your My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder, modify the part after INSERT INTO options ROWS ( to reflect the following:

Worked for me. Thanks.
  • bg_secret_loverbg_secret_lover Member Posts: 8

I tried installing the driver for my chipset, but its telling me "Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer." ie Dell. Which I belive I already have.
    Im running Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Try go to Dell.com and obtain the latest video drivers by your service tag or laptop model. You should have the tag on the bottom of your laptop.

I haven't had the situation like this and Dell's drivers were outdated for me, but just try.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2012
    What really frustrates me is that we're just hearing this now. By the sounds of it the BG:EE team knew full well there would be significant problems for quite a few of the potential customers, yet we were assured that BG:EE would run fine. Not even a hint of this possibility.

I also switched compatibility to windows 95, and while lag was still an issue and movies were still too slow to view, performance significantly improved (just not enough in my case to be playable). Seems to be something there. I'm attempting to play on a Toshiba Satellite with Intel HD Graphics. In my case I can't find newer drivers via the links posted here.

Me too. I'm still getting severe lag on that setting, even if it is an improvement over the default settings. My graphics says 'Integrated Intel Mobile 4 series'.
  • bg_secret_loverbg_secret_lover Member Posts: 8
    I would recommend everyone to try the GLDirect that @killy mentioned before. I will also try it for my laptop a bit later.

Also, note how big is your CPU when your BG is laggy and you run it without compatibility mode. If you set compatibility to Win95 it will cut down CPU to a half what you have had before and therefore it will be less laggy. So if you have any programs running while you are trying to play, shut them down.
    I found the updated drivers on the Dell site, no real change with the lag though.
  • LemonLemon Member Posts: 3
    Refund PC version purchase so I can wait for iPad to come out?
  • I've had issues with "Verification failed due to server error" for two whole days now. I've tried everything. Hooked my PC up to a network, a wireless network, disabled firewall, checked with ISP that it doesn't disallow P2P. I've installed it on both my drives without luck. It's an issue with both Beamdog client and BG:EE client.

There's no malware on my PC, and it works perfectly fine on my PC at work... It must be something that's wrong with my laptop. I've posted a ticket, and now I'm waiting for Beamdog to help me out. In the meantime, I'd like to know. Is there anybody out there, stuck at

"Verification failed due to server error" on both Beamdog and BG:EE?
    I'm gonna have a bash at installing the chipsets from the links in the OP. Does anyone know if they're easy to uninstall in case I don't have any luck with them? Or would I need to simply re-install Intel's own chipset to override them?
  • I have the same tool bar in the screen shots but it won't let me play the game after I click the play button on the loader and I don't know why it won't let me play the game
  • I just hopes this get fixed soon =(
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    The game runs fine for me except movies run extra slow and there is no sound? Are there any sound drivers/files that I should check to see if they are missing? I had to manually install OpenAL32.dll Is there any other .dll I should have to get the sound to work?
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I experience the same lagging problems as so many others, the game is unplayable as it is. In the Black Pits as soon as the animations kick in, the lag is too severe. The intro video runs frame by frame. Also if I Alt+Tab to go to another Windows program, I cannot get back into the BG:EE window. Colors and sound seem to work fine.

I am running Windows-XP on laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @2.53GHz, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

I have tried changing compatibility to Windows 95 for BGE.exe, when I do this the game does not launch at all. I have tried updating the graphics driver directly from Intel, think I found the correct file, but when I run the setup it tells me that my machine does not have the requirements to install the software.

• SteStormSteStorm Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem as a lot of you guys severelagg in game and main intro was frame by frame,got game to work by changing the ini file then right clicking the game icon then changing run with graphics proccesor to High preformance NVIDIA prossecor...game worked fine then

Im on a dell laptop with a I7 core and a Nvidia 525m card.Hope this helps anyone with similer probs
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    Using GL Mode to 1
    full screen

exe compatibility mode to win95
    Affinity to CPU default (probably affinity to CPU 0 only will make things better on battles)
    Thread Priority Real time (high should suffice)

Playable on 945 Intel Chipset , with Core2Duo at 1.66Ghz, with 1.5GB RAM

Old 4:3 lappy

Gl to Dx driver stated on this thread does not work in this config, plus it's a 21 day trial

a DirextX path for the game, it's the whay to go.
    Intel OpenGL support is poor to say at least

I hope devs find OpenGl -> Dx migration not much painful
  • AtumAtum Member Posts: 9
    hey, i have dell alienware m17x with geforce gtx 260m. i tried already set the compability mode to win95 but it doesnt help.

i receive a crash after trying to start bg ee:

Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: baldur.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 0.1.0.0
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 50b66b64
    Fehlermodulname: ntdll.dll
    Fehlermodulversion: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4ec49b8f
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00033ab3
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

any solutions?
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    Atum said:

hey, i have dell alienware m17x with geforce gtx 260m. i tried already set the compability mode to win95 but it doesnt help.

i receive a crash after trying to start bg ee:

Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: baldur.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 0.1.0.0
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 50b66b64
    Fehlermodulname: ntdll.dll
    Fehlermodulversion: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4ec49b8f
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00033ab3
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

any solutions?

dont use comp mode to win85 leave it alone
    set on nvidia options the game to high performance nvidia adapter
    always run the game as admin so you rule out account issues
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    geting the same. PPl say it may help to update drivers, havent tried it myself yet.
  • NinjaScientificNinjaScientific Member Posts: 5
    RogueJK said:

Turin said:

The game seems to work mostly fine but the gameplay is very lagged (less than half the speed it should be or something?) and the intro movie is even slower. Is anyone else having problems with the intro movie as well? I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly yet.

I tried the proposed .ini-fix but it doesn't do anything.

My experience exactly. The game launches fine, but has an unwatchable intro video and lagged gameplay, especially during combat. There was no improvement with the .ini addition.

I'm running it on a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and an Mobile Intel 4 Series Express video card.
    This is identical to my problem.
    Turin said:

@bg_secret_lover Thank you so much! This didn't solve all problems (videos are still weird and I *think* the gameplay is still a little slower than it's supposed to be) but a massive improvement! Thanks for sharing!

So it appears that updating the drivers and running in Windows 95 Compatibility mode helps, though I've yet to try it as I'm at work now. I'll post again this evening with some comments on this.
  • AtumAtum Member Posts: 9
    ibitato said:

dont use comp mode to win85 leave it alone
    set on nvidia options the game to high performance nvidia adapter
    always run the game as admin so you rule out account issues

doesnt help. i already run as admin, and changed for bg ee the option for highest performance at the 3d - options window
    Is there any way to launch the game once you've turned the compatibility to W95? for me, nothing happens no matter how I launch it.
  • sandstrom91sandstrom91 Member Posts: 3
    So, working better for me right now

Here's my setup: windows xp with intel 965 express family chipset

Here's how I did it: Changed the .ini settings Nathan posted on page 2.

Went into the 00766 folder that's in baldur's gate enhanced edition > data

Right clicked the baldur.exe, properties, compability, change to win 95 and disable visual themes (think that's what it's called, running XP Swedish version -.-)

Video is still laggy but made most of the in game lag disappear. Haven't tried the driver updates yet.
    ibitato said:

a DirextX path for the game, it's the whay to go.
    Intel OpenGL support is poor to say at least

I saw @TrentOster saying something similar to that in another thread. Does anybody have a clue as to how long something like that may take?
  • QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22
    @sandstorm91
    @Nathan

Can confirm that on a HP EliteBook 2730p; Win 7 64bit; Mobile Intel GMA X4500 HD.

Video still choppy, but most in-game lag gone.

(1) \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini set to:
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

(2) \Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\Baldur.exe set to:
    Properties > Compatibility
    - Run in compatibility mode for: Windows 95
    - Disable visual themes
    - Disable desktop composition
    - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

(3) no further tweaks to drivers applied

Not ideal, but at least I can get my party from A to B without dozing off.
    @Quaestor: did exactly that. Cannot launch game. Double click on .exe, on BG:EE icon or via Start>Programs and nothing happens.
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    I'm very disappointed about this lag :(.

Earthling said:

Did you install the drivers as well or just set to Win95 compatibility mode?

I try all but the only soluce is to take windows 95 compatibility for gameplay...for play video in game no solutions :(
    My PC is windows 7 32 bits
    Graphics Driver
    Product Detected Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.1872
    A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.
    But sony haven't any new driver :(
    I can play BG1, BG2, IWD1 IWD2 et neverwinter nights1 et 2 without problem...but BGEE no...
    I'm very sad :(

• MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2012

Went into the 00766 folder that's in baldur's gate enhanced edition > data

Right clicked the baldur.exe, properties, compability, change to win 95 and disable visual themes (think that's what it's called, running XP Swedish version -.-)

Video is still laggy but made most of the in game lag disappear. Haven't tried the driver updates yet.

I also have Windows XP and apparently "Intel® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets" (according to Intel detection).

Using the Win95 compatibility and disabling visual themes as described above by @sandstrom91 did the trick for me too. Videos don't work (very slow and choppy, noise instead of sounds) but the game seems to be playable now with only minor visual glitching. Although I haven't tried a massive combat situation yet.

HINT FOR ADDED PERFORMANCE:

I like to use Razer Game Booster when I'm gaming with my laptop (which is definitely not optimized for gaming). It shuts down unneeded processes to allow the game to use the maximum resources possible. I didn't put a link here because I'm not sure where I downloaded my own version, but just google it. I like it a lot (and am not paid to say so ;)