Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Sadly I've tried all those options mentioned in this thread and I only noticed marginal improvements at best and some leave me in a worse position than when I started.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

So after having played it for a little while, although the Win95 compatibility mode does speed up the game, any resource-heavy effects (water, spells) and large amounts of 'on-screen activity' cause horrific levels of lagging.

The compatability is a poor-man's solution to this problem, although it does make the game playable. you just have to be patient during combat engagements I suppose.

Hrrrm, very frustrating.

I also tried to disable 3D and use backwards copmatible 3d on the ini file, but
    the game keeps reverting values to 1.

yes, we'd have to wait until devs to somthing about it
    edited November 2012
    also, I did change:

x and y res to my laptop res,
    use full screen = 0
    window maxmized = 1
    max frames to 60 (this one pretty sure it does nothing (yet) but hey just in case)

this seems to help a little bit on the lag, aside from the win95 trick
    so i play on a maximized window on the laptop, plus:
    opengl to 1
    compat mode to w95, all the desktop/erc gizmos utrned off
    cpy affinity to 0
    process priority to high
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624

So after having played it for a little while, although the Win95 compatibility mode does speed up the game, any resource-heavy effects (water, spells) and large amounts of 'on-screen activity' cause horrific levels of lagging.

The compatability is a poor-man's solution to this problem, although it does make the game playable. you just have to be patient during combat engagements I suppose.

Hrrrm, very frustrating.

Hmmm... not good news. Might require an Half-Orc Fighter with 19/18/19 to blitz through combat. Unfortunately I like my playthroughs to be magic intensive...
  • sledgefangsledgefang Member Posts: 42
    I have yet to receive any problems with my game. I am running a Windows 8 32 bit with Intel I7 @ 2.67hz with NVidia 9800 GTX
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    This is really frustrating. I am no computer wizard. I see no graphics option in the game and no separate config program like the old ones had to turn off 3d drivers or whatever (it might as well be Greek to me). Looks like I'll try my other computer, but as far as my laptop goes, this has been a waste of money. SUCK

This is really frustrating. I am no computer wizard. I see no graphics option in the game and no separate config program like the old ones had to turn off 3d drivers or whatever (it might as well be Greek to me). Looks like I'll try my other computer, but as far as my laptop goes, this has been a waste of money. SUCK

give the devs a chance :D
    This initiative is good enough to bring back many many ppl to good games like BG
    patiente is a virtue ;)
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    BGEE works for me.

AMD Radeon HD7970, AMD FX8350 overclocked, 16GB RAM, Windows 8 Professional 64bit -- all up to date drivers. Vanilla PC otherwise -- that is, no "special" setup tricks. Info FWIW.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    kamuizin said:

@AHF i had the same issue with fallout, never could play the game in reason of that.

Did you tried to mess a bit with your video card configuration? At the risk of saying bullshit, try to change the Vertical Sync, the Texture FIltering options, Antianalising options (gamma correction mainly maybe).

It's a suggestion based on NVIDIA card configuration options, so give a try for a fast solution. Just test one each time, change the settings and start the game, if it doesn't fix, undo the change and change something else.

@kamuizin

I adjusted all the 3D settings one at a time without any result.

Here is the panel where I tried every individual variation (not combinations):

I don't see anything on gama 'correction' per se anywhere but there is a gamma setting as below.

Under the display tab, the general settings let me adjust:

Resolution
    Color Depth
    Refresh Rate
    Rotation
    Scaling

There is a color enhance page with these options:

Brightness (set 0)
    Contrast (set 50)
    Gamma (set 1.0)
    Hue (set 0)
    Saturation (set 0)

Any thoughts on further adjustments? The gamma setting (if so, increase or decrease)? Thanks very much.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I haver connected my laptop to a deck, plugged-in an external monitor and disabled laptop's built-in screen. I am still testing the game but things seem to be further improved. Instability is almost gone, no more crashes, Alt+tab to other apps works fine, speed is fine, movies still a little choppy but much less. So it could be that there is something specific between Intel Graphics Card and the (low)-quality of some laptop built-in monitors that screw things up.
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    This probably isn't related, but did anyone tried to turn off DirectDraw in dxdiag, or better yet installing this (if it's even possible): http://bitpatch.com/downloads/ie-ddrawfix.zip ?
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    So I assume the issue was known about long ago. Why wasn't it announced before? So that we could prepare.
  • huyholyfirehuyholyfire Member Posts: 1
    AHF said:

Ignatius said:

AHF said:

Is this something you do in the control panel or in the properties file for Baldur.exe? Sorry for the tech ignorance!

AHF, go over the file Baldur.exe, right-click, select "Properties", then go in the Compatibility section and set it to Windows 95 (+ tick the other options as indicated in posts above).
    I switched it but to no avail. The strange graphic remains:

Hi there I got same problem like your problem but I've fixed it so if you still got this video bug,you can fix this = active OpenGL mode in Baldur.ini by adding "OpenGL version" in Baldur.ini so this look like :

(1) \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini set to:

INSERT INTO options ROWS ( 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

---> Save it and start the game.
  • TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23

I just tried altering my baldur.ini file, to no avail, still ridiculous lag.

Same situation. Ironically, I actually posted in these forums back in September asking about this issue: by and large, the community consensus was that it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, while my Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family could handle IWD2 and the BGT Trilogy, it can't seem to handle BG EE.

Like Nathan said, this really sucks: I don't have the money to buy myself a newer laptop, so it seems that I'm stuck not getting the chance to play BG EE.
    Yea, I have a brand new alienware laptop that won't play it. The problem does not seem to be on the laptops end. I have downloaded and edited everything everyone has suggested. Then eliminated everything and tried again from scrap. Still not working for me.
  • Richter1248Richter1248 Member Posts: 1

So I assume the issue was known about long ago. Why wasn't it announced before? So that we could prepare.

I second that statement. Day of launch is not the time to announce something like this. Such a buzzkill :(

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I was experimenting on a G35, which is much older than most. The game looks fine, it was just a little slow. I turned up the keyboard and mouse scroll speeds and other than clunk character animation, it played OK.

When I started to force texture compression and lowered texture color depth and bit depth buffer, i started getting anomalies like you are seeing.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

By the sound of some posts they seem to acknowledge they knew full well this would happen for some. Much like the last minute delay two months ago, I can't help but feel this warranted a much more open and transparent communication with the fans and possible consumer.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    so do you think problems are not due to pc , but is a technical problem of the game? i try all like all of you. nothing change...
  • CaptainConorCaptainConor Member Posts: 39
    The trick suggested by Baldur_gate_lover seemed to work for mine, at least to a decent extent. Issues still present upon spell casting, melee combat seems unaffected. Will try Hamachi Multiplayer to assess functionality.
  • RawiRawi Member Posts: 7
    I have Intel graphics (along with 2nd gen i7 proc) and NVidia 550M. Even when I was forcing usage of nvidia card (I could see hardware led indicating that nvidia is in use) I still experienced issues.

However, after updating intel drivers to the latest 15.28.8.64.2875 the game now works fine on both cards, even on intel !
  • TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    @vibrantcathode

PLEASE for the love of all that is holy help me! What did you do? What did you see Vibrantcathode!
  • NinjaprincessNinjaprincess Member Posts: 1
    Found bypass sort of, it skips all the usual intro stuff when starting a game, and goes straight to main menu. My game as well kept crashing and would not start but this seems to work.

right click the game icon and open file location, click data, then 00766, and in there you will see a file just labeled baldur, double click that. on occasion it will not work the 1st time but usually will the second. once it starts i have had 0 problems, no lag, no graphics issues nothing.

Hope this helps guys.

Also my computer is
    Alienware
    uses 2 graphics cards
    both integrated intel card
    and nvidia gforce

running on widows 7

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    I can't believe this... as I mentioned previously I have a netbook with Intel 3150 on board and the game was absolutely unplayable! So slow. I tried to imrpove performance a bit and... well I caused my windows not to get back after restart. I got angry and installed ubuntu and to my suprise not only BG:EE works under wine, but it works better! Full speed! I didn't play much but first 2 minutes are flawless.

Screenshot:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/zrzutekranuz20121129184.png
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Nathan said:

@Oxford_Guy unfortunately, yes this is to be expected in Windows. It will run smoothly under the Mac native version - Apple has finer control over their drivers and we experienced no problems with the Intel hardware under Mac OSX. In this case, I'm using a 2011 Macbook Pro with an integrated Intel 3000ish chipset coupled with an AMD Radeon Mobility - in Mac OSX I saw no issues thus far.

@Nathan - thinking about it, that doesn't mean there won't be issues with Mac's that *only* have Intel graphic, though, as doesn't the AMD chip kick in for the 3D stuff on your computer? Can anyone confirm that a Mac with *only* Intel 4000 (or even 3000) graphics will run smothly with the current Mac OS X native version of BGEE?
  • NinjaScientificNinjaScientific Member Posts: 5
    ibitato said:

also, I did change:

use full screen = 0
    window maxmized = 1
    max frames to 60 (this one pretty sure it does nothing (yet) but hey just in case)

opengl to 1
    cpy affinity to 0
    process priority to high

I got lost at cpy affinity and process priority. I can't find these options, where are they?

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

AHF said:

Ignatius said:

AHF said:

Is this something you do in the control panel or in the properties file for Baldur.exe? Sorry for the tech ignorance!

AHF, go over the file Baldur.exe, right-click, select "Properties", then go in the Compatibility section and set it to Windows 95 (+ tick the other options as indicated in posts above).
    I switched it but to no avail. The strange graphic remains:

Hi there I got same problem like your problem but I've fixed it so if you still got this video bug,you can fix this = active OpenGL mode in Baldur.ini by adding "OpenGL version" in Baldur.ini so this look like :

(1) \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini set to:

INSERT INTO options ROWS ( 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

---> Save it and start the game.
    @huyholyfire

I wish I could like this post about 100x more! Thanks so much!

ibitato said:

also, I did change:

use full screen = 0
    window maxmized = 1

opengl to 1
    cpy affinity to 0
    process priority to high

I got lost at cpy affinity and process priority. I can't find these options, where are they?

you need to run the game, alt-tab
    open process manager (right click on the task bar and choose)
    in processes look for baldur.exe right click and you have both options there
    they will stick every time you run the game you only need to do it once
  • NinjaScientificNinjaScientific Member Posts: 5
    ibitato said:

ibitato said:

also, I did change:

use full screen = 0
    window maxmized = 1

opengl to 1
    cpy affinity to 0
    process priority to high

you need to run the game, alt-tab
    open process manager (right click on the task bar and choose)
    in processes look for baldur.exe right click and you have both options there
    they will stick every time you run the game you only need to do it once
    Thanks! I have also had some success with turning down the graphics options in the baldur.ini

Set the following in the ini file to improve performance slightly:

'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '10' ,
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '1',

I have also tried

'Program Options', 'Backwards Compatible 3d', '1',

but I'm not sure if this last one makes any difference. Note that with Area Effects Density you can set any number from 0-100 I think (it is a percentage, I believe) so a lower number makes for faster performance when area effect spells are in play.