Skip to content

Can't start the game (Windows 7)

2»

Comments

• agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    mrjane said:

I tried the moving the folder thing and that didn't work. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but I'm glad it worked out for you. Hmm...

1 - Permissions
    2 - A bug with program files (x86) path.
  • KaldaienKaldaien Member Posts: 17
    tooscary said:

Search for your computer for atioglxx.dll- if thats what eventlog is showing as a faulty component. I found this in repository of older drivers I gues - might indicate the version of it. By copying to windows\system32 the game FINALLY RUNS (cant tab to windows though ... I can, but cant get back to game ... but thats a minor setback considering i wasnt able to run it at all).

That is a truly horrific fix, as a professional graphics engine developer. I can tell you precisely what that DLL is, it is the 32-bit user-mode OpenGL front-end for Windows Vista; in a nutshell, it's a sort of OpenGL mini driver. The thing is, the driver install package should always install the latest version in the proper location. This leads me to believe that what you have _ACTUALLY_ done here is use an old OpenGL driver.

I would be curious to know what Catalyst version the DLL corresponds to, and if simply putting that DLL in your Baldur's Gate folder would accomplish the same thing? I would always advise against putting anything in System32 unless you _really_ know what you're doing.

• BiowraithBiowraith Member Posts: 1
    Short version: Had a similar problem, and what worked for me was running oalinst from within the SysWOW64 folder (apparently having OpenAL32.dll in the system32 folder wasn't enough), and then selecting "Run in 256 colors" in the Baldur.exe compatibility tab.

Long version:
    I had a similar problem to others in this thread - I'm running Windows 7 (64bit) and when I clicked play from the launcher (standalone installation) nothing happened. No error messages, no starting to launch then crash, just nothing (I couldn't even see the main program appear briefly in the task manager, though perhaps it was just too fast).

When I tried launching from the Baldur.exe in the 00766 folder, it gave me an error about OpenAL32.dll not being installed. I tried running the installation program from the creative site, but it made no difference, I still got the error message - and checking the system32 folder showed that the dll was definitely there (and may well have been before I ran the install). But having read elsewhere about the SySWOW64 folder I checked there too - no dll, but there was a copy of the installation file.. so I ran that, and it created a copy of the dll in SySWOW64.

After that, the game started launching :)

...except, the graphics were all flickering to hell - it was as if when it transitioned from one screen to another it didn't properly clear the first screen and just tried to show them both at once, flickering between them. Not remotely playable. I tried ticking various things in the Compatibility tab of Baldur.exe's properties and of them all, it was selecting "Run in 256 colors" that did the trick (doesn't seem to matter whether I run as administrator or in compatibility mode) - I am now able to play :) Although only in full-screen; if I try to run it windowed the colours are, well, limited to 256 of them I guess - it does not look good at all. I may mess about with forcing settings in my graphics card, but to be honest I would have been playing it full screen anyway, so this works for me.
  • JeivarJeivar Member Posts: 53
    Well, I tried moving the 766 folder to C like some people have suggested, but then the launcher switches from "play" to "preload complete".
  • forgotten_wolfforgotten_wolf Member Posts: 28
    don't launch from the launcher, click on baldurs gate.exe in the 766 folder
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    It seems like the faulty file for me is ntdll.dll, coming from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll (as it says in the log when I try to launch the game)
    The idea to change compatibility and set Privilege level has been done, and not working. Any idea?
  • ArmenfrastArmenfrast Member Posts: 2
    where is this 00766 folder ? I can't find it.
  • DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012

where is this 00766 folder ? I can't find it.

right click on the game in the beamdog game client and choose "open game location" and it'll take you there
  • TrappistTrappist Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, i have the same problem, click start and nothing happens.

Downloader crashed when it was "Finishing" so that might be it, but i'm relucatant to delete and start again. Cant remove cos add/remove programs doesnt find the BGEE files.

Should the game install after down load? Mine didnt do that yet the deamdog client says im ready to play.

One more observation (Windows 7) - I looked in my documents/baldurs gate enhanced folder to edit the baldur.ini file and... nothing there. Am i being silly or is that the problem we are all having, no ini file?

Help!

ty.
  • kverdonkverdon Member Posts: 27
    Same situation here. I'm not getting a baldur.ini file created either. I've installed the game 3 times now and I've never gotten a baldur.ini file created
  • CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    The INI file and folders associated do not get created until you can successfully launch the application. I have never seen them either, but that's another issue all together.

Good luck!
  • SinisterChrisPSinisterChrisP Member Posts: 4
    Any updates on this? I see numerous threads but no definitive workaround yet. Opening iTunes, updating drivers, moving directories, Admin mode, compatibility modes... None of that has worked so far :(

Running Alienware MX17R2 with Radeon HD 5800 on Windows 7 64-Bit.

The Windows Event viewer keeps saying the crash is related to a dll:

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
  • kverdonkverdon Member Posts: 27
    What finaly worked for me was.

1. Moving the game to C:\Games\00766
    2 .Modifying the compatiblity settings on baldur.exe to:
    a. Compatibilty Mode - WIndows Vista SP1
    b. Checking the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
    c. Checking the box for "Run this program as an administrator"

Even with these changes I have to launch baldur.exe sometimes up to 4 or 5 times before it will start and stay running.

• TrappistTrappist Member Posts: 14
    @kverdon You just acheived hero status in my eyes.

a. Compatibilty Mode - WIndows Vista SP1

that worked.

Thank you
  • KarueKarue Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    So I had the error message, Can not open because openAL32.dll was missing.
    Tried compatibility, all that, nothing worked, still missing file.
    Searched my computer for the file, found it in one of my Everquest folders,
    Copied it into my Baldurs Gate Folder,
    works.

Edit:
    Ha! I lied, I can get to the Game choice screen, then when i click on anything the screen goes black.
    Screw this, I am sick of games not working upon installation. I wanted to try it, but if it isn't going to work
    I am just going to play something else, not worth my time anymore.
    For those of you still having issues, good luck.
  • BENVILHAVENBENVILHAVEN Member Posts: 25
    OpenAL missing is a known issue, the master FAQ has a download link...