Skip to content

Animate Dead - spell effects

IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
I just cast the lvl.3 cleric spell Animate Dead and summoned... a ghast ! I do not remember this happening in BG2, that undead creature is sure a lot more powerful than a skeleton. This could really have a big effect on several battles in BG1.

Does anyone know if it is always a ghast that is summoned? or can you get a skeleton, zombie, ghoul...?

Comments

• ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    edited December 2012
    Straight from the description: This spell creates the lowest of the undead monsters, skeletons or zombies, usually from the bones or bodies of dead humans, demihumans, or humanoids. The spell causes these remains to become animated and obey the simple verbal commands of the caster. The undead remain animated until they are destroyed in combat or are turned; they cannot be dispelled. The caster can animate one skeleton or one zombie for each experience level he has attained.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    It only summons a skeleton warrior when the caster is level 15 or greater. Below that it's lesser undead.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    The in-game spell description says:

This spell causes 1d2 undead monsters to rise and serve the priest under any conditions. One undead servant automatically rises, and there is a 5% chance per level of the caster that another will rise and join the first. At 15th level, the caster will be able to summon a skeleton warrior (only one) instead.

The undead can follow the caster, remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific type of creature) entering the place, etc.. The undead remain animated until they are destroyed in combat, 8 hours pass, or they are turned. This spell cannot be dispelled.

Does not mention skeleton or zombie. I have had my lvl.5 solo Cleric cast it twice, and he got 2 ghasts who in Beregost, very easily disposed of Silke, the party chasing Neera and Landrin's 4 huge spiders.

It only summons a skeleton warrior when the caster is level 15 or greater. Below that it's lesser undead.

Well, that's not what it does in my BG:EE game - unless a ghast is considered "lesser".

I'd consider a ghast to be better than a vanilla crappy skeleton (but less than a skeleton warrior obviously). It stuns on hit and causes disease.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    that spell did strike me as OP as well. it seems to randomly spawn 1 or 2 ghasts at low levels, so casting it 2 or 3 times makes a lot of the early encounters a joke. you can basically clean out mutanins garden in chapter 2.

I'd consider a ghast to be better than a vanilla crappy skeleton (but less than a skeleton warrior obviously). It stuns on hit and causes disease.

Yes it does. As a solo cleric, having 2 ghasts walk next to me for 8 hours is not quite the same as having 2 skeletons. This will make a lot of encounters a lot easier. I do not know whether this is intended, nor whether you always get ghasts or if I was just twice lucky. It might also be related to the level of the caster...?

I believe it's random until you're level 15. Honestly though I haven't used it that much < 15, so maybe someone with serious testing can comment?
    Tested it further and got ghast(s) every time.
    colonel_burger
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    It's supposed to either be 5-10 crappy skeletons (BG1 style), or 1-2 slightly less crappy, but still just spell fodder skeletons (BG2 style). Until 15+ when Big Angry comes out.

While Ghasts are certainly beneficial, they're OP as hell..that's why Tiax is awesome..his special ability summons one.