Skip to content

BGEE Mod Compatibility Thread

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited December 2012 in General Modding
First, in order to even get mods to install while we wait for a new version of WeiDU, follow the instructions in this thread to enable mod installation for Windows and OS X.

I'm hoping to make this a running thread of known (in)compatibilities with BGEE. A lot of this at the beginning will be, unfortunately, trial-and-error and a lot of updating by mod authors. If you should find a problem with a mod, let fellow players know here but more importantly let the mod author know. Mods have readmes with contact information; the mod will never be fixed unless the author is at least aware of the issues.
I'll start us rolling with my own stuff below.

Since BGEE is essentially BG1 content in the BG2 engine, which mod may be appropriate is often unclear, e.g. you should use BG2 Tweaks on BGEE, not BG1 Tweaks.

Stuff You Don't Need

• ToBEx (fixes)
  • BG1 Fixpack
  • BG2 Fixpack (core and core beta)
  • Baldurdash
  • Dudleyville
  • Tutu/EasyTutu and TutuFix
  • BGT or its fixes
  • Widescreen mod
  • One Pixel Productions

Stuff That Works

Stuff That Might Work

Stuff That Partially Works

Stuff Being Worked On for Compatibility

Stuff Confirmed as Not Working

Post edited by Nathan on
mch202ShinlordkimTanthalasZafiroBalquoDeeAkerhonCheesebellyKirinaldoManverusmallerajwzDiscoCatCuvParysIgnojunk11AedanaqzinaJaxsbudgieGodKaiserHellSedMatteoTuriniAlparonSyntia13Rush_that_speakskilroy_was_herePhyraxRerelcolonel_burgerJean_LucIzrealAristilliusMalbortusmacholyJamesMikeMastersSkippyLothringenDragonspearmibblesSinistralKamigoroshiDrugarMoiraLa_VoixSilent_MarkPraemoriorEpitomyofShynessLisandruGraoumfIchigoRXCWardKerthalchickenhedDreskMikePXPKreatur3killeahermoServiusTheBearSluaghAndreaColomboEudaemoniumbboyhoodEtaminButtercheeseLordsDarkKnight185StaglordLediathTuckerSwordsNotWordsWabbitTwaksStargazer5781BaptorBaptorMarcmadPasidiousJason_SilveraindarkkhaineDinsdalePiranhaFluid29AdalbertMazurekBurfiakDrEastRaistlin82VirrenArturArchaicMikaalXivirielQuartzP0dbiOgaburanDarlockDJKajuruGeestkrakerFlameguard27XavioriaCuChoinneachNephridilPadentonRnRClownKilivitzStefanOWillyML4HaHaCharadeLosgornShadowsetzerShapiroKeatsDarkMageKavainlunarfujisaneLDeusCrevsDaakBlackravenmashedtatersChad

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Divine Remix just links back to this thread instead of where its supposed to go.
    xscott71x
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    All the ToBEx functionality is included? What about optional features like removal of the stoneskin colour or removal of attack swings that don't represent actual attacks?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    To go ahead and answer some of the questions about the more popular mods out of the gate:

@cmorgan is a beta tester and is well aware of the demand for a BGEE-friendly version of BG1 NPC. Please don't poke him with sticks.

@DavidW has posted an announcement over on G3 regarding SCS compatibility at launch (short version: he's estimating a new SCS that will work with a tentative timeline of one month.)

BG1 Unfinished Business will need an update.

As for most of the other mods, it simply depends on how much they rely on existing game resources. On the most likely to work end of the spectrum are kit and tweak mods; on the low end are content/quest mods. There's just going to be an adjustment period for everyone as we sort it out.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Shin - About half of ToBEx's fixes have made it into BG:EE so far. Being @Ascension64 a beta tester, I'd rank our chances to see the rest implemented fairly high.
    Shin
    Thanks @Flashburn, I've fixed the link. @Shin, only the fixes from TobEx are included. Since it relies on modification of the executable, it'll probably need a new version and a good look at the new BGEE executable before the other components would work; @Ascension64 would probably be better able to answer those questions.

I've been neck-deep in IWD stuff, BG2 Tweaks and BG2 Fixpack. I'm hoping to round up some of the old BG1 UB crew and get going there as well.
    AndreaColomboShinHaHaCharade
    By the way—this should be made a sticky, too. @Tanthalas?
    TanthalasShin
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @CamDawg Isn't it a little premature to have ToBEx listed under not needed then? That would imply that its full functionality is covered in the EE.
    Medillen
    Good point @Shin; I've updated OP.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    really confused ...will I need to download other things ? me not good with PC's..they hate me ..
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @saffon69 You don't need to download anything. This is optional content made by modders.
    saffon69
    Mods are entirely optional. You can happily play BGEE without downloading anything else.
    saffon69
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    ok ...whats a 'mod' please and no Brighton cracks lol
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @saffon69

You will not need to download other things to play the BGEE core game, besides updates to the game.

This thread is to try and inform people of the user generated content that has been developed over the last decade for BG1 and BG2 (aka mods) that will be compatible with BGEE. And there's really a lot of great stuff out there.
    saffon69Moira
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    @saffron69 mods/modding is slang for modifying an existing game. It's additional content/fixes created by users to enhance the game. They're optional extras.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I'd be willing to pay 10$ if SCS comes out fast as mod or DLC.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Bercon said:

I'd be willing to pay 10$ if SCS comes out fast as mod or DLC.

To whom? If me, don't bother. I don't do this for money, and to be honest academia pays better than independent publishing anyway.

(Mod or DLC? There'll be a mod sooner or later. I'm not at liberty to comment on DLC.)
  • smallersmaller Member Posts: 22
    Huge thanks, by the way, to all the modders and testers, and to the OP for compiling a thread for them!

(All I'm really hoping for right away is that the BG2 TweakPack's romance race/sex requirement removal bit works. :D )
    Dragonspearjflieder
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2012
    Bookmarking this for future reference. Baldur's Gate is one of those games I cannot play without certain mods.

Mods I'm hoping get updated soon:
    -BG1NPC Project
    -BiGG Tweaks
    -Unfinished Business
    -Jarl's BGT Tweak Pack
    Post edited by Heinrich on
    SP Collection is a terrible mod, but as of v9 two minutes ago, it should work fine on BGEE.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    *Girly squeel* IF Divine Remix works i will be horribly ecstatic, i have been begging for my spell spheres and Painbearer since i first learned of the BGEE project

What about Rogue Rebalancing? I know my friend simply hates to touch bards without proper PnP bard song implemented.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    What does "partial" mean re: the Optional But Cool components in the Fixpack? Which aspects should we stay away from?
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Did you add contents from Unfinished Business to the game or do we need to install it as a mod? This mod looks like essential to me.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    UB wasn't included because a lot of its content was user-created, and (if I remember correctly) the authors of the mod couldn't all be contacted to obtain permission to use it.
    IIRC, @Wisp said both aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing would eventually be made BG:EE-compatible, although he did not provide any ETA (and rightfully so, as that's going to be quite a bit of work given the scope of the mods—and aVENGER's not even around until 2013).
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

IIRC, @Wisp said both aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing would eventually be made BG:EE-compatible, although he did not provide any ETA (and rightfully so, as that's going to be quite a bit of work given the scope of the mods—and aVENGER's not even around until 2013).

Thank you!

ETA isn't so important right now, but just knowing that ONE day it will be compatible is enough to make me happy.

My first play-through is going to be 100% vanilla anyway, but i do like to keep updated for future things ^.^
    @DavidW Yeah I get that. Thank you for your hard work!

Does anybody know how DLC and mods work together? If I install some mod and then DLC comes along, does it break the game or saves?
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Bercon said:

Does anybody know how DLC and mods work together? If I install some mod and then DLC comes along, does it break the game or saves?

Most likely you'll want to install DLC on an unmodded game. I don't know for sure how DLC would be implemented, but probably it'll be a destructive overwrite, which will leave a horrible mess if the game's already modded.
    So basically installing DLC means uninstalling everything (or starting with clean install), then installing DLC and finally reinstalling all the mods. I guess in theory this shouldn't break the saves if the DLC doesn't.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Item and Spell Revisions :( ?
    MatteoTurini