Skip to content

Bag of Holding?

begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
Just wondering I'm at BG and so far I've not encountered any. Did they happen to put a bag of holding in BG:EE. Did I miss it some place? Or was there never a Bag of holding to begin with? I know Vanilla never had any.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The BG2 Tweaks mod adds them.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Shin

Yea all ready know about that but thanks Shin. Just wondering if one was added without mods. Is a gem bag all we get for containers/bags for now?
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    Also a bag for scrolls
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @nemesis where did you find the scroll bag?
    I've only found gem bag and potion bag
    @Sed

Where did you find the potion bag?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @begolf00 Thalantyr sells one.
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    My mistake I had meant the potion case
    @Jalily

Thanks
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    Gem Bag - Neera carries it.
    Potion Case - Thalantyr of High Hedge sells one.

I don't think any others are legitimately within the game.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    @quartz should edit your post, he sells a potion bag not a scroll case
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @stygga Oh gosh. Too many people talking about a non-existent Scroll Case, my mind was playing tricks on me. Thanks very much.
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    Man, when I read the note from the master of the Cloakwood Mines about his boss sending him 2 bags of holding, I was getting excited and expected to find at least 1 on his body or in his room. Disappointment :(
    @BlackIvory

Yea lol, I always expect Tazok to have bags of holding on him but alas it was not meant to be.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Bag of holding in BG1 would be quite OP...
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

Why would it be OP? It doesn't confer any particular gameplay advantages, it's just a convenient way to store objects.
    Sceptenar said:

Why would it be OP? It doesn't confer any particular gameplay advantages, it's just a convenient way to store objects.
    This would be OP because strength / item weight carrying capacity would not be a problem anymore.
  • PoputtPoputt Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2012
    I guess it's OP because you can shove a ton of longswords in it.

Wait, am I they only guy who does full playthroughs with Khalid?

EDIT: Can you even do that? I've never used a bag of holding before.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I remember the good old days when I just cheated a mobile merchant when my inventory is full of crap. I always summoned Bernard in bg2 whenever I have shopping needs in the middle of an adventure. If for some reason I needed the crap back, I just paid a "storage fee" to retrieve the item.
    lolien
  • HogfatherHogfather Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2012
    You can hax in a Bag of Holding from the console if you want one enough, is bag34. Depending on your threshold for game modification this may be a bit cheaty though..
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I don't consider inventory management fun or challenging, and a Bag of Holding does not impart any special mechanical advantages, so I always give myself one. Just means I spend less time walking back and forth to whatever container I decided to store my junk in for that playthrough. But then, I don't consider "cheating" to be a problem in a single-player RPG, anyway.
    Mortianna
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited December 2012
    Hogfather said:

You can hax in a Bag of Holding from the console if you want one enough, is bag34. Depending on your threshold for game modification this may be a bit cheaty though..

Actually, it's "bag31" for the Bag of Holding. This is the only one that is actually empty. The other ones (bag19 through bag30) all have various goodies inside them (kind of like when you start ToB as a new game).

Abellolien
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    edited December 2012
    I'll never understand people who find inventory management an exciting game challenge. Do you proofread spreadsheets for fun? EVE players, to a man. Particularly given how trivial it is. Maybe there's some theoretical way to make it an intriguing mechanic, but neverhaveiever played a game in which it was. I mean, fuck, I just played a solo playthrough with a hacked-in scrollcase (which I never once opened--scrolls went in and did not come out again) and a potion case on a strength 18/25 character and never had any inventory issues at all. And probably made about 150,000 gold over the course of the game. Far more than I could ever spend. The inventory that invents best invents least. Or something.

Anyway, yeah, you can conjure one with the console, as mentioned above, or hack one in with ShadowKeeper.
    Abel
    Poputt said:

I guess it's OP because you can shove a ton of longswords in it.

Wait, am I they only guy who does full playthroughs with Khalid?

EDIT: Can you even do that? I've never used a bag of holding before.

I use Khalid too, from the beginning to the end. He is a really good character for a good aligned party.
    edited December 2012

I don't consider inventory management fun or challenging, and a Bag of Holding does not impart any special mechanical advantages, so I always give myself one. Just means I spend less time walking back and forth to whatever container I decided to store my junk in for that playthrough. But then, I don't consider "cheating" to be a problem in a single-player RPG, anyway.

It is an advantage...

If you have a low strength, you cannot carry an heavy armor AND a lot of stuff around.

There would not be any mechanical advantage to a bag of holding only if the stuff inside had the same weight as the same stuff outside, in your inventory (so it reflex your carrying capacity).

In this bag you are be able to put thousands of heavy armors, and still be able to carry an heavy armor on yourself.

EDIT : for a solo run, that is itself a challenge, I guess you can use a bag of holding since the challenge here is not to manage your inventory/equipment as a team but to complete the game solo.

It is also a powerful item, and it is easy to guess that low level party do not discover this kind of item at the corner of the farm the are currently walking by.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    As to the point of inventory management and why it is part of the games challenge - it forces you to make strategic choices about what to bring and what you can pick up and perhaps on how you design your character (how much weight they can carry) - it limits what the party can have at their disposal 24/7 and how much they can pick up before finding a merchant or cache place - fun or annoying it is still a piece of the games challenge to the player just the same as armor restrictions, weapon restrictions, number of spells per level etc etc

I sometimes find dealing with it a nice break from the "action" and it also reminds me occasionally that it's ok to take some time to take care of mundane party needs and that I don't have to obsess only on getting to the next encounter or quest giver and finish the game as quickly as possible.

Sometimes I find it annoying too - just like life... ;-)
    Francois42424