Skip to content

WEIDU

YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
So, apparently the bigg is not interested in updating WEIDU (the 'Tuesday' comment was a joke it seems).

What does everyone think about this?

Is it even worth waiting for a WEIDU update, since there are workarounds to get the old WEIDU working with BG:EE? BG:EE update problems notwithstanding... (reinstalling all mods everytime Beamdog updates is a pain in the arse...)

Is anyone working on WEIDU in the bigg's place? Is it possible someone from Gibberlings3 could take it over?

I'm probably going to wait for the last couple of BG1 mods to come out (NPC Project and Unfinished Business) before I begin my playthrough. I guess it can't hurt to wait a bit, since Beamdog are still actively patching out bugs.

Comments

• gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    i can't get the workaround to work, so i really hope that some will update it
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    What was that talk about modding will be easier in BGEE?
    Won't we be seeing something from Beamdog once they have got all their versions and some of the bigger bugs fixed ?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    What really made BG stand out compared to any other RPG was that, besides other things, you could mod it and bend it to your will literally.

It was a long time since mods appeared that could work, and work together.

Through that time, BG has aged, but aged well.

However, at this point, if no new Weidu comes out, some people, a lot maybe, won't be able to put mods in the game. It's not the same.

And of course, BG:EE does not have the same time as the original "to be further enhanced through mods". The game has aged well, but will not withstand as much as the first one in regard to time. It won't age that well from now on.

As such, it doesn't have the luxury of time as the original had, and this worries me.

As i see it, it might be a long time till we actually see mods in this game.

And for people like me that need mods to play, so i can even play the game as i could the original(cough animations cough), it sucks.

Feels good to be me, today.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I hope we get a new version. Workaround doesn't work for me due to a nigh unfixable bug that can occur with W7.
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    i wouldda hoped that one of the Beamdog guys would get a hold of the Author and mby release a Weidu version that works ? on his sparetime or something ? would Really make a huge difference to us, same with Shadowkeeper :P so i can finally have my Kensai - Mage multiclass :P
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I believe that Wisp is going to give maintaining WeiDU a shot.
    CuvNukenin
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Mornmagor said:

[…]
    As such, it doesn't have the luxury of time as the original had, and this worries me.
    […]

Overdramatic much? BG1 hasn't gone anywhere. WeiDU currently works with BG1. Sooner or later some plucky individual will be taking up the mantle of maintaining WeiDU and we will see a version that supports BG:EE without wacky kluges.

BG:EE has all the time (left) in the world.
    Mornmagor
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Kaeloree said:

I believe that Wisp is going to give maintaining WeiDU a shot.

Yes, what @Kaeloree said here ^

Enhance your calm! Don't everyone fall into a sudden panic... LOL. We got most of the top modders over here in the beta scrambling to make mods work on BG:EE. It will get done.

MornmagorNukenin
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    I took my happy pills, i feel much better now.

Here are some anime girls to make everyone feel better.

-_o
    Nukenin said:

Mornmagor said:

[…]
    […]

Overdramatic much? BG1 hasn't gone anywhere. WeiDU currently works with BG1. Sooner or later some plucky individual will be taking up the mantle of maintaining WeiDU and we will see a version that supports BG:EE without wacky kluges.

What are you talking about?

THE WORLD ENDS 21 DECEMBER!! :O
    Cuv
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    That did indeed make me happier.. and I am not sure why!
    Mornmagor
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Mornmagor said:

Nukenin said:

Mornmagor said:

[…]
    […]

What are you talking about?

THE WORLD ENDS 21 DECEMBER!! :O
    Hence the parenthetical "(left)". :D
    MornmagorCuv
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Ima sad modder now. Time to go back to the old days of over writing files.
    Why would you do that? Even if WeiDU isn't updated (which isn't going to happen), you can still use WeiDU with BG:EE just fine if you know what to watch out for. :)
    Ah the internets and things getting lost in translation.

It was a joke. :)
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited December 2012
    @Mornmagor

indeed the world is about to end
    Mornmagor
    @CoMSolaufein Ah suddenly that makes so much more sense :D Sadly I have actually heard that statement for real in a few places. What is the world coming to, etc., etc.

@Mornmagor @junk11 I've never been so proud to be Australian!
    In some instances it is better but not in most I will say.