Skip to content

Where do NPCs go if you kick 'em out?

I would be useful to summarize (at least for me) where to find which NPC if you kick them out of your party. Also, in some cases, you you remove a certain NPC from your party several times they live for good.

Khalid & Jaheira stay where you kick 'em out. As far as I know, they can be removed and picked up again as many times as you wish.

The same goes for Edwin, Imoen, Minsc.

What about the new NPCs? I am particularly interested in Rasaad's whereabouts after removing him. He didn't tell me where to find him, and left the scene. Does anyone knows where he might be, and how many times can re-add him to the party?

Dorn told me to seek him out in the Friendly Arm Inn if I change my mind.

I think you can remove Kivan from the party only once before he leaves you for good though, I'm not sure about it.

It's useful to know if you want to try different NPCs throughout your play, so you can always puck up somebody again if you want.

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    The new NPCs go to the Friendly Arm Inn. Everyone else just sits smack where you leave them.

It's been brought up that the game made them return to the Inn as well, but we haven't heard any official word from making this happen.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @Chow Thanks for the reply. It'd be a good idea to have them go to a chosen location. Like in BG2, where you could choose from 2-3 major inns, where you want them to wait.
  • Loki330Loki330 Member Posts: 15
    If you checked the sticky explainnig what they could (and couldn't) do, the contract was very specific about adding *any* new content, even simple convenience things such as telling npcs to wait somewhere like the friendly arm inn. Simple truth is, BG: EE is 'just' a makeover and OS/platform compatibility update. On the other hand, because there's a lot of modding for BGII (and by extension, Baldur's Gate Tutu, a mod that ran BGI through BGII) and BG:EE uses a modified BGII engine, the NPC mod for Baldur's Gate I is going to be made to work with EE
  • NazadNazad Member Posts: 55
    I think Jaheira and Khalid tell you they're going to the Friendly Arms Inn. Note that if you dismiss a companion prior to finishing a quest important to them, they're probably gone for good. I think that's what's happening with Kivan (or your reputation is too low). Companions get testy if you don't do their quests. Some will leave immediately and others will stand there but eventually vanish. Time spent standing waiting for you to return counts against the amount of time they will tolerate you not completing their quests. For example, if I don't go to Nashkel fast enough, Montaron and Xzar will leave forever. I think Jaheira and Khalid will do the same.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    Also useful to know is that some NPCs will leave if you refuse to help them in your first encounter. I believe this is the case with Edwin but I'm not sure which other NPCs do this.
  • TheSwamperTheSwamper Member Posts: 21
    One tip: always accept any PC that offers to join your group, and then remove them. For some of the NPCs, if you turn them down the first time, they will never join.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Chow said:

The new NPCs go to the Friendly Arm Inn. Everyone else just sits smack where you leave them.

It's been brought up that the game made them return to the Inn as well, but we haven't heard any official word from making this happen.

After some time they return to the place where you meet them for the first time, or just to the Friendly Arm, I think. At least they do so in vanilla. I know as much, because when I played BG for the first time I captured the cloakwood mine as *my* stronghold, gave every NPC a uniform and placed them as guards in the wooden castle. After some ingame weeks or months they would leave their posts and I had to drag them back to duty.
    The_New_Romance
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2012
    @TheSwamper Yeah it just happened to me that I turned down Gerrick's offer to join me and now he is gone forever.

I removed Rasaad from my party, and he walked away. I can't seem to find him ever since. I checked in the Friendly Arm Inn, but I don't see him there. How unfortunate, I liked his character but I needed the place...

Also another interesting question. What happens if I go to the Gnoll Stronghold without ever talking to Edwin or Minsc and then I free Dynahair but don't allow her to join my party. If I go back to Nashkel and talk to Minsc and Edwin, what will happen? Can I still have join my party?
  • cedessecedesse Member Posts: 18
    Is there ANY tool that can help me find an NPC again? (In this case: Branwen the cleric)
    I had her in my party for a bit, then I dumped her ... somewhere, but I can't remember why.

It's really a pain in the bum that you can neither add notes to the world map, nor ask the dumped NPC to go to a certain 'pickup location'.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Some leave for good I think and those who don't just sit there until you go pick them up again.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    In mah belly.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Rasaad goes back to where you first meet him (outside Nashkel Inn). Neera and Dorn go to Friendly Arm Inn. No idea where Baeloth goes. Everyone else stays where you drop them.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    cedesse said:

Is there ANY tool that can help me find an NPC again? (In this case: Branwen the cleric)
    I had her in my party for a bit, then I dumped her ... somewhere, but I can't remember why.

It's really a pain in the bum that you can neither add notes to the world map, nor ask the dumped NPC to go to a certain 'pickup location'.

You can add your own personal notes to your journal. Could come in handy if you're trying to keep track of all the NPCs in your game.
    PeteAtoms
    TJ_Hooker said:

You can add your own personal notes to your journal. Could come in handy if you're trying to keep track of all the NPCs in your game.

Yes, but that's about as useful as writing it down on a piece of paper. It is extremely important that you put together a party that won't suddenly split up.
    I didn't realise just how little extra convenience BG"E"E actually offers compared to the old version, I have brought myself in a really bad position.
    It is going to take ages to find the dumped NPCs now, unless there is a decent cheat/workaround.

I fail to see the charm in not adding any conveniences like this to the original game. It's basically just a nuisance (waste of time)... Like spending time picking up single gold pieces from squished Xvart bodies, or failed attempts to copy a spell to the spellbook.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    This is why I always end up with a crowded Friendly Arms Inn. I dump ALL the NPCs I come across over there (whether I plan on using them in my party or not, I like to know where I can get them should I feel the need to).
    TJ_Hookersterkelm
    @cedesse: You could console the "lost" NPCs. I don't know what level or status they appear as, since I always park mine in the small bar in Nashkel (if I may need them later), or outside said bar (if they are dead and I build a pile of bodies.)
    cedesse
    I will see what I can do with the console. One thing is certain: I definetely won't start over at this point or even go back to a very, very old savegame.

Right now, my party consists of:
    My PC mage (charisma 13 - and I think the BP Series Party AI Scripts mod I just installed has somehow blocked his ability to cast spells!)
    Imoen
    Kivan
    Yeslick (not very impressive at this point in the game, not really what I need)
    Viconia (She's scared off Ajantis so far)
    Dragila (a Minsc/Dorn substitute. A customized NPC (female fighter) imported via multiplayer mode)

Walked out:
    Ajantis
    Dorn
    Minsc (time limit on Dynaheir quest expired)

I am desperately looking for Branwen, because Viconia and Kivan have had enough of each other.
    I don't want to use paired NPCs like Khalid and Jaheira (tried that twice before).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @cedesse -
    cedesse said:

I fail to see the charm in not adding any conveniences like this to the original game. It's basically just a nuisance (waste of time)...

I agree, but it simply wasn't allowed by their contract to make such changes.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I don't know where they go but I suspect they're wearing all the socks I've ever lost in the dryer.
    TJ_Hookeruh6091b
    Dorn should be at FAI. Minsc has vanished if the quest expired. No idea about Ajantis. Did you remove him or did he leave on his own? If so... why? I never heard he'd do that, just that he has a chance to get into fights to death with evil NPCs (except Viconia, for some reason).
    He doesn't walk out, but at some point Ajantis simply decides to attack Viconia (so apparently Ajantis doesn't make any exceptions after all).
    I needed Viconia more at that point, so I had to dump him... But at least I know where he is. And the same goes for Dorn. ;)
    ... But I'm going to use the console to 'respawn' Branwen if it can be done. I haven't found the code string yet.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    In my game the NPCs go where you tell them to, FAI, Beregost, Nashkel, of the City of Baldur.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2013
    If I remember correctly, Branwen may leave forever if you remove her, there are several NPCs who do this.

Edit - Just tested this and either I was wrong or they've changed NPCs to stay where you drop them. In either case I can confirm that Coran, Safana and Branwen all wait where you leave them if their specific quests are complete. The new Spoileriffic sorcerer NPC has the option to wait hidden outside the Friendly Arm Inn.
    Post edited by Corvino on
    KidCarnival
    I dare not use the CLUAconsole to respawn Branwen after all. :/
    As far as I understand it will most likely not be the real Branwen character but simply a clone. This will most likely disrupt the game/quests related to her.

I still can't believe that there is no way of finding out where I dropped her... :S
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    cedesse said:

I dare not use the CLUAconsole to respawn Branwen after all. :/
    As far as I understand it will most likely not be the real Branwen character but simply a clone. This will most likely disrupt the game/quests related to her.

Apart from the "quest" to get her out of her initial state, there's not anything more, even though the quest log seems to indicate so. Sadly nothing at all happens when you bring her into contact with the person who put her in her initial pre-recruitment state, no matter how you go about it. I understand the NPC Project did something about that, here's hoping a EE version is on the way...
    TJ_Hooker