Skip to content

Romance

Comments

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2012
    well sorry if i sound like an ass, but remember that 80-90% of the players are male so adding content for that is probably better for sales.. but as i read down the page it seems like ppl spottede that all are, R options and thats really cool.

hope the blackguard is gay
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    etagloc said:

well sorry if i sound like an ass, but remember that 80-90% of the players are male so adding content for that is probably better for sales.. but as i read down the page it seems like ppl spottede that all are, R options and thats really cool.

hope the blackguard is gay

Except most straight guys would rather have a lesbian romance than a gay romance.

Unless if that's what you're trying to say, then my bad my for misinterpreting.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

I always wonder what clear mind can write such romances you know... I mean:D

EDIT: this is not an insult or anything.

You mean gay romances? Well, someone who's gay would have the best feel for it, you wouldn't say gays don't have a clear mind do you, or it would indeed be an insult?

edited July 2012
    Dream said:

Except most straight guys would rather have a lesbian romance than a gay romance.

Unless if that's what you're trying to say, then my bad my for misinterpreting.

i interpret egagloc's post as saying, if 80%-90% of players are male, there's more gay than lesbian players, so a gay romance would please a greater amount of people, well more non-straight people at the least. Though as a heterosexual male, I dig your opinion guys would rather have a lesbian romance. But I want to speak out for gay gamers too, though I doubt I can filch my gay friend away from Skyrim (where same-sex marriage is possible, so I've heard, so that's cool).

About sane minds: I'm wandering more 'who with a sane mind would date a half-orc?', but I'm afraid that's a racist standpoint. Unfinished Business for BG1 has an encounter with a half-orc in love on the road to Nashkel.

• WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    Dream said:

A bisexual female character is just far more likely to occur in media than a bisexual male character. Just a fact of life.

Yea, that was pretty much my reasoning.
    This is without a doubt true.
    But on the other hand think about "Thestraightmalegamer" (for those who remember the post DA2 discussion.
    How would one of them react if a female character can pick between good human , evil half ork, and neutral half elf while a male toon is stuck with another pointy eared girl, who you even have to buy seperatly (not to mention that BG2:EE will add at least three more (half-)elfen girls to the rooster.
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    hum get a real girl friend insted much more stuff that can go the rong way or the right way its like always riding a bike in 300 km a hour and waiting for turns
  • TroutTrout Member Posts: 2

every romance talk turns into a gay talk. Whats up with that? Is this a modern era trend I overslept? And honestly, what would BHALL himself think when his son cant give him a grandchild because of his sexual orientation.

And your problem with that is?

Yes, Bhaal was so worried about his spawn giving him offspring he made only one son which is a manly het man with strong sperm. Oh wait.

every romance talk turns into a gay talk.

Yes, it's a modern trend. I stand accused of taking serious emancipation of minority groups. Being of a minority group myself (people with psychiatric disorders), fighting for emancipation is my raison d'etre, even, sometimes, on gaming boards.

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    my problem would be teh wrath of Bhaal;)
  • TroutTrout Member Posts: 2
    Bring the wrath on, I'll get him with my pink rainbow ponnies :P
    seeka
    Wittand said:

But on the other hand think about "Thestraightmalegamer" (for those who remember the post DA2 discussion.
    How would one of them react if a female character can pick between good human , evil half ork, and neutral half elf while a male toon is stuck with another pointy eared girl, who you even have to buy seperatly (not to mention that BG2:EE will add at least three more (half-)elfen girls to the rooster.

I don't know about DA2 discussions but you have a point about romanceable races for hetero male charname's: elves are over-represented.

I was talking about minorities: well, aside from gays (and this is a serious remark as well, not a joke), what's missing in the game is more involvement with shorty races: romance options are practically nil for dwarves, gnomes and halflings. I'm not sure what pointy-ears girls date shorties, but if I'm a dwarf, gnome or halfling, I want to date a girl or fellow of my own size! But I think I'll try out the Mazzy romance mod for that, one day.

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I just wonder how hard it will be to have the female characters be romance-able by female PCs.

I'm a guy, but I rather have a female toon on my screen than a male toon. Females are just more pleasant to look at. Likewise, I'd rather romance a female toon than a male toon.
  • RaggieRaggie Member Posts: 23
    etagloc said:

well sorry if i sound like an ass, but remember that 80-90% of the players are male

According to last year's study, 42% of gamers are female. I believe of the HC Bioware fans the number is close to 50/50.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Could you name the study?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

every romance talk turns into a gay talk. Whats up with that? Is this a modern era trend I overslept? And honestly, what would BHALL himself think when his son cant give him a grandchild because of his sexual orientation.

...Bhaal's plan is for all of his children to die violent deaths. He couldn't care less what their sexual orientations are.

Alparon
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556

every romance talk turns into a gay talk. Whats up with that? Is this a modern era trend I overslept?

Usually what happens is someone casually mentions their interest in a gay romance and then gets flamed by random people who object to them for no good reason.

And honestly, what would BHALL himself think when his son cant give him a grandchild because of his sexual orientation.

He would probably think that their blood would look better running through the streets to fuel his rebirth. Bhaal is not an overbearing mother in a bad sitcom, he is the Lord of Murder...
    seekatrinit
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Perhaps we should let romance stay outside the computer and focus on playing an game? Dating on an rpg game isn't half as fun as in rl, so why bother? hehehe. Cheers
    Zymran86cbarchukTH0R
    Romance sub-plots are an aspect of the game, so we're discussing them. It's not "dating on an RPG" (the word game is already in the acronym RPG, btw) so much as exploring another part of the story. These characters camp, fight, and kill together every day for months at a time, so it's only natural that relationships could develop.
    seekapaulsifer42TheSkrin
    Yes, I see the point of it, but I think perhaps people focus to mutch on who can shag who...
    cbarchuk

Dating on an rpg game isn't half as fun as in rl, so why bother?

I can't date, I'm married.
    FillaFillasonTheSkrin
    Haha! I see, so this is your kind of affair then ;-P
    Raggie
    edited July 2012

Yes, I see the point of it, but I think perhaps people focus to mutch on who can shag who...

If your favored form of Player Character cannot snag a Non-Player Character you like, you're going to be understandably disappointed.
    paulsifer42TheSkrin

Haha! I see, so this is your kind of affair then ;-P

I think you're right. ;-) Don't get me wrong, I love being married and I wouldn't change my husband for anything in the world... But sometimes I just miss dating and the "new love feeling", you know? I'll (hopefully) never fall in love and go through courting again, so it's fun to live through my characters. ;-)

seekapaulsifer42
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Romance simply adds to the immersion of the game. If NPCs can have a romance, like Jaheira-Khalid in BG1, then why can't PC-NPCs have a romance? It's not like everyone on Faerun reproduces asexually (though some species do), so adding romance into roleplaying feels natural.

It would be nice to have some same-gender romances be available as well. It wouldn't have to be for all characters, and it might break the suspension of disbelief somewhat if all NPCs were bisexual. Though you could also imagine for example a male NPC being straight in the universe of a female PC, but being gay in the universe of a male PC.

I personally would regret it somewhat if I had to role a male PC to be able to romance females, so I hope that Neera, and later on the BG2 NPCs, will either swing both ways out of the package, or that that would be easy to mod in. I'm personally not interested in male-male scenarios, but I can imagine it being of interest to others.
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    while I do not like to play with female characters and certainly hate to romance Sir Dumbass of the Order of the Radiant Heart, I certainly believe that there should be a romance option for girls. Kagain maybe :D
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    @Raggie

Let's not fool ourselves, those 70% they talk about mostly play WoW or RANDOMNAMEVille... Oh and Angry birds.

On the romances I must say that a half orc is interesting lol but I wouldnt be surprised if at some point you found yourself undesirably "handled". It's a hard race to write I hope they did it well.

Btw, know what would be great, npc "romance" yes, but no "touching", especialy not something like ME "hey, we are going to the final mission so...."
    Post edited by Razor on
    Razor said:

Raggie said:

According to last year's study, 42% of gamers are female. I believe of the HC Bioware fans the number is close to 50/50.

Let's not fool ourselves, those 70% they talk about mostly play WoW or RANDOMNAMEVille... Oh and Angry birds.

...And? Does playing video games somehow not make you a gamer?
    Razor said:

I'll never understand why so many guys have so much trouble accepting the fact that female gamers playing their favorite games are not a tiny minority anymore. :-D

There have been polls about gender many times at Bioware Social Network, and the difference between male and female have been small and keep getting smaller. Also look at the character support threads: male LIs have just as long threads as female LIs. There are plenty of ladies playing these games!